“Modern design & extremely friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Spring Savings 15% off
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California
“Modern design & extremely friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at the The Goodland recently for work and was pleasantly surprised by the spacious, modern rooms as well as the great attitude of the staff. By my own fault I had reserved the wrong room and the front desk was super friendly and willing to help accommodate me (even though the booking issue was 100% my fault!)

Bottom line this is an excellent hotel to stay in if you're exploring the Santa Barbara or Goleta with plenty of parking, a really nice bar and super comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: I will say, if you're traveling for work, don't get a room that faces the pool as they do te...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

For the price (on the expensive side at $303/night incl all the crazy feed) it was at first underwhelming. From the outside it looks like an old Motel that you drive up and park outside your room. On the insides they've spent time and money decorating nicely (hip) and it was very clean. The bed was really good with great linens. Internet was 4.8mb upload and download so better than most hotels I've been to. It was very quiet except for when someone would walk past your room on the concrete walkway.

Bottom line is we that, for the price, this is not a "have to return" to place. It was nice and that they allowed a one night stay was nice and filled our need, but we aren't dying to return.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After driving over 7 hours, upon our arrival Friday night we found the carpet in our room to be absolutely filthy, covered in stains and the room was musty and horrible. Not what I expected from a "hotel". So, I requested to have a hard floors room , and the hotel said they'd charge you $40/night extra for an upgrade. So we sucked it up and said yes. We get our keys, and go into the second room, STILL has filthy carpet!! I can't believe this is acceptable to housekeeping. So I go down to the reception desk for the third time to get to an actual hard floors room. Got there and thought finally we can rest, we peeled off the bed cover only to see the bedding was COVERED IN HAIR!!!! Eyelashes on pillows, hair all over bedding.. GROSS!! Housekeeping never bothered changing the sheets between guests. Oh my god!! I tried to call housekeeping and there was no one - all gone for the day and no one will change our bedding. What a joke. So I went down to front desk for the FOURTH TIME. The guy who was there could not care less. It's like he's not getting paid to do his job. No apologies, no care, NOTHING. Handed me over the 4th set of keys for the night. We enter the fourth room, and we thought to ourselves, what's going on? Did someone leave the radio on? I went to check and it was off, only to realize it is your next door neighbors. You can hear every word, every tune everything in the next room. They had music and TV on, and there is no way you can sleep with your headboard facing their side of the wall where all the noise was coming from.

I asked to immediately checkout and get our money back. The guy did not care less. I do not know his name because they don't even wear name badges.

I tell you, IT IS A GLORIFIED dirty motel. You know what they say. Polish a t****** still a t****** !! And that's exactly what it was.

This place does not look like a hotel, or has service like a hotel..If you want a hotel look elsewhere. This place is a motel. It looks like one and even smells like one. Dirty dirty dirty.

The place reeked of cigarette smoke too, there are smokers all over the motel walk ways. This is NOT a smoke free place, so you room will either stink of must or cigarettes.

I'd rather stay in a motel than stay here. And, believe you me, we decided to drive 5 hours back home than stay the night. We got home at 4am in the morning.

THANKS FOR RUINING OUR WEEKEND IN SANTA BARBARA

EVERYONE, AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs, unless you want to catch some disease off the bedding/furniture
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello Mckiwis,

We are very sorry for your experience here at the Goodland. It sounds like we failed on multiple levels, most importantly, one of our core values, care. I can assure you that we will go back to the drawing board in coaching the team. I can understand the frustration that you are expressing and hope that you can contact me so I can try and resolve it.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This property has changed hands several times over the years, but its newest evolution is its best. We love The Goodland for its cool Bohemian (or is it Hipster) vibe, great location just north of S.B., dog-friendly nature, well-groomed grounds and community spaces, service, and comfortably-chic guest rooms. If you like the ACE Hotels in LA or Palm Springs, this property is perfect for you.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Hello RyanB2011,

It's great to see that you enjoyed your stay and felt the comfort that The Goodland delivers. While we are similar to The Ace, we hope you were able to feel the Kimpton Standard when its comes to service and personality.

We hope to see you again soon.

Colorado, US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Spring break left me with few choices as many hotels were booked. I found this one and it looks spectacular when you arrive. The lobby is amazing. But this is an old crappy motel that was remodeled, but still has paper thin walls and poorly maintained. The rooms carpeting had dozens of stains on it, the door to the room was sticky and difficult to open, and you have to pay extra for WIFI. For $200 a night, WIFI should be free. I couldn't tell you how much it was for the WIFI, because it didn't even work so that one could buy it if they wanted.

I arrived at around 1AM, and by 5AM, people were starting to leave and the noise wasn't conducive for sleeping. I essentially paid $50/hour to sleep in an uncomfortable bed with a lot of pillows.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
Hello CoeyCoey,

I am so sorry to see that you were unable to enjoy your short stay at The Goodland. As you now know we have an older renovated property. Some things like walls unfortunately cannot be replaced but we are working on remedies to room quietness. As for the carpets, we will be undergoing replacements of damaged ones this year.
I hope that you can give The Goodland another chance and I am confident that if you do, you will not be disappointed.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

After suffering through Friday afternoon LA traffic we reached The Goodland just in time for their Wine Hour. Instant mood changer!!!! Checking in for our weekend stay with a glass of Chardonnay in hand boosted my spirits. There was a lot of activity in the lobby, and the staff were doing their best to ensure everyone's happiness at Happy Hour. We drove around to our room. It was on the second floor and required us to take an outdoor staircase - which is fine for us. Maybe not for other people. The room faced the rear parking lot AND the mountains which made it quieter than a room facing the active pool area. To ensure privacy from everyone walking the outdoor hallway, the drapes must be pulled. The room was clean, kind of "retro-surf-chic" as opposed to luxurious, and I just LOVED having a turntable to play. What fun! The bathroom was on the small side, but it was completely satisfactory.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the mountains and parking lot might be quieter than rooms facing the pool and outdoor d...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Barbara m,

So glad you enjoyed your stay here at The Goodland. Social is my favorite part of the day and I am happy to see that you got to experience it. We hope to see you see soon.

san ramon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In comparison to hotels in this area, the Goodland is definitely one of the better ones for the price. The rooms are nicely updated with modern yet shabby chic décor. Front office desk are helpful. There is complimentary coffee and tea in the AM and nightly entertainment. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quiet.
Hi NoStopSigns,

Thanks for your great feedback. The Front Desk staff is awesome I will be sure to share this feedback with them. We look forward to you stopping by The Goodland again!

Seth

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!