“Hidden Elegance” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bashan Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 401 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: Fusion
Glendale, California
“Hidden Elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Bashan's does not look like much from the outside, but inside is some of the most creative food in Glendale. Maybe the most creative. Be prepared to spend about $50 or more per person. And is often the case with fancy food, the portions are small. However, the food is so rich that you end up feeling more than satisfied. The appetizers are spectacular--the squid and albacore sashimi we had last night were among the best versions of those dishes we have ever had. And the olive oil poached salmon was a revelation. Be sure to make reservations as their small dining room is almost always booked in advance.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

La Canada Flintridge, California
“Date night special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A recent review stated that people who go here are "food lovers who can't believe a place of this quality exists in Montrose." There are many good restaurants in Montrose and this has to be one of the best for food. As a local, it really is in Montrose, not Glendale. This visit was on our traditional Thursday "date night." We had been here before, but not for a long time. Our date nights usually are not so pricy. We had the three course prix fixe with wine pairings. Our main entrees were scallops and salmon. The interesting wine pairings were a Chardonnay with the salmon (ok) but a Pinot noir with the scallops (odd). The scallops had a fairly hearty sauce with chorizo, so I could see the logic, but I did not find it a good match. The Chardonnay was quite oaky, which my wife does not care for, so --- we switched wines. We arrived early and were only the second table occupied, but by the time we left the place was nearly full. A good sign for such a small hidden place. The service was very good, except I couldn't help notice a few slights: our wine pours seemed light compared to others I saw go by, plus others got a lemon slice in their water and we did not. Unimportant really, but for the price, one expects perfection. It was a "special" date night.

• Visited January 2013
glendale
“Hidden place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Live around the corner from this place. Small place but very cozy. Great food with reasonable pricing. I call it "a slice of West LA in Glendale." Never had a disappointing meal. Usually eat here once a quarter, would be there more often but wife and I like to try different places.

• Visited May 2012
Los Angeles
“Nice hidden restaurant with very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I've been here a couple times and the food here is good. I've ordered various items on their menu and it's all good. The place is small so reservations are recommended.

• Visited October 2011
Altadena, CA
“What a delight, what a gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

What a delight, what a gem
We came just before 7, without reservations. Oops! But we were seated quickly and scanned the menu.
We started with the Prosecco sparkling wine, and we decided to share our appetizers.
However first came a beet juice “shooter” which, I could have passed on. Then some olive or sourdough bread. Yum. The Prosecco was just fine btw and my hubby and I were enjoying the time.
The corn chowder and blue crab salad were AMAZING. The sweet of the corn chowder were actually a nice compliment to the salty, brine freshness of the blue crab salad, which is made of chunks of gorgeous crab lightly dressed and stacked onto itself. Just so good.

Our main dinners were the special of Scottish salmon, a buttery fish that can and should be prepared simply to allow the beaty of the fish to shine through. In this case, it was, with a crackling skin, and fish done medium rare, though just a bit more rare than I would have preferred. Still tasty but a bit raw.
My hubby had the wild Alaskan Halibut, with roasted Macadamia nuts and grilled cauliflower.

Maybe it was that the appetizers were so over the top great, the fish dishes were good, but not over the top for us.

Well, what to do but have dessert? My hubby went for the chocolate coulant, which was veerrry good. I had a more simple dessert of three sorbets: raspberry, mango and lemon. Refreshing, light and just right for me. The French press coffee was also perfect.

We sighed. Happy happy, and walked out hand in hand.

They do have pre-fixe dinners and special nights with special pricing, but in fairness, this is a more expensive place than we generally go to.
Cost of a lovely French dinner for two with appetizers, wine, dessert? $160.
Cost of a long time couple remembering why they dated in the first place? Priceless.

Thank you Bashan.