“Wonderful getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Los Angeles, CA
“Wonderful getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My husband took me to the Bacara resort as a surprise birthday gift and I've been counting down the days to return which is why I'm reviewing this property 7 months later!
It's somewhat isolated on a beach with an amazing pool and private cabanas. The food was also excellent so there's really no reason to leave the property at all. We also had a spa treatment which was also very memorable since the spa is located in it's own section of the hotel with it's own adult pool area. They also offer an array of activities, my husband and I chose to take some of the shorter hiking trails. There's also a ranch located nearby where one can go horseback riding. It's the perfect romantic retreat!

Room Tip: When we were there they were undergoing a renovation. It may be done by now, but just in case reques...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had known about Bacara since it opened but for some reason never had it on our list. On the strong recommendation of a friend, we decided to finally try it. We never imagined it was on the beach. We thought it was off on a hill somewhere. We arrived mid afternoon and were escorted to our room by Michael, the bellman. It was a perfect beginning to a wonderful weekend. The room was spacious and well appointed. High quality wall to wall. Great bathroom. This was better than Four Seasons Biltmore, St. Regis Monarch and the Ritz Laguna. All of our favorites took a back seat seat to our newest hot spot. My wife enjoyed a massage in the spa while I used the fitness room. We both had great things to say when we met back at the room. Dinner in Miro was another surprise. Not a hotel dining experience, this was another perfect part of our visit. The next morning, we walked on the secluded beach, swam in the pool and then headed out for an afternoon at the local vineyards. Room service for dinner!!!

We are already planning our next trip back. Thank you Bacara!

Room Tip: We liked it in building 2, close to the lobby and dining.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Goleta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I planned a surprise dinner at Miro, A room overnight, and then breakfast at Bistro. The staff could not have been more accomidating on all levels. From check-in to Dinner, the incredible room, and Breakfast in the morning. everything was world class. When I told them it was my wife's birthday and it was going to be a suprise they played along. Even surprising us both with a beautiful cake after dinner with Amy's name on it.
We live in Goleta. But staying at Bacara seemed worlds away. I highly recommend Bacara to locals looking for something very special and nice. And to those living far away. Bacara IS a World Class Destination.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
bakersfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous, the landscaping and ocean views spectacular, and the bellman even went above and beyond, but all that means very little to me if they do not meet the basics of a weekend get-away. For instance, the walls of the hotel rooms are so paper thin that you can literally hear every word of conversations taking place next door, and these people were speaking in very normal, even hushed tones. I had just come back to the room after running a challenging half marathon and was exhausted, dirty, and hoping for some quality nap time after a long soak in a hot tub. NO SUCH LUCK! I'm sure the people next door could hear every time I dipped my wash cloth into the hot sudsy water over my "what I felt like" exposed body. I'm sure they saw me with "their ears." I decided right then and there that I would leave a day early. I could not sleep the night before due to the same problems, and I wasn't about to endure another night/day of restless sleep because the owners are so cheap they can't soundproof the walls. At 250 dollars per night, nothing should be coming through those walls. Annother major complaint is that they can't even provide a coffee pot. All other hotels do so, why can't Bacara? You have to order through in-room dining, which is 20 dollars for a fresh pot of hot coffee or go down to the restaurant. I doubted the restaurant was even open, as I had to be up at 4:40 and out the door at 5:20 to catch a bus for my race, so I needed a burst of energy to get me going. A lousy hamburger dressed with green tomatoes and a stack of iceberg lettuce along with crappy stringy french fries the night before cost a whopping 30 dollars! In the end, I would never stay at this "so-called" paradise again. I've stayed in many hotels over the years, and other places like the Marriott and Sheraton get it. Their walls are thick, providing privacy to their guests and coffee pots with all the fixings. They don't rob people blind and don't make promises they can't keep. Bacara is all talk when they promise relaxation. I guess I put value in other things like rest, a morning cup of hot coffee, and people who are true to their word.

