“Spanish Colonial Villas with Lush Landscaping” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   8301 Hollister Ave, Goleta, CA 93117   |
Special Offer
Enjoy a night on us!
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Goleta
“Spanish Colonial Villas with Lush Landscaping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We traveled to the West Coast the last 3 summers and stayed at 9-10 hotels throughout our travels. La Bacara offers a unique experience on several accounts. First, the property is composed of multiple villas that are Spanish Colonial in style and are set on top of a cliff overlooking the Pacific- the landscaping is well manicured with lush gardens and tropical palm trees; quaint walkways with benches along the way. The rooms are decorated in old world Spanish style- which was quite cozy. We had a suite with 2 balconies and 2 terraces. The fireplace in the suite was very charming for the cool nights.
I thought an area of improvement could have been the mattresses- maybe too soft for my liking. The rooms were clean and we were quite comfortable.
Second- the service was above average and we found the staff to be quite accomodating and willing to process special requests. A special thank you to Cody who assisted us in
obtaining a special wine!!
Thanks to Otis at the Tennis Center for assisting with the towels and water and the court. Also, for his friendliness and just being nice! The courts are clay at La Bacara- an unusual find on the west coast and that combined with perfect weather made for a pleasant tennis experience. The courts are a bit far from the villas- but jitney carts are available upon request if you choose not to walk- they can take you door to door to your villa.
Third- The food was good. I'm from Manhattan so my standards are a bit high but we enjoyed breakfast at Spa Cafe and we enjoyed dinner at Miro.
The Spa was nice- about average for most hotels. Nothing exceptional stands out. I enjoyed my massage.
The Spa pool was a very relaxing experience- you can use it everyday without going to the Spa- that is special!! Also- it is quiet without children or excessive noise permitted. They do serve food and drinks- great smoothies!!
As far as the Beach House and Beach- that was a bit disappointing- the beach house is quite far from the villas and the beach is not that clean- so I would not recommend that.
All in all, it was a very positive experience at this boutique property and I can highly recommend it!!
Special Tip: Obtain villa near Spa- that is where we spent most time- for breakfast, pool, boutique, spa services....
Beware- parking fee- 30/night
Tennis fee-25/hour court time
Internet- we needed to buy the premium package for 14.95/night as free Wifi kept freezing up

1,261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Hinsdale, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were impressed with this resort from the minute we pulled into the courtyard. We were quickly greeted by both valet and bellman and escorted into the large, mediterranean style lobby. The staff was friendly and efficient allowing us to get into our room and out exploring the beautiful property. Our room in a one story bungalow was so charming. The room was furnished with a ecclectic mix of furnishing that managed to feel both upscale and romantic at the same time. The large bathroom was closed off from the bedroom area by shutters and had a great tub and very large shower area. Upscale toiletries and Frette linens were a nice luxurious touch. A tray of candles was placed next to the bed with matches. Sweet. The property itself is beautifully manicured and has a managed rustic feel that suits the dramatic cliffside coastal location on the beach. There is a lovely path along the back of the property and the water that shouldn't be missed. We ate in the fine dining restaurant on the property called Miro. The staff was very professional and welcoming. They accommodated us at the last minute with a great table outside on the terrace. The experience from start to finish was amazing. The sommelier after guiding us through the wine list even took us on a tour of their cellar. There was a cozy bar with a fireplace at the reception area that we would have loved to had a drink in if we hadn't had so much fun already! Every person we encountered on the property greeted us and asked after our needs. The pool area and spa although we didn't use them were gorgeous. We hated to leave and hope to return again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from arrival, guest room amenities, friendly staff, to your dining experience at Miró. I enjoyed reading your review and we can’t wait for you to return.

Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband, two teen kids and I stayed at Bacara Resort again. I am just sorry it’s been a year since our last stay, but it was like coming home again. Everyone was so friendly. We stayed for 5 days last week and had a great time everyday. This year we booked a suite with ocean view, loved it! My husband and I had couples massages, wow a real treat. Masseuses Lisa Marie and Marti were great. The 3 pools are beautiful (we mostly hung out at the No young kids pool) and the ocean is just a few yards away. We will be back sooner, not later.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I was so happy to read that you feel like you are coming home when you stay at Bacara. That is so special and we love reading reviews such as yours. We hope that you will not wait for another year to pass before you return again. Come home soon!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Although priced on the higher end of the scale, this resort really takes the cake when it comes to amenities, service, and quality. The rooms are nice but the mattresses, pillows, and bedding are the standouts here. When I'm away from home, I want to know that where I rest my head is pristine and I need to be able to get a good night's rest; Bacara delivers on that like few other places in the area can so that, on it's own, is worth the premium.

There are 2 gorgeous pools on the premises and 1 adults only pool that's nice but not gorgeous. There's a spa facility that rivals some of the best in LA and, again, pretty much sets the tone for getting much deserved rest and rejuvenation.

I'm not a fan of the 'fine dining' restaurant on premises - Miro. The dinner was fine and service, as always, was spot on, but there are nicer meals to be had in Santa Barbara for less. The breakfast, however, is just fantastic. Again, it carries a premium price but the view and setting for a solid breakfast and coffee overlooking the Pacific is a much nicer experience (to me) than the experience at Miro.

It is also quite family-friendly so I'd recommend for couples just as well as families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. I was thrilled to read you enjoyed our luxurious bedding, amenities and service. While I was pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast as well as the service at Miró, I am sorry to read that you were not thoroughly pleased with your dinner. I am confident that we will meet and exceed your expectations on your next visit and hope to welcome you back soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I went to lunch at the bistro 8/17/13 and it was busy. Why wouldn't it be? This resort is located right on the beach. The staff was friendly and the food was great. Service is very friendly. Only drawback is people let there kids run around, actually heard a women complain her server didn't controll her kids! I couldn't believe my ears I was beside myself and the manager kept his cool. Food is fresh and management is very professional and we loved every second. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for writing about your recent lunch at The Bistro. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed our friendly staff and wonderful cuisine. Sorry about the crazy kids that day, normally the majority of our guests and children do not behave in the manner that you described. We can’t wait for you to return and hope to welcome you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our wedding anniversary here and it was the best choice. It's post card gorgeous, 5+ star service. We didn't want to leave the resort. Relaxing atmosphere, incredibly friendly stuff, huge rooms with balconies. We almost paid $400 for some 3 star motel downtown Santa Barbara. For a little more, we rented a car and stayed in paradise. It was one of the most memorable spots I have visited

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. Happy Anniversary! I was happy to read that you didn’t want to leave the resort and we hope to welcome you back for many more memorable stays in the future.

Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were absolutely spoiled from start to finish. Keith at the front desk greeted us with a smile that would brighten any day! Keith's expertise and sense of overall knowledge of the resort & it's happenings started us off on the right foot. Our room was not ready upon check in because we came earlier than expected. With confidence, Keith ensured us that we would be available in no time allowing us to start soaking up this experience. After a few brief minutes, we were warmly greeted by Nathan from bell to show us to our room. Nathan swiftly scooped our bags up and escorted us to our cart. Some of our guests had wondered off to the Spa, in which he graciously made a detour to 'gather the troops'. His wonderful sense of humor was so perfectly balanced with his professionalism that we were ready to do another lap around the village! My much needed Spa fix was true delight. Coral from the spa walked me through the whole facility, explaining all of the amenities that were available for me. It was so nice knowing that I was in such good hands! Half way through my visit, Coral took the time to follow up on my experience, asking if there was anything that I needed. These details are what make Bacara stand out from other resorts! Everything was stunning. Room was unbelievable. Service was implacable.

Room Tip: If you are a family with young ones, be sure to splurged a little for a suite. If you are couple, d...