“Fascinating tour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Benziger Family Winery

The Benziger Family Winery
1883 London Ranch Rd., Off Arnold Dr., on the way to Jack London State Historic Park, Glen Ellen, CA
800-989-8890; 707-935-3000
Website
Improve this listing
Visit The Benziger Family Winery like an insider
Top Rated
$339*
and up
2-Day Muir Woods and Wine Country Tour from San...
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Glen Ellen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Wine tasting
Chicago, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
“Fascinating tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The tour is one of the better tours in the area. The tour takes you on a tram through the vineyards to different spots where you can see the biodiversity that they have set up to cultivate the land in a healthy and sustainable way. While there are a few weird aspects to the way they make wine (burying bull's horns, etc.), growing grapes where they grow best, growing other things that attract beneficials or improve the soil makes sense. My only criticism was that while the tour guide invited questions, when I asked about the difference between biodynamics and permaculture, he seemed annoyed that I asked and brushed me off. A simple, I don't know much about permaculture (if that was the problem) would have been a better answer.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A must-visit if you are in the Sonoma area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this winery and their wine so much that I have been part of their wine club for two years. Each time I go to Sonoma (I live in Austin), I make a trip to Benziger, even if it's the only winery I have time for. I am not a Chardonnay person, but I LOVE theirs - so much so that I bring a handful of bottle back with me. **Please be aware that the widely-distributed varieties in other states (those you find for under 20) are not a good example of what Benziger has to offer. Order directly from the winery, you won't be disappointed whether you are a red or white connoisseur :) Also, they offer a great tour!

Visited November 2012
“A must visit in Glen Ellen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by Benziger Family Winery after the recommendation from another winery- what a great treat! Wine tasting was excellent- be sure to ask for Bianca, she was very knowledgable and lots of fun. My husband and I both found our new favorites and can't wait to share this great wine with our friends back home. A must see while in Sonoma!

Santa Rosa, California
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome Family Winery practicing the best farming principles, creating distinguished wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Family commitment and integrity at it's best. Benziger Family Winery is a slice of heaven on the rolling hills below Sonoma Mountain. Our tour of the farm and winery was very informative. Biodynamic principles have been practiced on the land since the mid-90s.

The distinguished wines have jewel-like qualities, clean, bright, balanced...lovely to taste, and they are all unique to the land where they come from.

Lambs frolicking, birds singing, grapes budding...the dance of cosmic forces....Heaven on Earth...and the nectar of the Gods, just as it was intended.

Thank you, again, Kathy, for such a delightful experience.

ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Great tour and delicious wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the tour of this biodynamic winery. My family is very Eco conscious and we really appreciate all the effort taken into making this winery Eco friendly and biodynamic. Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and we also enjoyed the tasting room and small shop. The gardens are amazing. We saw a beautiful rose plant there that I took photos of and we planted the same species in our backyard. Just a really great place to visit!

Visited July 2012