Room Tip: My advice, stay at the Marriott!
Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is a lovely resort in a beautiful setting. The rooms are very nicely appointed, and the grounds are beautiful. We had dinner at the Bistro, which was excellent and not outrageously expensive. Unfortunately, we had three issues: (i) Room service breakfast was very expensive - Two yogurt/granola "parfaits" and two glasses of fruit juice came to more than $60! (ii) As other reviewers have noted, there is a lot of renovation construction going on - I understand the need for keeping the rooms fresh and updated, but I think more can be done to locate guests away from the worst of the noise, especially when the resort is not full. (iii) We had an issue when the housekeeper knocked on the door at 9 am, holding our "do not disturb" sign in her hand! We don't know why she ignored the sign - We told her we would be out of the room in an hour, but when we came back at 4 pm, the room had not been serviced. Hard to understand, especially in what is obviously an upscale resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

We spent a weekend at Bacara with 5 other couples and had an incredible time. Most notable and noticeable was the outstanding customer service we received at every level. Our dinning experiences were also outstanding; so much so that we had all intended to go off site for our Saturday night dinner, but everyone in our group was left saying "why would we want to leave this incredible place," so we ate in the Bistro our second night. The property is simply stunning and well kept and the rooms were terrific. Only setback is that they are completing renovations on a few of the towers but that was only a small visual interruption to the beauty of the site.

Stayed April 2012
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Bacara in 2005 and it was top notch across the board. This stay, however, missed the mark.

THE GOOD:
1. The property is still beautiful and the rooms are still very nice. Fireplace makes them more cozy than typical hotel rooms.
2. We ate dinner at the bar, 3 breakfasts and an afternoon snack. Everything tasted REALLY good.
3. Room service. When you ordered, they were prompt in delivery and didn't make any mistakes.
4. Spa. My massage was one of the best I've ever had (and I've had a lot!) although credit should be given to the masseuse. Request Jacob. The spa was nice but didn't blow me away.
5. The Gym. Probably the best hotel gym (equipment wise) I've ever used.
6. Valet service. Car always ready, guys always friendly and willing to help.

THE BAD
Mainly service. A lot of missteps:

1. Bar service/dinner Friday night was more or less rude. We were ignored and when we tried to get their attention they seemed irritated. Very curt. When they brought our food they basically dropped it and ran. No "is that everything?" They forgot part of our meal and it took FOREVER for us to get their attention again. When we asked they clearly had forgotten and by the time it arrived the rest of the meal was cold. They were busy and maybe short staffed so again this is a misstep but not the way I like to be treated when I'm spending $$$ at their property.
2. Housekeeping. Both Saturday and Sunday we spent the entire day out of our rooms (10-4/5) to return at 4 and 5pm, respectively and find our room had not been cleaned. We called and they came right away but now it's time for us to get ready for our evening events and we have to vacate so they can clean.
3. Small things that add up: -Lack of towel service or bar service at the pool. They were there, just not available. We had to set up our own chairs, get up and order our own drink at the bar. We are not above it but this is a Five Star Hotel??? -Only one water bottle when there were clearly two of us. -They knew it was our anniversary but no acknowledgement. -No wine opener in the room (in wine country?). Had to call and request.
4. The beach. Notes in our room explaining the "natural occurrance" of tar on the beach and how it can stain your clothes/feet is a little troublesome. The view of oil platforms is a little bit of a downer. Small/short beach. Could not go for long walks or runs.
5. And like previous reviews have said, the "enhancements." Over the weekend the construction sites were covered with a green screen and quiet but on Monday the workers were there and it was LOUD and messy. If you decide to book make SURE you are nowhere near one of these buildings, especially during the week. I saw several occupied rooms that were right up against it.

In all a nice stay but don't think we will be back. They seem to be spending a lot of money on the enhancements but we stayed in an older room (not that old) and they are still nice. I think they would be better served putting that money towards management and service.

Room Tip: Request to be away from construction.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
Hyatt Santa Barbara
Hyatt Santa Barbara
#40 of 52 in Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 stars 652 reviews

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!