“Laid back, old school glamour” 4 of 5 stars

Bacara Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   8301 Hollister Ave, Goleta, CA 93117   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
SLO Town
“Laid back, old school glamour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The resort is laid out in villas. This lends an air of privacy to your stay, but do not expect to just pop on over to the front desk or the lobby. You'll need to walk or call the shuttle. Next time we will bring snacks so that we can enjoy the balcony in the morning with our coffee. (Each room has a Keurig!) that said, the feeling in the lobby and the bar area is amazing. It's set up with great little gathering areas, some with fireplaces! We sat in the bar area and enjoyed the scene. There were lots of people milling about and enjoying themselves, all making it a very cool vibe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Bacara. I loved how you described the resort’s laid out setting and that you enjoyed our lobby bar area and vibe. We hope you return to enjoy all that resort has to offer again in the near future.

Kathleen Cochran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went for a weekend and everything was wonderful. Our room was outstanding! It was a one bedroom suite overlooking the ocean. The bed was really comfy. The bathroom was really big and it included a BIG tub. The other room was a sitting room with a TV, bar area and another bathroom. We also had a patio that wrapped around both rooms.

The grounds were beautiful and perfect for morning walks on the beach. The restaurant was good. Everyone on the property were super nice and very helpful.

Room Tip: Oceanview is awesome but the courtyard is also pretty. We stayed in Bldg. 9.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It made me happy to read how much you enjoyed all the amenities that were offered in the ocean view suite that you booked. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the service you received from our team members and that your dining experience was good. We hope to welcome you back so that you can take more morning walks throughout our resort and along the beach again soon.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our first visit to Bacara was back in 2001 shortly after it opened and it was incredible. We visited later for another event and again found the hotel and staff to be some of the best we have experienced. At one point thought the resort started to look neglected. Fortunately they have recently remodeled and refreshed the rooms and again it remains on of the finest resort on the CA coast. Downtown Santa Barbara is only 15 mins away, the wine country, and the resort itself has an excellent Spa, pools, beach and surroundings. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of Bacara. We are so happy that you have continued to return over the years and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

For a romantic weekend away my girlfriend and I decided to opt for bacara after some friends recommended it, we booked a suite overlooking the ocean to maximise our romantic wants. The room itself was very clean and whilst small was well arranged and comfortable, the bed was good the bathroom to a high standard.
The issues i have were with the prices, breakfast in bed, nothing special, a continental and a full english ran us in at 200 dollars, a 80 minute massage ran in at around 350 dollars and the massages in particular, i had two during my stay were of a poor quality.
there was a wedding each day we were there i think or at least it certainly felt like it with the cheesy disco music blaring around the resort, we tried each of their restaurants, one was massively overpriced with terrible service, the other however looked over the ocean at the top of the building and was a very enjoyable dinner.
The beaches are open and public, the location is lovely and the hotel itself is very nice but the prices far outweighed the experience, paying 3500 dollars or more for a three night stay in a basic suite is unacceptable at a hotel that isn't providing the right kind of services. for the same price you could stay at the post ranch inn and see how to do it right.
i'd stay here again if the prices weren't so obscene or the service came up to match the price but until either one happens i'd give it a miss!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I was so pleased to read that you found our location lovely and the hotel to be very nice. I am sorry to read that you felt that some of our services and offerings were not priced to your liking. I am happy to report that the vast majority of our guests truly love spending time here. In fact, many of them return again and again. We hope that you will give us another try and reconsider Bacara for another romantic getaway in the future.

Los Altos Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Bacara is a great place for a business meeting, however it is far removed from other social opportunities. The property is beautiful and my room was lovely. It was described as a Villa and had none of the sound issues mentioned by other reviewers. The room was spacious and very well equipped.
Meals at Miro and the spa cafe were very enjoyable. With a group of about 15, the meal service at Miro was very smooth and the food was delicious.
I understood the tar on the beach to be occasional. Other reviewers mentioned going barefoot on the beach. Feet are easier to clean than shoes, especially sport shoes with gridded soles. I wish I had known. My husband spent 1 1/2 hours with a putty knife and paint thinner cleaning our shoes once we arrived home. It kind of took the fun out of the memories of our weekend.
The Bacara spa is beautiful with a lovely private spa pool. Facilities are very nice and include large lounge areas with a fireplace. My concern is that the staff at the desk appeared to be uninformed about the services offered, both for skin and nails. I made my facial appointment in person because I wanted to express that I have sensitive skin and that that should be taken into account. Apparently no note was made. The staff stressed that the therapists were professional and would evaluate my skin. I also told the therapist that my skin was very sensitive. Now, on day 4, my face is raw in some places and very dry. The products used on me were for normal to oily skin. I am, and always have been, extremely dry. My husband says I aged 5 years over the weekend! Of course, this is repairable, but so disappointing. I am no longer inclined to have beauty services away from home. Given the isolation of the resort, the spa should be top-notch.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kathleen C, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a detailed account of your recent stay at Bacara. I was so happy to read that found the resort beautiful and enjoyed your room and dining at Miró and Spa Café. While I was pleased to read you found our Spa facilities to be beautiful, I was disappointed that you did not have the same sentiment for your treatment. We hope that you will give us another chance and return to Bacara in the future.

Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Loved this place! Got the upgrade to a beautiful room in building 2. Nicely appointed room and baths. Loved the patio overlooking the ocean. Thomas drove us and our luggage to our room, but gave us a nice little tour of the place. Went to the bar before heading out to our massages and had a lovely bartender named David, who allowed us to sample a few wines before making our choice and we ended up going with the one he selected anyway! Our meal was delightful! The spa was very nice and I enjoyed the steam, sauna and jacuzzi! My masseuse did a great job and it was time to enjoy our lovely room. Slept with the door open all night and it was quiet as a mouse. Breakfast was delicious with excellent service. It was too bad that it was foggy/misty out because the view would have been spectacular. I would highly recommend this place again! Special kudos to staff members Thomas and David who went out of their way to make us feel special. Thank you Bacara!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I will be sure to share your wonderful feedback about Thomas and David with their managers as well as them. We can’t wait to welcome you back to Bacara soon!

San Juan Capistrano, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This resort is right on a beautiful stretch of wild California coast with nothing else around it. The hotel itself is low-rise and divided into a number of buildings that are scattered around the bluff overlooking the Pacific. Our room was well-designed, well-appointed, light and spacious (ask for a corner room on an upper floor). It had a private covered porch with a nice view. While there are hundreds of guests there, you never see but a few except at the pool, because they are spread out over a large area. Fresh apples in the lobby, free WiFi in the rooms, excellent service all around make it a pleasure to be there.

The food, however, is surprisingly sub-par. We ate at the Miró, their high-end restaurant, and with the exception of a seafood appetizer, it was not very good at all. The box lunches were bad, the banquet food was poor, although the breakfasts were good (I just had oatmeal with fruit). And, they're not giving it away.

Room Tip: Get a corner room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Bacara. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed our breathtaking location, luxurious guestrooms and excellent service. I was so disappointed to your comments about or food. Guest dining is an area at which Bacara has always excelled. Both our menus and our service have won us rave reviews locally and even nationally. I truly believe your experience was the rare exception, and I hope you will give us another try.

Kathleen Cochran

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!