“Mixed bag.” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
“Mixed bag.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My immediate reaction was that this hotel is not up to the usual Candlewood Suites standards. As soon as we walked in the doors, the smell of dirty carpet/upholstery hit. The lobby area is very small and the carpet and 2 chairs could stand to be replaced. We had to wait a few minutes for the desk clerk to return, but check-in was smooth. I noticed on the way to the elevators that the tile floors were quite dirty and that the inside of the elevator was dirty- the control panel looked like it had not been thoroughly cleaned for quite some time. The halls didn't smell the best (although this may be due to someone's cooking- it smelled really odd) and later I noticed that the stairwell carpet is quite dirty. However, the room itself was clean and comfortable. I liked the modern style furniture and the fully equipped kitchen. There was a nice recliner with a flip out foot rest, a nice pull-out couch and a separate bedroom with a queen-size bed and tv. (If you sleep with the bedroom door closed, it gets hot because the A/C unit is in the living area.) Bathroom was good with plenty of hot water. All the furniture looked new and was in good condition. What I really liked about this room is that there is plenty of storage and shelving to store things and the kitchenette is nice. Room service is only once a week, but at anytime you can ask for clean towels at the front desk. We used the gym which was ok, but quite hot. I did not use the laundry facility, but I noticed that they do have quite a few washers and dryers available. I liked the room here, but I was not impressed with the public areas. My impression is that this is a hotel that gets a lot of occupants. It is in (or very close to) a commercial area, but I don't care for the area very much. This hotel does offer a nice suite at a good price, but I think that next time I would pay a few more dollars to stay in a better kept facility in a different area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor. We heard a lot of "floor above" noise during the night.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Eviesroadtrips,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. I am delighted to know that our room and its amenities worked for your needs. On the other hand, I understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the hotel's condition, particularly with the elevators and maintenance levels being a disappointment. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in Garden Grove.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This Candlewood Suites is a great value when in the Orange County/Anaheim area. The hotel sits back from the street a bit and is sort of hidden. A few reviewers commented that the hotel is located in a residential area which is completely wrong... the hotel is located in a commercial area and there are other hotels located on the street such as a Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. There are plenty of restaurants and businesses nearby.

The outside is inviting and clean and the barbeque/grilling pavilion is probably the nicest and biggest I have ever seen at any hotel. I don't know if it gets used much, but it is certainly very nice and if you have the time, a great place to grill out at.

The inside of the hotel can use some updates for sure... it is NOT run down, but can use a refresh like they have done to the rooms. The check-in area is small and nothing fancy, but is clean. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and will try to help you with whatever they can. There is a small store to purchase needed items which is quite nice and honestly, reasonable.

The rooms are quite nice and for the price... excellent. The hotel is going through the process of renovating the rooms. The first floor is done and the rooms are really nice. They come with a full kitchen, living area, bathroom which is separate from the bedroom, and the bedroom area.
The kitchens are fully equipped with dishes, pots and pans, etc. ... even popcorn! The new rooms are modern and quite nice. The bedroom area in the 1 bedroom suite was "cozy" but still rather nice. The hotel only features queen beds in all the rooms... NO KING BEDS at ALL. I guess it is because the bedrooms would not allow a king bed to fit.
I also saw a nonrenovated room... these rooms, while not so updated and modern, are still quite nice.

Overall, I would have to say this is one of the best values in the Anaheim area especially considering that it is an extended stay hotel and all suites. Yes, the hallways and lobby need updating and refreshing, but I am sure this is on the list of things to do (besides, who sleeps in a hallway?). The rooms/suites are great for either families or those on business and the staff is also wonderful.

ONE OTHER NOTE- this hotel does NOT have a pool, which for some is a big deal and others is not.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed here for one night and then moved to another Candlewood in Irvine.

The room was dirty, the linens had not been laundered, the bathroom was not cleaned, and the laundry room was filthy and disgusting. It was too late to change hotels by the time we got here, but we left asap in the morning to go to another Candlewood in Irvine. I stripped out the linens (fortunately, since we had planned to stay a while at Candlewood, I had packed extra linens in the suitcase).

