“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Glendale
Alexandria, VA
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I don't usually stay in motels but went ahead and booked a three night stay based on the TripAdvisor reviews. Keep in mind this is a motel. Even though I requested a 2nd floor room, I was given a ground floor (1st floor) room. As expected, I heard my upstair neighbor walking around. Actually it was more like creaking floor walking around noise. You know, the noise old houses make when walking around on the upper floors. The room contained a comfy king size bed with two night stands, microwave, refrigerator, TV, dresser and small table with two chairs. The room contained a counter with a sink, mirror and hair dryer. The bathroom contained a pedestal sink and shower/tub combination. Toiletries were very basic: soap, shampoo, lotion. They offer coffee in the morning and newpapers in the office. There is a restaurant next to the motel, but I didn't try it out. Not far from the motel (Alameda/San Fernando) are two small shopping centers: grocery stores (Ralph's, Trader Joe's), two pharmacies, Starbucks, etc. Burbank Villiage is close with lots of shopping and restaurants.

Customer Service: Upon booking my reservation via the web, I received a very detailed and informative email confirmation. The next day I received a "Welcome" email with contact information for the General Manager. After checking in, I received a call from the manager making sure I was satisfied with the room and to offer any assistance. On day two when I returned to my room I found it smelling like cigarette smoke. I think it must have been sucked into the room via the window A/C unit. I requested some air freshner which was given to me immediately. The next day, as I returned to my room, the manager met me with the air freshner. I didn't need it but I was impressed with the customer service. A few days after checking out, I received a "Thank You" email from the General Manager. Based on my experience, the management and staff are making every effort at making this a clean, comfortable place to stay with an emphasis on customer service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Central California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

From the surrounding area and the price -- one of the best in the area -- I have to admit I didn't expect much. Yet I was surprised by the comfort, cleanliness, and courtesy that awaited me in my brief stay. Granted, there are few amenities in the area, but Griffith Park is just a few blocks away and the more commercial areas of Glendale just a bit further, still this branch of the Glen Capri (3 I think), is well worth the money you save from the way more expensive chains, unless you have to have a pool and such. It's a steal for a cozy, quiet, and very comfortable night's sleep in Glendale. It will always be my first stop there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had to see it with my own eyes after reading the many wonderful reviews -- it's true! This is a wonderful little place to stay! The location was ideal for our trip to Universal Studios the following day. The room was very clean, quite, and comfortable. I was honestly in shock that a room so inexpensive could actually be nice! It is a no frills place -- if you expect plush bath towels and luxury hand soap you are forgetting the cost to stay here. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the bathrooms were sparkling clean. There was even a mini fridge and microwave in the room, which were very convenient. If I'm in that area again, the Glen Capri on San Fernando will be my first choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a non-smoking room on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stay here every couple of weeks for a little romantic escape. Very comfortable, clean, and well decorated. Great value for the price. When we first stayed here, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room, the comfort, the value, and the friendliness of the staff. This place is a hidden gem!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a motel than has been around for a long time but It has been totally redone and was fine for our needs. It has quick access to downtown LA , Pasadena and the valley and a good variety of places to eat nearby, It was very clean, room was attractive except for a silly plastic vase with plastic flowers. The refrigerator froze everything because it was empty and the shower was difficult to get to comfortable temperature but other than that it was great as a site to sleep and then head out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Based on TripAdvisor reviews, we booked a night at this motel when we came up to LA for a concert at the Greek Theater. We couldn't believe how great the motel was! The first thing that impressed us was an email welcoming us and giving us directions and the contact phone number of the general manager should we have any questions. Such caring customer service is practically unheard of these days!

Easy to find and freeway close. The grounds are well kept, lovely and welcoming flower beds greet you as you drive in. The motel is a cute 60s retro. Our large king room was surprisingly well appointed for such reasonably priced accommodations, amenities included a large, flat screen TV, whirlpool tub, small 'fridge and a microwave!

The bathroom had been recently upgraded with very nice stonework on floor and countertops. And the shower curtain was on one of those rods that curve outward, making your shower experience so much more pleasant. The bed was comfortable and the mattress in great shape, although not quite as firm as we like.

Our large room was very clean, did not smell of cleaners or disinfectants, and the AC worked beautifully. And although our upstairs room fronted a busy street, we had no problem at all with noise. They built motels a whole lot more solid and soundproof back in the day!

There's a little restaurant practically on the motel grounds that serves breakfast and lunch, It's a great place, good food at reasonable prices, good service. And the morning we were there, bottomless cups of coffee free with our breakfast!

And to top it all off, a couple days after our stay we got an email from the motel management thanking us for our patronage. These people really know how to get return business! We would heartily recommend this fine motel.

Room Tip: For a great king room, ask for Room 200!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Glen Capri for four nights during our recent trip to Southern California. I had read the reviews for this motel and picked it because it was close to both Warner Brothers and Universal Studios. It was also close to the Gene Autrey Museum located in Griffith Park. Travel times to these attractions are 10 minutes or less.

The Glen Capri has been completely refurbished and there is a large TV mounted on the wall in front of the bed. It is a small room, typical of motels built in the 1950's but everything is new. We were away from the motel all four days and only returned at night. The bed was comfortable and my wife didn't have to ask for extra pillows because there were four on the bed.

Starbucks is close and there were some wonderful bakeries just blocks away. Save money on their rooms and enjoy yourself while in LA LA Land. As Arnold said, "I'll be back." Oh, it is AAA.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Glen Capri Inn & Suites - San Fernando Road? Share your experiences!