“Neighborhood Gem Definitely Destination Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Glen Ellen Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Glen Ellen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Amazing fresh foods cooked in a wood-fired oven.
Sonoma, California
“Neighborhood Gem Definitely Destination Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Okay. Alright. I give. I dine here several times a month. Part of me doesn't want the word to get out, but that wouldn't be fair to the Glen Ellen Star team. Chef/Owner Ari Weiswasser hails from the French Laundry and he does Thomas Keller proud.
The vegetables, my favorite, are harvested from the nearby organic gardens, including family-owned Benziger Winery. They are cooked in cast iron skillets in the wood oven and arrive sizzling hot to the table. Don't skimp here. Share as many orders as you can.
The mains are all exceptional. My kids will argue it's the best steak they have ever had (and they have it a lot). I adore the whole roasted dourade with preserved meyer lemon and romesco sauce. The pastas are housemade and there usually is a vegetarian option which will never disappoint. The specials change often and always reflect the season.
The wine list is lovingly local. Please don't sneer at the wines on tap. They're fun and vibrant and probably a wine you need to try.
Dessert isn't really an option. The Star makes their own ice cream and serves it in half pint containers. If you're full from dinner, it travels home easily. Often there is a fresh fruit crumble from the wood oven. Spectacular on its own or paired with the signature ice cream.
Reservations are needed most nights, but if you are making last minute plans, add your name to the list and enjoy a PBR or glass of wine while you wait. If you're solo or with a pal or two, consider the counter. It's my favorite place to sit, in fact, I think it's the best seat in the house.
The neighborhood (mine) is quaint, the restaurant vibe is Brooklyn meets Sonoma County hip, and the service will make you feel like a regular, even if you're not.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“A favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

These are the kind of restaurants I love... small, trendy, and serving up delicious food. You MUST try the Tomato Cream Pie Pizza - so good!

Visited July 2014
Bellevue, Washington
“My favorite pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Is it worth waiting for a table if you just want to eat a pizza. This was certainly a very tasteful pizza. Cool atmosphere and friendly staff.

Visited January 2014
Sonoma, California
“Where The Concierge Goes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

As the concierge of Olea Hotel (right up the street), I've recommended the Glen Ellen Star restaurant to our guests for the past year and a half--and for good reason. Every one of them come back to the hotel with rave reviews of this exceptional restaurant, saying that the restaurant offered scrumptious meals and joyful service.

Soon after, I decided to try them myself and have been a regular customer ever since. Their appetizers are various vegetable dishes, prepared like you've never tasted them before. They're absolutely delicious. I've savored every one of their entrees with admiration for Ari (chef and owner) and his sous chefs. Even their European-style pizzas are the best I've ever tasted. If you have room left over for dessert, then try their home-made gelato . . . you eyes will glaze over at the first mouthful.

So as long as the Glen Ellen Star restaurant continues their tradition of offering exceptionally prepared meals with outstanding service, I will continue to recommend to my guests to eat there while making sure I get down there at least once a month for another great culinary experience.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great, fun dinner after a day of wine tasting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We walked here from our B&B on our last night in Sonoma, and were seated at the counter. It was fun watching the cooks prepare meals, and the counter lent itself to talking with those around us. My husband and I ordered a salad, soup, and a pizza, which sounds really casual and boring for a "casual foodie" restaurant, but it was all so delicious! The service was a little slow, but I think it was just because the place was so busy - plus we weren't in any hurry, so it didn't matter. Recommend it if you're looking for great food and casual atmosphere.

• Visited November 2013