“They hosted an office party for Sonos at their pool...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Goleta, CA 93117 (Formerly Hotel Goleta)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
25% off and a Massage
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“They hosted an office party for Sonos at their pool...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Which was extremely loud (DJ, live band, etc) and gave me a room facing the pool. Would have been nice to warn us before booking.

As another person mentioned, the Goodwin is an overpriced, slightly higher end motel. Even without the party the rooms have a lot of noise due to a lack of insulation or proper sealing of the doors.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This newly renovated and rebranded Kimpton hotel still has the look and feel of small motel. In addition, the staff at reception, and housekeeping are not very professional or organized. Unless they get their act together quickly, this property will put the Kimpton name to shame.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
MsSassy19,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the Goodland. Your comments about the staff being unprofessional is something that we will address immediately. At Kimpton Hotels we promote our staff to be themselves and we want to create comfortable and fun experiences but it sounds like we were unable to do that while you were here. We hope that in the future you are able to give The Goodland another try.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed a couple of days per my sweet friend Michael's urging from Kimpton Seattle!

What an adorable renovation they did to this property! Great decor. BeAuto fully appointed rooms, great linens style and it was all that you should expect in a fun new Kimpton property.

The staff are well trained with Kimpton style! Great service and genuine caring!

I will be back! What a huge value for the stay!

Room Tip: Pool view, I would prefer lower level
Green Features: Super, they do an exceptional job. Aware of water issues and share with guests. I appreciate that!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Hello Sunnynlajolla,

Thank you so much for your great feedback! we are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to create a fun and memorable experience. We hope so see you often and soon back at The Goodland.
Tehachapi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very cool redone Holiday Inn, with a sixties feel and amazing ambiance. The service was fantastic! Ten minutes from Santa Barbara at 1/2 the price. This pet friendly hotel had great food and cocktails and we loved riding the complimentary bikes to the beach. The only complaint were the horribly dirty carpets in the newly renovated rooms.. They had oil stains and other weird stains..

• Stayed January 2015
Hello Kris T,

Thank you for such great feedback regarding your stay at The Goodland.I am excited to see our staff was helpful and happy. I am even more excited to inform you that we have addressed our carpets to ensure that our guests our not experiencing the stains you are referring to. I am confident that when you return you will be delighted to see how far we have come!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the nice things about Kimpton Hotel properties is that no two seem to be alike, and the Goodland is a great illustration of this. You certainly won't confuse it with many other places.

The Goodland appears to have started out life at some point (the 1950s or 1960s perhaps?) as a vintage MOTEL, which Kimpton must have acquired at some point over the years and turned it into what it is now. It still has a retro motel layout--park your car in the large parking lot, and walk directly to your room, all of which have front doors that open directly to outside, motel-style. The main building is a two-story motel-type structure surrounding a nice pool/garden area. The nicely-designed lobby area houses an attractive bar and restaurant. I don't often eat at hotel restaurants because, as a rule, I find them to be overpriced and uninspiring, but the dinner menu at this restaurant looked appealing so after a long day of traveling we decided to give it a shot rather than driving down to central Santa Barbara for dinner, and we were glad we did--dinner was outstanding, both in terms of the food and the service! I'd recommend eating there even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

The hotel aims for a retro "beach" theme, with such touches as a restored 1950s Ford Woody Wagon with a vintage surfboard on top and vintage Airstream trailer parked in the entryway in front of the lobby, and "beach" themed furnishings and decorations in the rooms and common areas.

The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. The heating/AC system seems to work well, and all of the furnishings and electrical/plumbing equipment are good quality and in good repair. Continuing the retro theme, each room even has a cheap record player and a few random records to play, along with a box of other records at the front desk you can swap them out for and listen to. (For you kids, a "record" is a big black vinyl disc with groves in it, which you put on a "turntable"--a device that spins the "record" and that has a "tonearm" with a "cartridge" and a diamond "stylus" that fits into the grooves on the "record" as it turns on the "turntable" and magically translates the information in the grooves into "sounds" that are played through an amplifier and speaker. Ask your grandparents about it.) Unfortunately, our record player didn't work right, but it's still a fun idea.

The location isn't particularly exciting--a block or two off of US 101 in Goleta (the unexciting suburb just north of Santa Barbara, in which U.C. Santa Barbara and the Santa Barbara airport are both located), and there isn't much around the property other than strip malls. But it was a quiet location despite the proximity to 101, and only a 10 minute or so drive to the main part of Santa Barbara.

Like all Kimpton properties, pets are allowed (and not just allowed, but actually WELCOMED) at no additional cost. And like all Kimpton properties, there's free Wi-Fi for Kimpton Karma Points members, and there's a free early evening wine/hors d'oeuvres reception in the lobby for all guests, and while all the Kimpton properties host a pretty nice one of these, this one was better than most of the others I've tried!

