“Nice outside, disappointing inside” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
“Nice outside, disappointing inside”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

When we drove up to the Extended Stay Santa Barbara, we thought- nice... looks like updated colors on the outside, sort of like Courtyard Marriotts that we have visited, Check in was not overwhelming as the clerk didn't smile until his college friends came walking in. This was booked as one of those "sight unseen" deals on another site. Never do that! The inside of the room was OLD... like early 80's old and not really very clean. We stayed the night, but I will never stay there again. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here when visiting USCB, which is only 1/2 mile up the freeway. Friendly staff, rooms were clean and large, & the kitchenette is convenient if you want to save some $$ by not having to go to restaurants all the time. Beds are comfortable & liked the free WiFi; plenty of desk/table space if you need to work. Rates are high compared to other markets, but comparable for the Santa Barbara area. Can get a better deal if you book on weekdays; weekends can get noisy with inconsiderate guests. Missed not having a swimming pool, and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night from what the staff said was an overheated commercial dryer in the laundry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice with my daugther for college visits. The first time, downstairs, and the second, on the second level. Both times, we found the room clean, quiet and convenient, with a fully equiped kitchenette. The "breakfast on the go" is not impressive but it is free - coffee, packaged muffins, etc. I asked for a 6 AM wake up call at the reception and was told that it was not available. But all in all is a great value. I plan to return during college move-in weekend, and we will bring our dog, as it is a pet-friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy you have enjoyed your stays with us. Our staff takes pride in providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests and also your four legged family members! We are so close to UCSB we would love to have you stay again when visiting your daughter at the college.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have stayed at this location every time we come to Santa Barbara the rooms could use remodeling but the over accommodating staff especially Cindy the manager makes up for what the hotel lacks I have never seen someone so dedicated to there job and she went out of her way to make me and my family feel at home on our visit. We really love that the rooms have kitchenettes because its much more affordable for a family on a budget. We liked the grab and go breakfast and that there is popcorn and other toiletries at the front desk. Our room was very clean its not the ritz Carlton and we knew this before we booked the room so I don't know how other guest are can write such horrible reviews.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at our property. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel's location and our staff, especially Cindy. As well, I am happy that you liked your room and all of the amenities our hotel had to offer.

We hope you will stay with us again on your return to the beautiful Santa Barbara area.
Half Moon Bay, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was pet friendly and reviews said it was newly remodeled and clean. Our room was dumpy, the bed was small, the sheets were scratchy and the towels stiff. The kitchen and bathroom were not as clean as it should be with dirt stains on the bottom of the door, stained sink drains and dusty curtains. Little amenities were missing like there were only 2 pillows, only one bar of soap in the bathroom, no wine glasses and few kitchen cooking supplies. It certainly was not remodeled as the mismatched bed spread and curtains were old and ugly and so was the one art piece on the wall. It all looked like Goodwill rejects. The only thing good I can say about this place is the staff was friendly aand it's fairly close to UCSB. We were booked for 4 nights but started looking for a new place immediately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I received a copy of your review and wanted to personally respond. I am so sorry that your stay was disappointing. Please accept my sincere apologies. In response to your feedback I will be addressing these issues with my maintenance and housekeeping staff.

If you would like to discuss this further you can reach me at sbn@extendedstay.com. I hope you would give us another chance to provide you with a better stay next time you are in Santa Barbara.
Studio City, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can't say more about my stay at this hotel (especially over Memorial Day Weekend). From the overseeing manager (Cindy) in making sure that my 15 month old son had a crib/pack n play to sleep in to the more than friendly staff at the desk. The room was perfect for me and my family to stay in. The hotel was close enough to the zoo and to the wharf. Very quiet (although they were sold out for the weekend). The Grab n Go was perfect. Just went down the hall and grabbed some coffee and muffins and we were on our way. I can't thank them enough for a great stay. We will be back!

Room Tip: Bring shampoo and soap if you plan on staying more than a few days
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your awesome review of our property. We take great pride in providing our guests with an exceptional stay and memorable experience at our hotel. We are very pleased to know we accomplished that for you!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Santa Barbara.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I booked a king studio for a weekend getaway with my husband. We check in an the girl in the front desk does check us in politely. I thought it was strange she did not read back what time of room we got. I looked at the paper we signed and it definitely said king studio. We enter out room and the first thing I notice is the bed. It was a queen. I called the front lobby to confirm. And yes it was a queen. They tried to pass my king studio with a queen as if I would not know.
SHADY!!!!
They then proceed to tell me they had no more king beds and they were all booked.. (Really because I booked it 3 weeks ago!) and that they can't do anything.

Hotels.com gave me a coupon for future purchase because I did pay extra for my room (though it took several days and me hounding them for my coupon).

We spend the night and it was horrible. The walls were thin, the AC worked but made the room gross and humid, and to top it off the bed was soooo uncomfortable.

The next morning i tried to make coffee and the coffee grinds in the filter was clogged or something. When i opened it the coffee grinds exploded all over me. It truly ruined our weekend. We did not stay a second night and left the hotel.

I would never stay at : extended stay America ever again. I will be reporting this on Yelp, Tripdvisor, & Facebook. 1 negative experience = me telling everyone I know.

Thanks a lot of a memorable experience. Mags- so cal

• Stayed May 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was so disappointing. I am very sorry as this was definitely not a typical guest experience. Please know, at times we encounter overbooking due to a guest that extends their stay, which might affect how many, if any, rooms we have available. Still, I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at sbn@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you’re in town.

Been to Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real? Share your experiences!