“Time to unwind” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Goleta
Brisbane
“Time to unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

After 5 days in Disneyland this Aussie family needed some rnr & enter Bacara Resort. My Family of 6 were allocated 2 amazing rooms views over the pool & ocean views from the balcony. Thank you to the Front office manager for his room selection for us it was perfect. The Bistro meal on the first night was fantastic & the coffee shop at the hotel entry was also very good for a light breakfast. The best coffee we have found in the US so far & all staff have been very helpful. The pools are nice & warm & my children have enjoyed rabbit & squirrel spotting each morning/afternoon. We would definitely return & recommend to family who may come this way on holiday in the future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent family stay at Bacara. I was so happy to read you enjoyed your guest rooms, meals and service. We can’t wait to welcome your family back for another holiday in the future.

1,139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Bacara Resort & Spa was incredible!! The Staff was great because they catered to their guest. I can not wait to go back to enjoy more of the amenities. The Staff was very good to the guest. The resort provided a perfect place for a wedding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing about your stay. I loved reading that you found the resort incredible and the staff great. We hope to welcome you back for a longer stay in the future so that you can enjoy all that Bacara has to offer.

Most Sincerely,

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The location is a bit far from everything, but the amenities and the overall hotel itself are superior. The food was enjoyable and staff was helpful. My favorite part was the gym, where the manager (Norm) helped me with complementary advice on cutting edge fitness techniques. He even assessed my strengths and weaknesses. What a joy to have extraordinary customer service and this is a motivation to revisit. Although we live in town, we spent the night since we were going to drink at an event and wanted to just take a relaxing breather the next day. BTW, wife said the spa is amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing about your recent stay-cation at Bacara. I loved reading that you enjoyed our amenities, food and overall hotel. Most importantly, I am happy to read about the excellent service that you received from Norm in our fitness center. We hope to welcome you and your wife back for many more visits to come. Hope to see you soon.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Overall we had a nice time at the Bacara, but I will likely choose another property on our next visit. They were overbooked the first night of our four night stay and were very professional and accommodated us appropriately at another hotel. They really went out of their way to make us happy due to the overbooking situation. We were upgraded at checking (which was early) and given a larger room with a great view. They were being really great with everything, but the first room they placed us in was really unacceptable. It was very musty and smelly, everything was dirty. The minibar was broken and had mold on the inside. The bathroom had obviously had some sort of backup issue that was fixed and left the floors stained. I called the front desk and told them about my issues with the room. I suggested he come see if the room was acceptable for himself, but instead decided to try and fix it. They sent a refrigerator and housekeeping to clean the beach sand and grime of the floors which was great because my one-year old is still crawling. Our bags took a long time to get the room and I was too tired from moving hotels and dealing with issues to ask for a room move and decided to ask in the morning. (room 2-217)
When I got back from breakfast the next day, I mentioned my issues with the room to the tall man at the front desk (shaved head, very nice) and before I really said anything specific without hesitation very quickly he checked and said he had a room for me to move to right away. Wow, great! Very unexpected after yesterday. I was nervous the move wouldn't be worth the effort with all the baby stuff (crib & bags). What if the new room was just as bad? He had Thomas show me the new room and it was MUCH better. It was very clean and no smell!

Thomas quickly helped us with our bags and got us settled. He even called to get the crib over quickly since it was getting close to nap time for baby. The help was much appreciated since my husband was at a conference that day. So a rocky start, but the hotel staff that helped me the second day was FANTASTIC!
I had family visit and stay in the hotel and they were always given rooms very close to us.

== FOOD ==
So I had some very good experiences with food and some not good.
Bistro shrimp cocktail
Room service menu from entree selection

Other room service
Bistro fish tacos
Bistro dining in general, very slow service

I suspect the entrees from the menu came from the Miro kitchen because they where crazy better than anything I had at the Bistro or lunch items we had from room service. Even though it's a small selection stick to the entree section.

I didn't go but they had a very fun looking movie night. The reviews that complain about the tar really annoy me. They have signs posted and the tar is naturally occurring on the beach. It will come off with a little baby oil. (former local tip)

I really went back and forth between 3 & 4 stars, but they made it right and my family had a nice time.

Room Tip: Top floors have great views and high ceilings. Families would like being close to pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a detailed account of your recent stay. While I was disappointed to see that your stay got off to a rocky start, I was pleased to read that our front office manager and Thomas were able to right that wrong. I have contacted you privately so that I can personally follow up with your feedback. Thank you for your time and we hope that you will reconsider and return to Bacara in the future. I know we are very capable of meeting the public's highest standards.

Most Sincerely,

Colorado Springs, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This trip was remarkable and the staff and the grounds inabled me to "blow the socks off" my wife during part of our 8 day, 15 year Wedding Anniversary Tour through California beginning in Napa, then Big Sur, Hearst, and finally ending in SB (at Bacara). BTW - The SB Airport is awesome! The staff at Bacara was extremely polite and the grounds - wonderful. I highly recommend taking advantage of the Spa and all it has to offer. My wife took advantage of the "Buff on the Bluff" session and loved it! Great food, great place, and great service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay for your 15th wedding anniversary. Congratulations! I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our excellent cuisine, grounds and service. We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at Bacara on a business trip and found the unexpected. The resort is visually beautiful in September with a multitude of blooming flowers that waft their scent on gentle breezes. A burbling fountain provides the background to time on the balcony of my room. All of this has made what I expected to be an arduous coast to coast trip relaxing. The biggest surprise was Norm, the trainer in the health club, who showed me new exercises and stretches that left me feeling better than usual after a workout and that I expect will be a gift that keeps on giving by the time ski season comes around.

Room Tip: A courtyard balcony with a fountain bellow provides a wonderful setting for thought and conversation...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive review about your recent business trip to Bacara. I was delighted to read that you found our resort beautiful, but more importantly your kind comments about Norm. We hope that after ski season, you return again for another relaxing trip.

Ladue, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our room was fabulous; beautiful and calming and immaculate. The service was top drawer with an immediate response to our requests, despite the fact that there were large weddings occurring during our stay. Impressive! The choice of types of food was varied and the restaurants were excellent. We spent a Sunday evening sharing a bottle of wine at an uncrowded venue overlooking the Pacific. The Mediterranean climate and vistas reminded us of Italy. We left relaxed, rejuvenated and in great spirits.....the purpose of our getaway from St. Louis. Now if we could only find a way to take the LAX experience out of our next visit!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I am so happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful atmosphere, excellent service and dining experiences. You can eliminate LAX, fly through Santa Barbara Airport. There are many easy connections and only minutes from Bacara. We hope to welcome you back for another rejuvenating trip again soon.

Kathleen Cochran

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!