The Santa Barbara area is, of course, a very expensive place for hotel accommodations, but the price here was quite moderate for the area--under $200 with no advance reservations or special deals. It's common to pay a lot more in the area and get a lot less.

I liked this place quite a lot--it was "quirky" in a GOOD way, like many Kimpton properties are. I will definitely stay here again the next time I need accommodations in the area.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a basic hotel that has paid far more attention to style than substance. For the price that we booked, I don't want to complain. Finding a decent hotel that allowed my two dogs to stay in the Santa Barbara area, at the very reasonable price we got, was great. The hotel is located in a nice section of Goleta, right next to shopping and restaurants. That said, the hotel built itself up before our visit so much that we were disappointed in how the hotel missed so many marks.

One of my pet peeves is seeing hotels quote a rate, then surprising their customers with an additional “resort fee” of $25 to $30 upon checking out. This hotel did show a resort fee of $28 (including tax) in addition to the rate that was listed. The resort fee is ridiculous and unfair, particularly for this hotel. I was therefore gratified to see, upon checkout, that the hotel had credited my room for the resort fee without my having to ask.

Here's the hotel's description of their resort fee:

Resort Fee
An additional $25 (plus tax) resort fee will be added per room each night of your stay. This fee includes self-parking, evening social hour, fitness classes, live music events and more. View all of the unique services and amenities included at The Goodland as part of the resort fee.

Keep in touch with complimentary WiFi on all your devices for Kimpton Karma Rewards members, Join Now » - See more at: http://www.thegoodland.com/resort-fee.html#sthash.c7INc8l4.dpuf

Here's what's ridiculous about the above. If you join the Kimpton Karma rewards program, which is free, one of the benefits is free wifi at all the Kimpton hotels:

fREE WIFI
Enjoy it on all your devices during every stay with us. It's free, it's easy

Well, I don't need to tell you that this is ridiculous. I get free wifi as a Kimpton Karma member, but the Goodland hotel is going to charge me $25 plus tax so I can get free wifi as a Kimpton Karma member. As a matter of fact, if I pay the resort fee and don't want to sign up as a Kimpton Karma member, then I will still be charged for wifi, even after paying the $28 (total) resort fee. Now, that is ridiculous.

Again, I was gratified to see that the hotel had credited my room for the resort fee without my having to ask.

The Goodland is an old motel (obviously recently renovated) with outside rooms that open directly to parking, and interior rooms surrounding a pool and courtyard. It seems to be still in the process of being remodeled. I saw some folks moving chairs around on the second floor of my building at 9pm and called the front office to be sure that they weren't being burglarized. I walked to three corners of the hotel on the second floor before finding a working ice machine on the first floor (every corner had an old, broken ice machine).

The hotel's website tooted its own horn on being pet-friendly, but I'd call the hotel more pet-heedless than friendly. I write more below.

Management has paid a lot of attention paid to the “retro, surfing” style of the hotel and the rooms. The rooms have surfing magazines on the coffee table, and old portable turntables and even vinyl records for the turntable (our room had copies of The Surfing Journal” showing that management really knows surfing magazines, and albums by Stevie Wonder and Chuck Mangione).

Here's an example of style over substance:

The shower arrangement features a fixed glass window so that you must enter the shower and stand under the fancy shower head in order to turn on the water. The shower head can't be turned far enough so it won't hit you if you are standing in the shower stall. Therefore, this scenario will always happen: Instead of being able to stand to the side, you must stand under the shower head and turn on the water. You will ALWAYS therefore get a shot of cold water on your naked body before jumping out of the way. You will have to thrust your naked body under the cold shower head to adjust it until it is hot enough or cold enough to your liking. If you are unlucky and inexperienced, you may turn the faucet too far to the hot side and then scald yourself when thrusting your body under the shower head. All this could have been avoided if the designer had put in a sliding glass door rather than a fixed glass.

I have yet another complaint about the shower. The floor of the shower has a nice, decorative covering of pebbles in the floor. The pebbles in the floor look nice but provide perfect hiding places for fungus and bacteria. I guarantee that housekeeping does not properly scrub and sanitize the pebbly floor of the shower. It's unsanitary and difficult to clean. The pebbles also hurt my feet. I wish I had thought to bring my flip-flops to wear in the shower, which is what I bring on my diving trips to third-world countries. I did not think that I would need shower shoes for a luxury hotel brand like the Kimpton.

I had heard of how well Kimpton Hotels treat guests who bring dogs. We have two labrador retrievers that we like to travel with. I was therefore looking forward to staying at a Kimpton and enjoying a truly pet-friendly hotel, as the Kimpton Hotels advertise on their websites.

