“Fun place, great alternative near Santa Barbara” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off Limited Time Only
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Fun place, great alternative near Santa Barbara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were driving up the coast with our kids. Santa Barbara was our target spot. Found this place and it looked like a good alternative at a decent price. Very happy with the choice. They did a fantastic job renovating and completely revamping this Holiday Inn. Great decor and great little touches everywhere like backgammon table in the lobby. Record player and a few records in our room. We got in late and had an amazing meal in the restaurant. Very modern cuisine and great signature bar drinks. THE STAFF WAS EXCELLENT - VERY NICE AND HELPFUL. If you're looking for a short stopover spot for the family, I would say this is an excellent choice.

Only two minor complaints: 1.) we asked for an extra blanket and it never came. 2.) there was a puddle of water outside our room which I assume was from the automatic sprinklers nearby - it never dried and we had to be careful not to track water into the room.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
HI Bill,

I am glad to see that you choose to stay at The Goodland and that you were able to enjoy the details of our hotel. We really appreciate the great feedback about the staff and will be sure to share that with them. We will also follow on the mishaps such as your request not being competed and standing water outside your room. We hope to see you at The Goodland soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here when we visited Santa Barbara because I bought a deal on Travelzoo. We pretty much just slept and showered here so I can’t comment on the Good Bar or other amenities but I did take some pictures that I thought might be useful for people looking to book. First impression: The Goodland is very hipster (which I'm into). There’s an old school camper and Woody station wagon in the parking lot and a little firepit area on the side. The lobby has a cool couch with an animal skull mounted on the wall and the rooms have a record player and a tribal print wall hanging. The check in time is 4pm and we had arrived early (1-1:30ish). We were told our room wouldn’t be ready for probably another hour so we went to Zodo’s (a nearby bowling alley with a bar) to have a drink. The person at the desk was supposed to call me when our room was ready and never did which was annoying to me because I was eagerly waiting to get ready to go to State Street to bar hop. It’s a revamped motel so you park outside your room. I was woken up in the middle of the night by loud people walking around in the parking lot and I’m a heavy sleeper. The bathroom had an Aaron Brothers frame without a picture in it hung up which I thought was funny. When we checked in, we were informed of a happy hour with free wine but we weren’t able to make it. Thought that sounded nice. I liked how the place was decorated and think it’s a cool place to stay in Goleta but for the price, you might be better staying in SB than taking an Uber like we did.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello VolcomDawl,

Thanks for you feedback regarding your stay and thanks for returning to The Goodland. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your overall stay but want to apologize on missing the details such as calling you when your room was ready and the frame in your room. This feedback will help us in becoming a better property and look forward to welcoming you back to it.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
So Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed in Feb 2015. Its a converted Holiday Inn. I found the decor very nice in the lobby. The front desk women was very friendly and helpful. Our room had nice decor and was clean. The restaurant was terrific. We saw live music in a ball room and had a blast. My only gripe is they wanted $12.99 for wifi which I did not pay for. In my room, #17X, I could not get on Verizon's 4G network and had to walk outside to the street to get connection on my phone.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Ian M, General Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are all thrilled that you had a great time with and thank you for the great comments about our décor. I am so sorry that you had issues with our wireless. We actually offer free wireless internet if you sign up for our amazing Kimpton Karma program. It is not your average loyalty program and offers amazing perks while remaining free to your guests to enroll. Thank you again for your great comments and I hope to see you back at The Goodland again very soon!
~Ian Robert McClendon
Interim General Manager
ian.mcclendon@kimptonhotels.com
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Yes, The Goodland was once a Holiday Inn motel from the 60s. Yes, you park your car around the U-shaped hotel and walk directly to your exterior room door.
But that doesn't mean it feels like a motel.

From the warm, beach-chic interior decorating, to the resort-style swimming pool and outside restaurant, you'll feel relaxed the moment you step foot on the property. I know that sounds like marketing print, but it's truly how my weekend felt.

Pros:
-> The staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome, and are extremely friendly.
-> The rooms are spacious, and include cute touches like a record player and surfing memorabilia.
-> The outdoor restaurant patio and sectional furniture around the pool feel very modern and sophisticated.
-> Evening wine hour was supplemented with spiked agua fresca, which was delicious!

Cons:
-> Resort fee. Don't claim "all this is complimentary as usual at Kimpton Hotels", and then finish it with "if you pay a resort fee of $28 incl tax".
-> Thin walls. Not easy to fix, but I could hear people walking outside the room at all times.
-> For some reason, housekeeping did not understand the little sign on our door that was provided to indicate "Do Not Disturb", and despite our "NO!" response each time they knocked, came back no less than five times between 9 and 11 am. Very frustrating.

All in all, they're doing remarkably well with the existing accommodations they've remodeled.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms will have less guest travelling noise. Plus you get easy car access!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello sudobuntu,

We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay and will celebrate the success of our staff providing great service. We will also address the issues of the Housekeeping team not honoring your privacy. We hope that in the future we see you at The Goodland again soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a nice retro motel. Because we were staying in the back of the property, we didn't have any issues with noise from the restaurant or bar-- it was very quiet. You might want to ask for a room back there. The rooms are super well appointed and cute-- they even provide a record turntable to play records on. It was very clean and the staff was all extremely friendly and helpful. The area is also nice and convenient to grocery stores and pharmacies for anything you might have forgotten. And the bar is actually really nice and a good hang out spot. I would definitely stay there again.

One weird thing about the property is that the bathroom is not very well laid out for privacy-- to maximize space, the designers replaced the regular doors with a new semi-opaque sliding door that doesn't seal, so everyone in the room can hear everything, and the door encloses the whole bathroom, so if you want to use the sink while someone is in the shower you have to be comfortable enough to walk in on them. It isn't a problem if you're traveling with family but it might be a little embarrassing if you're traveling with friends you're not completely comfortable with yet.

The other thing to note is that there is an extra "resort" fee of $25 per day that you have to pay. It might not say that on the booking site you use, it only showed up for us after we booked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back so you don't have to deal with noise.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Hello burntsienna,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay. I am glad to see that our staff was able to provide excellent service. We hope that you were able to enjoy some of the programming that comes along with the resort fee.

We look forward to hosting you again soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2015

Which was extremely loud (DJ, live band, etc) and gave me a room facing the pool. Would have been nice to warn us before booking.

As another person mentioned, the Goodwin is an overpriced, slightly higher end motel. Even without the party the rooms have a lot of noise due to a lack of insulation or proper sealing of the doors.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Goodland. I am very sorry that the event at the pool was not communicated to you properly. If you give us another try I know we can make it up to you.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

This newly renovated and rebranded Kimpton hotel still has the look and feel of small motel. In addition, the staff at reception, and housekeeping are not very professional or organized. Unless they get their act together quickly, this property will put the Kimpton name to shame.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2015
MsSassy19,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the Goodland. Your comments about the staff being unprofessional is something that we will address immediately. At Kimpton Hotels we promote our staff to be themselves and we want to create comfortable and fun experiences but it sounds like we were unable to do that while you were here. We hope that in the future you are able to give The Goodland another try.

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!