I tried to wash the hotel's dirty linens, but the laundry room was full, even at midnight!

Since this is the closest Candlewood to the theme parks (Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm), I assume that it attracts tourists, especially ones who are staying for an extended period of time. Some of those tourists may be treating the property not like a hotel (where people should be considerate of other guests) but like home (where they probably feel free to mess up the place like pigs).

The Candlewood in Garden Grove is also the most expensive of all the Candlewoods in the area. What's more, when there is a convention in town, or during graduation, or spring break, or high tourist season, the prices are jacked up even more. But that is actually typical of all the hotels near Anaheim - they gouge tourists.

I would not recommend this hotel at all. Sure, the free laundry is a draw, but why pay the outrageous prices for a poorly-maintained and sloppy facility? Stay somewhere else, at a real hotel that has daily housekeeping service and just go to the laundromat if you're going to be there a while.

Room Tip: Ask to look at your room before accepting our room assignment. Check to see if it's clean or not...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear NoelleTraveler,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent stay. I am glad to know that our location was perfect for your purpose of travel. However, it is truly unfortunate to read that you did not fully enjoy your time in our hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and rest assured that I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping department for proper action and fix.

We hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the future.

Best regards,

Faith R
MORENO VALLEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Dirty carpet, my recliner had the vinyl ripped off of both armrests. Poor lighting in rear parking lot. Definitely not up to the standards of most Candlewood Suites. My truck was broken into one night, no video cameras on exterior though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear drdroad,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Faith R
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had stayed a Candlewood Suites in Texas and had a great experience, so I decided to book a room with Candlewood for my family's Disneyland vacation. The carpet in the hallway and in the room was stained. The sofa cushions were also stained. The housekeeper did not clean our room or provide us with new towels. I had to ask for them at the front desk. There was areas of exposed dry wall in the room. The good things about the hotel are the friendly staff and price. I would not choose to stay here again nor recommend this Candlewood to family or friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Jaleisha J,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the carpet condition, the sofa and housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Reasonable, comfortable, and convenient. CS Garden Grove hit all of my marks. I really needed the full freezer for my frozen Hawaiian goodies. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby on Harbor Blvd. The most convenient exit/entrance with card reader was very hit or miss with my room card- I used the main entrance almost as much. The major factor for me repeating here would be my flight time at LAX. I had an 11:30 am flight and it took nearly an hour and a half to drive 40+miles to fill up the rental car, return it, and catch the shuttle to the airport. Someplace to keep in mind for my future travel plans.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GGRGGSales, General Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We're glad to hear that the refrigerator was a convenience for storing your frozen Hawaiian goodies.
Yes, there are several restaurant options near our hotel along Harbor boulevard and even more at the Outlets at Orange. Which is only a mile and a half from our hotel.

Thank you letting us know about your key card. We'll do an inspection to ensure that our cards are functioning with ease.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Hotel is nice, lacks certain "normal" hotel amenities like a pool. Check-in took forever, even after finding out that they had no early check-ins when I arrived one hour early to check-in. The front desk lady was courteous but "the computer" was really slow and check-in took close to 15 mins. Also, I was never told that $150 would be held as a deposit per room.
Rooms were nice, the mattress in one of our rooms was really worn out and noisy. In the same room the trash can in the bathroom was not emptied out previous to our check-in and we found a used tampon and other garbage in it. The carpet in the other room looked like it hadn't been vacuumed prior to our arrival. Given all the other options around the Anaheim area we probably won't stay there again, but it's not a bad option. A plus, right next to an AM/PM for a late nite snack.

• Stayed March 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience of the check-in process. We are currently upgrading our computer systems and hope to have the speed of our check-in process down significantly.
As for the condition and cleanliness of the guest room, we are working on implementing a very detailed check list and additional staff training that will address these type of situations.
We hope that you consider us the next time you are in the Garden Grove/Anaheim area and see the changes we're implementing to make your stay a pleasant experience.

Martin Oceguera

Been to Candlewood Suites North Orange County? Share your experiences!