“You must stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glen Ellen
San Francisco, California
“You must stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I was lucky to experience the Olea Hotel for a Saturday night stay with some girlfriends for a trip up from SF to wine country. We adored the hotel, and the staff, and literally planned our next trip to this gorgeous retreat on our way home. EVERY detail of this cozy, quaint, yet modern and new hotel was extraordinary. The breakfast was to die for, the bed was the most comfortable I've been in at a hotel, and the staff were truly memorable, especially Linda, Clay, and the owners. We'll be seeing you all again soon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
South Lake Tahoe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were amazed with our stay at the Olea Hotel. When we checked we were personally showed us to our room and explained how everything worked. She helped with suggestions for dinner as well. Our room was beautiful with so many wonderful amenities - down to the heated bathroom floor. They have outdone themselves on the remodel! We thoroughly enjoyed our dessert and port after dinner. Breakfast in the morning was to die for - a real gourmet treat! The staff was incredibly friendly, gracious and helpful. We can't say enough about our stay. It was a true delight!

Room Tip: Ask for a hillside room.
Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We just got back from our 2 night stay at the new Olea Inn...a GROUPON deal. What a treat !!!! We totally LOVED everything about this delightful inn. I love the furnishings, soft linens, friendly staff, patio area, gourmet food and wine, dining area....I could go on for pages!!! From the moment we walked into the office, (Kent is such a kind, caring person)...we felt like we were family. Luckily the weather was so beautiful, we got to sit outside and sip our wine. The delicious gourmet breakfast was a real treat and also I loved their homemade granola and lemon/blueberry scones. The sheets are so incredibly SOFT, I just had to order the same ones for home !! One special thing that you don't usually find in your travels is a HEATED BATHROOM FLOOR!!! It's a great location to use as your home base. We bought a picnic lunch at the Glen Ellen Village Market and headed a few minutes up Hwy 12 to enjoy a few hours walking around Quarryhill Botanical Gardens...we took a few 100 pictures of flowers and the gorgeous area. We were the only ones at the gardens yesterday...we only saw one other couple. It's so beautiful and has picnic tables for your lunch when you're done with your hike. Another day we headed down Arnold Drive to Sonoma and making a few stops along the way...one being the Wine Country Chocolates just a few minute drive from our inn. The owner was kind enough to give his whole talk about how they make their chocolate, and they have chocolate samples. We also found a fabulous bakery on Yelp in Sonoma...The Crisp Bakery. We explored BR Cohn Winery, also a short drive from the inn. They have both wine and olive oil tasting. The owner was The Doobie Brothers manager for many years and some memorablia on display from the group. We just had a great time..... gained a few pounds !!! We have done a lot of traveling and stayed at many wonderful places, but I have to say Olea is my most favorite...we look forward to our next visit.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

In short, this place redefined for me what I expect from vacation lodging. The staff was impeccably professional yet warm and they were always a step ahead in anticipating our needs. We felt very well taken care of. The room was very inviting as well and had the most comfortable sheets that I've ever slept on. The included breakfast lived up to the hype, one of the best that I've ever had. If you stay here and eat breakfast elsewhere, I feel bad for you. The surrounding area offers so much but the number one reason that I will return to Glen Ellen will be because of this hotel. I can't wait to return, I hope they don't change a thing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Helena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love surprises and especially if I don't have to travel too far. November 7 we stayed at the Olea Hotel.
I think it was for us a smart move to not be home on election night.
I think it would be a smart move for anyone any night especially if you also have dinner at The Glen Ellen Star.

The hotel, which felt more like an Inn to me, because of the gracious hosts and chef.
Our evening started with complimenary wine and olives which we savored on the large patio and watched the sun set. This was maybe my favorite experience.
We had Edward our bulldog along and to be able to sit in this beautiful setting under a magnificent oak tree with him and sip wine was a five star experience in my book.

Our room while on the small side had two chairs and plenty of pillows. (If you have read my other review of Basecamp you know this is an important detail)

Breakfast is the other very charming aspect to a stay here. I became very fond of the chia and you will too.
My poached egg on sweet potato hash and sauteed spinach, perfect! As was the little olive oil rosemary muffin with house-made jam.

Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Wow, I can't say enough nice things about this beautiful B&B. My wife and I came here for the first 2 days of our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we felt like welcomed guests. As soon as you check in, complimentary wine is offered while they take your bags to your room. The resort has probably 18 or so rooms, with 2 separate cottages. We stayed in one of the lower cottages which I highly recommend. The rooms are very luxurious with high end fixtures and finishes, and our cottage had a beautiful stone fireplace with plasma TV. The Cal King bed is so comfortable you don't want to get out! One word of advice - if noise bothers you, you might want to request a room in the upper lodge area. There was a little traffic noise in the morning next to our cottage (close to the road, but sheltered).

Make sure to grab the complimentary breakfast in the morning. This isn't your typical Motel Continental breakfast; rather, its a full pairing with local meats, fruits, jams. Highly recommended!

Downtown Glen Ellen and Jack London State Park are very close which makes for a great day trip. There are also several small restaurants and wineries which are modestly priced considering the region.

Room Tip: Be aware there is traffic noise in the cottage
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Visited for the first time last week with a girlfriend. And, it was an amazing experience! So good we decided to stay an extra night. The location is walkable to the town of Glen Ellen, a short drive to gorgeous hiking trails, and the town of Sonoma. The rooms are decorated very contemporary and are spotless. We enjoyed the patio and the "private home" feeling of the cottage.

Chris, the owners, and the entire staff were so friendly and accommodating. They did everything in their power to make our stay as relaxing and stress free as possible.

The best thing about our stay? The gourmet breakfast and the port tasting and dessert in the evening. I still dream about the morning pastries and dessert! And, it was a great way to meet the other guests.

The price seems high, but when you include the breakfast, port-tasting and dessert, free in-room snacks, free cured olives, fruit, espresso, tea, and local wine all day, it's so worth it! What a treat this stay was. Perfect break from the everyday stress. I hope to visit Olea Hotel again real soon.

Room Tip: Cottages are very private and enjoyed sipping wine on the patio.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Olea Hotel? Share your experiences!