“comfortable stay...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Gilroy
Benicia, Ca
“comfortable stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is an older hotel that has been refurbished. The interior hallways have been redone & seemed very clean.

We had a room with 2 queens beds. The room was reasonably spacious. The dresser was small but there was a closet with sliding mirrored doors. There was a flat screen TV, a fairly large, quiet refrigerator with a small freezer & a small microwave.

The vanity/sink was outside the bathroom with the toilet & tub/shower. Normally, I like this setup but I prefer that the sink location to be off the hall or behind a wall, not right next to a bed.

The room had plenty of light. There was a desk with a chair & an additional chair. The bed was not luxurious but was comfortable.

The complimentary breakfast had much better fruit offerings than most. Both the pears and tangerines were very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night during the week earlier this month at the Forest Park Inn. While on the negative side I thought the room felt cheap (maybe it was the paint ) and there was but one elevator in the middle of the complex, there were many pluses. The hotel is close to Highway 101 but far enough away to not hear the traffic noise. The bed was comfortable, there was a upgraded shower head, and there were full length mirrors on the closet. I also liked that they clean the TV remote controls. While the hotel provides warm breakfast food, it also sits in basically the same parking lot as the Black Bear Diner, which offers a decent menu at reasonable prices. To get to the Chevy's restaurant it is necessary to cross a busy street. There were not many guests, so I cannot speak to the thinness/thickness of the walls. I would suggest running the "fan only setting" on the air conditioner, as when activated the cooler constantly goes on and off throughout the night.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor and while there was not much of a view, it was pleasant to sit on t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We live in San Diego with a daughter who goes to UC Berkeley- a long drive. Gilroy ends up being a good stop over with a (relatively) short drive in the morning to Berkeley. It is also cheaper than the hotels in San Francisco. We've tried different places and this is the best. Clean, friendly and good value. The rooms with the fire place are quaint and a welcome change from the typical box room of the roadside motel. The outlet mall is close by in case we have some extra time. The Black Bear Cafe across the parking lot is great for comfort food after a long day on the road. The breakfast makes a good start on the day. GO BEARS!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

-decent hotel near highway

-clean rooms with useable balconies

-walking distance to restaurants (mexican & diner) & gas station / convenience stores

-adequate free breakfast in pleasant room

-extremely helpful & obliging staff

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had brought my two grandchildren to stay at the hotel so we could go to Gilroy Gardens; upon making my reservation over the phone I had been informed that I could have an upgrade if I went online to Facebook upon checkin. When I was checking in I was told it was going to be over 80 degrees so I really did not need the upgrade to a room with a fireplace. I believe this should have been my choice to make not theirs. When I went to open the drawer to the dresser the entire pull came out as it was only placed in there with no screws securing it; when I went to the next drawer down the same thing happened. Now, lets go to the next morning, a Sunday morning, after having worked an entire week and spent the day out at the park the three of us would have liked to have slept in to at least 8 a.m., but no, at 6 a.m. with the sun blaring in the window, I called to the front desk to ask if they had sun blocking or darkening curtains and I was told no; I also wanted to mention that the air conditioning unit is so loud and blasting with a limited choice of how much air you want released that I just shut the entire thing down and had no circulation. The only nice part of this hotel was the woman at the breakfast room; she was extremely helpful as I had to wait from 6a.m. until 7.30 a.m. when breakfast service started. I will never stay here again as when I mentioned any of this to the front desk I was never told 'gee, we are sorry'; all I was told was that it was helpful that I told them about the dresser pulls so their maintenance man could go fix it (for the next guest!)
also, it is my belief we were given a room that had sat for awhile as their were five handprints on the mirror to the closet from a possible 2 year old, the carpet had long dark hairs on it (I found this out the first 5 minutes we were there and should have said something). Do not stay here if you actually want to sleep past 6 a.m. and want to be able to breathe circulated air.

Room Tip: Upon arrival should you see anything amiss report it immediately and ask for a different room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 5 nights and enjoyed my stay very much. The room was decent size and was very clean. There was a king size bed that was quite comfortable, a flat screened t.v. And a small fridge. There was a small balcony but only one chair and no view. The room I had incl. a gas fireplace which was really a nice touch. The bathtub/ shower had a arched shower curtain so it felt more spacious and the water pressure was good and the water hot. The only real thing I thought odd and very inconvienient was there was no microwave in the room! I did take some leftovers over to the lobby one night and was allowed to use the one in the breakfast room. I took advantage of the hot tub one night and it was nice. I was unable to get the sauna to heat up however so I am not sure what was wrong there. The workout room had a few pieces if equipment that were not functioning properly but I just used the treadmill. The breakfast was abundant and included sausage and eggs in addition to yogurt, breads and waffels. There were apples and oranges and 24 hr. coffee in the lobby. The price of $107 per night was borderline steep for this hotel but I found, after this being my 2nd trip to Gilroy, that if you want to stay somewhere nice and clean there are not too many options. The lower price hotels in Gilroy that I stayed /looked at were either dirty or scary looking! I would stay here again and I forgot to mention that the employees really do make you feel comfortable and are very accomodating!

• Stayed October 2012
bwforestparkinn, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Forest Park Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Best Western PLUS Forest Park Inn. We are happy hear that you enjoyed your 5-night stay with us! We are glad our amenities, bed, and fireplace met your expectations. I will pass on to our maintenance the problems you encountered with our Sauna and workout room, we will definitely look into it, thanks for bringing it to our attention we truly apologize for any inconvenience. We look forward to your next stay.

Regards,

Andrea Chavez
Assistant Sales Director
Alameda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am the Traveling Sales.Guy you have all seen or heard about. The thing is, when you are on the road as much as I am, you learn a.thing.or two. I have been staying at.the Best Western Forest Park Inn for many years now. Even before they becsme part of the Best.Westerrn chain. ALWAYS a good clean room at a reasonable price. Most rooms have a small balcony attatched to them. They have a small pool and on-site laundry. Their continental breakfast is fairly standard but presented well in a nice room next to the office.
Best of all though, they have a Black Bear Diner in their parking lot! I will save the Black Bear for a later review but let's just say, best home cooking with great portions while on the road at any of their locations.
The Forest Park Inn and the Black Bear Diner make a great pair and never disappoints for a nice place for a stop over or even a few.days while in Gilroy.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Forest Park Inn? Share your experiences!