“Relax at Bacara” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Jackson, MS
“Relax at Bacara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went to Bacara for the first time. Will definitely go back. No cars inside the resort...golf carts....so it is quiet and peaceful. Beautiful pools and view of ocean. Excellent and attentive staff. Highly recommend it if you want to relax and enjoy the place. Nice restaurants, too. Everyone was very nice and helpful. It is also family friendly and couples friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I loved reading that you were able to truly relax and enjoy our unparalleled location, service and cuisine. We hope to welcome you back for another relaxing vacation soon.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

So let me start by saying this hotel is absolutely beautiful! From the moment you drive up, the the lobby, the grounds and the gorgeous rooms, you are confident you have arrived at a true 5 star property. We were traveling with our three young boys so we got a suite and were thrilled upon arrival. The room was clean, spacious and designed elegantly. LIke all the rooms there, we had a balcony and ours luckily had an ocean view.
For anyone to claim they had bad service is astonishing to me. The service was truly the best I have had in years and I am comparing the The Ritz's and St Regis's of the world. You could not receive better pool service. Anytime you wanted anything there was a waiter at your disposal. My mom dropped her kindle by her lounge chair and before she could pick it up there was a waiter reaching for it t hand to her. Alex was an exceptional example of the type of service you would expect at this resort. As soon as the thought entered my mind that I would like some ice water he was literally standing over me with a cup - no joke!
The only cons I could say is that while they advertise this as a beach resort - there aren't any chairs set up on the beach and the beach has tar on it so its not necessarily a beach you want to spend your day on. It did not affect our trip as the pools are beautiful and heated to the perfect temperature. The only other con could be that it is at least a 10-15 minute drive to town. This did not bother us that much as we didn't mind the drive but it is something other people may want to know.
All in all we would definitely come back here. We loved our experience and recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: We had Room 8103 - great suit with partial ocean views. Close to the pool and the Bistro.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent family getaway. I am so happy to read that you loved your stay and will return in the future. I wanted to take the time to clarify any confusion about the beach. We sit right atop Haskell’s Beach, which is a public beach open to both our resort guests as well as the community to enjoy. We offer beach chairs and umbrellas through our beach house upon request for our guests to enjoy. We hope that your family will visit us again soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm a veteran luxury hotelier so am a little picky. Overall, I'd say the key things Bacara has to offer are: 1) 75 acres on the Coastline of sunny California. PRIME secluded location in Goleta just north of Santa Barbara. Only 10 minutes to State Street. 2). Beautiful grounds with lush landscaping. Well maintained. Nice beach, Trails for walking. Several guests brought their dogs and were having a jolly time. 3). Friendly staff. Not as well trained as Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton but they are more natural and won't "My Pleasure" u to death. 4). Good food. Breakfast at the Bistro is a treat. (avg $30) The FIne Dining -Miro's- is delicious. The Spa Cafe has healthy choices. Room service is mediocre and expensive. They offer 24 hour but go out if you can. 5) Very nice salt-water Pools cascading down the hillside with cabana's and nice view. Terrific pool boys. SLOW food & drink service but tasty. Great Fish Taco's there, btw. Also have an adult pool near the Spa. 6) 40,000 sq foot Spa. Wide assortment of treatments. Very low key staff who are nice but not at all pushy. Avg 1 hour treatment cost $222 including the gratuity. 6). A plus for the elderly is that a Golf Cart will come and take you where you want to go on the property. Resort is spread out into a Mediterranean Style village and requires lots of walking. Unless you call them up for a ride and are willing to wait 5-10 minutes. To me those were the BEST things. We stayed in a Partial OV 1 bedroom Suite. Nice. Comfortable. Spacious. Good bed with Frette linens. We had a fireplace in the room that had obviously been used recently because the room STUNK from the smell of smoke. Guess they havent seen the Febreeze commercial. View was great from the patio but not so hot in the room. So, call and talk to reservations about the location of the room you are booking. Amenities were what you would expect in a good resort - 2 terry bathrobes, ample towels, nice toiletries, stocked honor bar, water, ice bucket ( that was never filled), Kuerig Coffee Maker. Do not Disturb sign but no MAKE UP MY ROOM sign. And there is a reason for that.....Housekeeping is not the greatest. It's not easy on such a spread out resort, I understand. But that isn't my problem when I am spending $500+ a night. We didnt get turndown 2 out of 3 nights we were there. Not good since I was sleeping on the Sofabed that wasn't rolled out. And once it was set up ...OUCH! OK for a kid but grossly uncomfortable for an adult. And...don't ask the Maids to come back in a hour....they never will. If you are in the room my advise is let them in. Parking is $30 a night - YIKES! Resort fee is $25 a day. They automatically add on 18% to Spa treatments and food service. So, keep this in mind when you set your budget. This is a great resort for families. There were LOTS of kids at the pool. Of all ages. I prefer quiet so I went to the Spa pool. No breeze there but serene and quiet. Not a 5-star...but a solid 4 star resort. You can get better service at the intimate El Encanto on the Hill or the Four Seasons or San Ysidro Ranch. But the location of Bacara can't be beat. And it's a friendly easy going place. I'll go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing such a detailed account of your recent stay at Bacara. While I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location, grounds, room amenities and service, I am truly disappointed that we did not meet and exceed your expectations in all areas of your stay. I am happy to read that the good outweighed the bad and that you will be back. We can’t wait to welcome you!