First, here's what I'd expect from a pet-friendly hotel.

If a hotel says that it is pet-friendly, then I'd not want to have to read the fine print to find out that they only allow pets under 25 or even 50 pounds. This is not pet-friendly; it is “cat- and small white yapping dog -friendly.”

A pet-friendly policy means that a hotel does not, in the fine print, charge a fee for my dog. If the hotel charges a fee for every dog, then that hotel “allows pets for an additional charge” and is not “pet-friendly.” I've seen hotels that charge $100 or more for a pet and advertise that they are pet-friendly. This is ridiculous.

A pet-friendly hotel has an area for dogs to stretch and do their business. It has a trash can in that area and bags for pet waste. Pets need some open grassy areas near the hotel; if a hotel does not have these amenities, then it is not “pet-friendly.” It is “pet-heedless.”

Score two for the Goodland – it is truly pet-friendly in these two regards. This hotel does not charge extra for pets, and it allows pets of any size, not just pint-sized yappers. Subtract a point for the Goodland as it has no open areas, designated pet areas, pet relief areas, trash cans, or pet waste bags anywhere that I could find on the entire property. There was a really nice lawn behind the pool inside the courtyard, but that was NOT a pet-relief area – it was a place for folks to sunbathe and do yoga.

With the above caveats, here's what the Kimpton Goodland hotel states on its website:

Your pet is always welcome at our pet friendly Goleta hotel just minutes from Santa Barbara and the beach. The Goodland is where you'll find a whole list of amenities tailored expressly for your four-legged friend. Pet beds, food and water bowls are just the start. We also accept your pet unconditionally, without any size or weight restrictions or extra charges. And outside our doors, you'll find great options for scenic walks and runs including Goleta's West Ellwood Beach or Hendry's beach, which has a dog friendly off leash policy. Kimpton Hotels has thought of everything for our VIPs-your Very Important Pets. - See more at: http://www.thegoodland.com/santa-barbara-hotel/pet-friendly.html#sthash.SHQOo2Vd.dpuf

Everyone deserves a little respect. Your pet is welcomed by name. Sometimes, our Directors of Pet Relations might be there to greet you with a tail wag.
A selection of hotel amenities and extras including plush pet-bed loaners in your guest room, food, water bowls and mats.
A concierge list of nearby pet-friendly restaurants, parks, groomers and pet boutiques.
Door hangers alert other hotel guests and staff that your cat, dog, or other beloved pet is in the room.
Courtesy bags for walking your dog.
Nightly complimentary wine reception — pets are welcome to join the party!

I asked at the front desk about their list of nearby pet-friendly areas. The clerk was a nice guy, but he had no idea about any such list.

Again, this is a basic motel that has been gussied up. If the price is reasonable, and you are looking for a motel in the Santa Barbara that is relatively affordable and allows pets – then this is a good bet. If you want a luxury hotel, you might be disappointed. The hotel does not even have a hot tub.

Room Tip: If you have pets, choose a room on the outside and first floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We live nearby but after the holidays we needed to unwind for a night and thought it would be a fun place to hunker in for a night, watch some movies, and de-stress. I had a friend who stayed at the hotel when it first opened who raved about it, and the price was very in-expensive to stay there. We were greeted by the most friendly man at the front desk. He informed us that the restaurant and bar at the restaurant were closed because it was new years day. I was kind of bummed but knew there were restaurants within two minutes walking distance. The grounds are fun- they have many spots that are great to sit out and have a drink and lounge. The pool area is great and they have corn hole bean bag games set up on the lawn. The pool was heated and at a great temperature for swimming. I can't wait to go back this spring/summer when the weather is warmer and really take advantage of the pool area. The room was very clean. I love the retro vibe and the record players are a fun touch. The only bummer was that they had limited cable channels and no pay per view (although, I called to ask if there was pay per view and they said they have a request into Kimpton about it). They also have free wine and hot toddys from 5-7 every night. We didn't get back from our dinner until 7:30, so unfortunately we missed that (which was kind of a bummer that it wasn't extended because the bar was closed). At least they had stocked mini-bars! :) The noise levels were what is to be expected in a motel. We could hear the people above us faintly. Anyhow, this is a very fun place to stay and we will most definitely be back! I really wish I knew the name of the man that worked at the front desk (he had his dog Buddy with him when we left)- his customer service was extraordinary!!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Seth M, Manager at The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello Sandyslippas,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and sharing your experience here at The Goodland. I am thrilled to see that our staff was able to exceed your expectations and you were able to meet our Interim Director or Pet Relations, Bailey the Golden Retriever. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope you are able to enjoy our amazing restaurant, Outpost.

Best,

Been to The Goodland, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!