“Surprisingly nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Surprisingly nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I dug around for quite awhile looking for a decent but inexpensive hotel in the area. I saw some mixed reviews of the Gardena Terrace Inn but overall it was very positive so decided it was a good bet.

Front Desk
-The fellow working the front desk was absolutely fantastic and very friendly! And, about 5 minutes after we got to our room we had a phone call from the front desk asking if everything was OK.

Room
-Clearly obvious that it was renovated in the last few months or weeks. Everything looked brand new including a nice 46" or so flat screen. Bed was very comfortable as was the room in general.

Cleanliness
-Very clean overall.

Bathroom
-Renovated everything including the bathroom. Plenty of hot water and pressure which was nice. Our room had a tub/shower combo.

Internet
-Internet was very fast...plenty fast enough for VOiP calls and anything else you need to do. There's also plenty of routers throughout so no need to worry about getting a room close to the lobby.

Noise
-Surprisingly no noise from the street nor inside. Either there's no one beside us or the walls are nice and thick!

Surrounding Area
-Lots of choices for food around here...from fast food to sushi and supermarkets if you want to stock your mini fridge. Speaking of Sushi, I'd highly recommend the Sushi Island. A small, hole in the wall sort of place but with fantastic sushi and the lowest prices I've ever seen!

Parking
-The lot is covered and slightly adjacent to the front desk so the staff see everyone coming in and can even watch the first few rows.

Overall we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gardena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I had to move out of my house for 3 days for fumigation and I wanted to stay somewhere local. I checked other hotels, but this was my final choice. I'm glad this hotel was my final decision. The service was excellent and the staff were very nice. Everything in the room was comfortable. The HD cable TV, free wi-fi connecton and parking were awesome. I had all the comforts of home. Now I know where to go when I need a local hotel. I'm definitely recommending to my family and friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Checked in late, but Pankaj, the on site property manager was very friendly and hospitable in getting me checked in. He was also very informative, able to guide me towards dining, shopping, and the local walgreens.

The property condition is sub-par at best, but the manager makes up for it. It's hard to find employees that genuinely care about their job at non-franchise motels, but this was the exception. Thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed there twice on our trip, enjoyed the big, well equipped rooms. Beds are comfortable, everything is very clean. The staff was lovely! Sunny patio. Great value for little money. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My sister and I went to LA about 4 years ago, needed someone cheap so stayed at Gardena! It was ok value for money, staff couldn't talk much English but were nice. Room was above the wash room so used to shake due to the washing machines. Room and bathroom were nice and clean though.. We decided to walk to Manhatten beach, then down Hermosa (BIG MISTAKE) took almost 3 hours! Were too scared to use buses but used taxis a few times. Knew some people over there so had few day trips to the beaches. Few shops down the road and some nice restaurants and take aways. Heard lots of police cars driving past, probably going to compton. lol. It looks as if it has been redone and now looks very nice!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I made reservations on the internet to stay one night at the Gardena Terrace Inn after a one week Palm Springs vacation. My wife has relatives nearby so we wanted to say hello in person before heading home to Hawaii. We arrived in the late afternoon and were pleasantly greeted upon our arrival. Looking for something to eat in the area was easy, as a fairly-priced restaurant with good food in ample supply serves lunch and dinner next door (Bob's Hawaiian). However, I would not recommend walking in the area at night unless it is a for quick trip to the CVS store on the corner and back. Our room was comfortable with a small bathroom (sink outside), a small refrigerator and microwave. Although our bathtub drain was slow, we asked the manager to have it fixed before renting it out again, and he very politely said he would. The ground floor has a sufficient number of (free) parking spaces for guests, and a drink dispenser and ice are in front of the second floor elevator. There are only two floors with rooms that face each other for the most part, so privacy is not an option unless your curtains are closed. Because it suited our needs and our room had an excellent LG TV with HBO and HD on all channels, AND because of the aloha spirit of the manager, The Gardena Terrace Inn gets a thumbs up from us as long as potential guests don't go there expecting the Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are larger and have more privacy, but my guess is they go for a little more.