“Quick Trip” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Gardena
Bakersfield
“Quick Trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had a Dr. Appointment in LA and decided to spend the night. We found the Hotel online and the price was competitive with others in the area. I was a little concerned that there were no recent reviews, but the reviews were positive. When we arrived the person at the fron desk was very friendly and helpful. That was the highpoint of the stay. The room we booked was listed as 2 queen beds, but the beds were a little small for queen size and were VERY firm. Each bed had 2 half-size pillows. The carpets in the room were sticky. Breakfast offerings were toast, waffles, coffee and orange juice. I would spend an extra $10 to $20 and book something else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My hubby and I stayed here in 2010 after having a lot of trouble deciding on LA accommodation, being backpackers we didn't want to spend much.
We booked the Rodeway Inn as the reviews generally were quite positive and we thought it looked to be close to the airport.
Soooo, it was kinda close to the airport (but still took ages to get there so cost a fair but), but not the city, or public transport!
We worked out that the nearest train station was around 3.1 miles (around 5kms) from here so we walked rather than catching a cab (there were supposed to be busses but we didnt see one at all - apparently the busses in Gardena are useless) as we were heading for Disneyland. we caught the train as far as we could and then a bus to Anaheim - around 1.5 hours on the bus! After a great day at Disneyland, a bus and train later we arrived back at the train station and decided to walk back to the hotel. it was dark - so this was a terrible decision, I was sure that we weren't going to make it back alive!! We did though.
The next day we caught the train into Hollywood Boulevard and then to Dodgers stadium - great experience, don't miss the baseball! This time we just caught a taxi the whole way back to the Rodeway.
We'd hoped to head to Santa Monica or Venice Beach on our last day but it was gonna take much too long to to get there via public transport (2 hours +) and cost too much in a cab, so we just waled around the Gardena area for the morning (not much to see really!).
I should also mention that the location wasn't particularly safe, Gardena is next door to Compton ('Boys in the Hood' territory) therefore I really didn't feel safe walking around day or night. I did feel relatively safe at the Hotel though.
In summary,the rooms were quite okay, the staff friendly and the breakfast great (waffle maker!!). However I would not possibly stay here again unless I had a car to get around. We were glad to be flying out to Vancouver after 3 nights and 2.5 days in LA.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I drove from Ontario Airport expecting this to be a Best Western. I thought I'd give it a try.

Staff was excellant.
The rooms were nicer than I expected for the price, and Hotel Brand.
Sheets were clean and crisp.
Fridge in Room.
Extensive TV Channel selection.
Quiet. My room was next to the Housekeeping storage area, but no excessive noise.
Nice work desk with ample electrical outlets.
Shopping & food within walking distance,
No business center, but a printer is avaiable in the lobby.

I have no problems returning here in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
EFRAIN O, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Gardena, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you very much for the review! It is clear that you are a professional traveler, or "road warrior", and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We value our corporate guests a great deal and try our best to provide and clean and quiet work environment for your stay. Please contact us at the hotel so that we can schedule your next trip to the Gardena-Torrance area.

Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

first time staying @ this hotel, read reviews and decided to see for myself. Staff was very helpful & friendly. our first room the tub was clogged being it was a saturday ( no maintenance) we were moved to another room within 5 minutes. hotel is a bit on the worn side but it was clean and pretty quiet for a weekend, noticed a NO PARTY policy @ front desk which put my mind at ease. all in all I will be staying again. If you are looking for a 4 star hotel keep looking but if you want a place to stay with out breaking the bank then book your room. continental breakfast was good my kids enjoyed the bagels & waffles.

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you very much for the kind words. Our goal here is to impress every person that walks through our doors. We feel we have an excellent value for a hotel room. We work to provide great service in a nice room for a reasonable price. I am happy to hear that we achieved that with your stay.

rancho palos verdes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel more than a few time; the rooms are always clean and the staff is always friendly. I love how the location is pretty much close by to anything you could possibly need, whether it be fast food or grocery shopping. Little items from various locations. Or even gambling at the Hustler Casino (just down the street) Very close to the 110 Redondo Beach Blvd, off ramp.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
-RPHotelOwner, Owner at Rodeway Inn Gardena, responded to this review, May 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to pass your comments to our staff. We look forward to your next visit.
hawthorne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Like their new renovated rooms, the molding and the new texture color makes the rooms look fresher, i never seen a continental breakfast that gives out waffles & hot coco thats a big plus. Michelle and Liz were real nice at check in and check out , had serval minor problems in rooms but were attended right away by managment. Hotel to nice to be a Rodeway, name makes you think less of the hotel than what it really is wich is real nice.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — no buisness center
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for the review! I am happy to learn that you were impressed with our new "look" here. We are very proud of our hotel and love to hear when we have improved someone's trip to Gardena-Torrance. Please contact us at the hotel for your next stay and we will be more than happy to accommodate.

Gallup
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

I booked this hotel according to other peoples' ratings(4stars) which was a big mistake! This place was definitely 0-stars! The rating of 1 above = "Terrible".

The hotel was actually listed under the name "Gardena Plaza Inn", but when we arrived it was listed as a Rodeway Inn. The clerk, who could have cared less about anything, asked when I booked the rooms, I said less than a week ago, he said it has gone through 10 name changes whithin a short amount of time which explained our and his confusion of the different name. Apparently, they have not been stable as a reputable business at all.

Since the name was not advertised as such on the internet, I asked to see a room before checking in, the room was nice at first, but the sink, washcloths and coffee maker had debris all over them. My family and I agreed to stay, but mentioned the debris to the clerk who said that they just had the lights changed. Apparently they did not clean up after the workers(???), he said all the rooms would be this way anyway... We proceeded to check into two rooms thinking this was the only concern we had to worry about.

The second room we were given smelled like cat urine and the door was ajar upon arriving to it. I mentioned this to the clerk , who was not surprised at all. He gave us a key to another room, I reminded him that we wanted rooms that were smoke free, he said they were. When we got to this room it smelled of cigarettes, but instead of having to move, again, to the second floor which was further away from the rest of our family, we decided to keep the smelly room (wrong choice).

After spending a little time in the room we realized how the carpet was not vacuumed very well. There were beer bottle caps, food, and make-up applicators on the floor in various places. Also, there were black foot prints left by the construction people in the tub and on the bathroom floor which I had to clean up, since the hotel seemed to think it was okay to leave their rooms in this unkept manner for their customers. Next came the discovery of the NEW bed lights that did not work, there were no chairs to sit on yet there was a table and a desk available. This is not to mention the outsides grounds that could have used a good sweeping.

Overall, this part of our vacation wrecked the mood of what had been a terrific time so far.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
First, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to submit a review for our hotel. We greatly appreciate all the feedback our guests have to give. This information is what we use to constantly improve the service we give. I am terribly sorry for the experience you had during your stay. We certainly do not want to ruin anyone's vacation. I fully understand how important the hotel is during a family vacation. It sounds like you had stayed during the renovation and brand change for the hotel. I want to assure you that we are done with the improvements to the hotel and that the issues you encountered are no longer occurring at the hotel. Please contact me directly at the hotel should you come to the Gardena-Torrance area. My staff and I would love the chance to change your opinion of our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardena
Independent Hot...
Miyako Hybrid Hotel
Miyako Hybrid Hotel
#1 of 19 in Torrance
4.5 of 5 stars 247 reviews

Been to Rodeway Inn Gardena? Share your experiences!