General Manger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We came to the Santa Barbara area for our 30th wedding anniversary and chose Bacara because it was the only ocean front resort we could find that didn't have a street to cross to the beach. What a treat - every thing in the room exuded relaxation and romance. The fireplace was perfect on chilly nights, the screen side door to the balcony opened to the sounds of the ocean lulling us to sleep every night. Marble floors, excellent bedding, Keurig Coffee maker, the Jacuzzi tub/bathroom opened up to view the balcony - everything was wonderful. The service was excellent - we received a complimentary bottle of champagne and dessert for our anniversary with a personal note from the manager - such a nice touch. Every person on the property - the fitness center, the desk clerks & concierge, the shuttle drivers and grounds keepers were all so friendly and went over and above to make us feel welcome. We have been to the Four Seasons in Hawaii and this property is just as remarkable in the service if not better! The only complaint we had was our first day we somehow missed housekeeping and they never came back to replenish our coffee - when we called the next morning to request more coffee pods, not only did they bring us scads of them, they also sent us a steaming hot fresh pot of coffee! Just can't say enough about this place - Hope we can come back again very soon!

Room Tip: Get an ocean front or ocean view room! I would avoid a ground garden level room unless you can ensu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We traveled to the West Coast the last 3 summers and stayed at 9-10 hotels throughout our travels. La Bacara offers a unique experience on several accounts. First, the property is composed of multiple villas that are Spanish Colonial in style and are set on top of a cliff overlooking the Pacific- the landscaping is well manicured with lush gardens and tropical palm trees; quaint walkways with benches along the way. The rooms are decorated in old world Spanish style- which was quite cozy. We had a suite with 2 balconies and 2 terraces. The fireplace in the suite was very charming for the cool nights.
I thought an area of improvement could have been the mattresses- maybe too soft for my liking. The rooms were clean and we were quite comfortable.
Second- the service was above average and we found the staff to be quite accomodating and willing to process special requests. A special thank you to Cody who assisted us in
obtaining a special wine!!
Thanks to Otis at the Tennis Center for assisting with the towels and water and the court. Also, for his friendliness and just being nice! The courts are clay at La Bacara- an unusual find on the west coast and that combined with perfect weather made for a pleasant tennis experience. The courts are a bit far from the villas- but jitney carts are available upon request if you choose not to walk- they can take you door to door to your villa.
Third- The food was good. I'm from Manhattan so my standards are a bit high but we enjoyed breakfast at Spa Cafe and we enjoyed dinner at Miro.
The Spa was nice- about average for most hotels. Nothing exceptional stands out. I enjoyed my massage.
The Spa pool was a very relaxing experience- you can use it everyday without going to the Spa- that is special!! Also- it is quiet without children or excessive noise permitted. They do serve food and drinks- great smoothies!!
As far as the Beach House and Beach- that was a bit disappointing- the beach house is quite far from the villas and the beach is not that clean- so I would not recommend that.
All in all, it was a very positive experience at this boutique property and I can highly recommend it!!
Special Tip: Obtain villa near Spa- that is where we spent most time- for breakfast, pool, boutique, spa services....
Beware- parking fee- 30/night
Tennis fee-25/hour court time
Internet- we needed to buy the premium package for 14.95/night as free Wifi kept freezing up

• Stayed August 2013
Hinsdale, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were impressed with this resort from the minute we pulled into the courtyard. We were quickly greeted by both valet and bellman and escorted into the large, mediterranean style lobby. The staff was friendly and efficient allowing us to get into our room and out exploring the beautiful property. Our room in a one story bungalow was so charming. The room was furnished with a ecclectic mix of furnishing that managed to feel both upscale and romantic at the same time. The large bathroom was closed off from the bedroom area by shutters and had a great tub and very large shower area. Upscale toiletries and Frette linens were a nice luxurious touch. A tray of candles was placed next to the bed with matches. Sweet. The property itself is beautifully manicured and has a managed rustic feel that suits the dramatic cliffside coastal location on the beach. There is a lovely path along the back of the property and the water that shouldn't be missed. We ate in the fine dining restaurant on the property called Miro. The staff was very professional and welcoming. They accommodated us at the last minute with a great table outside on the terrace. The experience from start to finish was amazing. The sommelier after guiding us through the wine list even took us on a tour of their cellar. There was a cozy bar with a fireplace at the reception area that we would have loved to had a drink in if we hadn't had so much fun already! Every person we encountered on the property greeted us and asked after our needs. The pool area and spa although we didn't use them were gorgeous. We hated to leave and hope to return again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from arrival, guest room amenities, friendly staff, to your dining experience at Miró. I enjoyed reading your review and we can’t wait for you to return.

Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband, two teen kids and I stayed at Bacara Resort again. I am just sorry it’s been a year since our last stay, but it was like coming home again. Everyone was so friendly. We stayed for 5 days last week and had a great time everyday. This year we booked a suite with ocean view, loved it! My husband and I had couples massages, wow a real treat. Masseuses Lisa Marie and Marti were great. The 3 pools are beautiful (we mostly hung out at the No young kids pool) and the ocean is just a few yards away. We will be back sooner, not later.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I was so happy to read that you feel like you are coming home when you stay at Bacara. That is so special and we love reading reviews such as yours. We hope that you will not wait for another year to pass before you return again. Come home soon!

Kathleen Cochran

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!