“A little disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Diego, California
“A little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had stayed a Candlewood Suites in Texas and had a great experience, so I decided to book a room with Candlewood for my family's Disneyland vacation. The carpet in the hallway and in the room was stained. The sofa cushions were also stained. The housekeeper did not clean our room or provide us with new towels. I had to ask for them at the front desk. There was areas of exposed dry wall in the room. The good things about the hotel are the friendly staff and price. I would not choose to stay here again nor recommend this Candlewood to family or friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Jaleisha J,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the carpet condition, the sofa and housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Reasonable, comfortable, and convenient. CS Garden Grove hit all of my marks. I really needed the full freezer for my frozen Hawaiian goodies. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby on Harbor Blvd. The most convenient exit/entrance with card reader was very hit or miss with my room card- I used the main entrance almost as much. The major factor for me repeating here would be my flight time at LAX. I had an 11:30 am flight and it took nearly an hour and a half to drive 40+miles to fill up the rental car, return it, and catch the shuttle to the airport. Someplace to keep in mind for my future travel plans.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GGRGGSales, General Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We're glad to hear that the refrigerator was a convenience for storing your frozen Hawaiian goodies.
Yes, there are several restaurant options near our hotel along Harbor boulevard and even more at the Outlets at Orange. Which is only a mile and a half from our hotel.

Thank you letting us know about your key card. We'll do an inspection to ensure that our cards are functioning with ease.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is nice, lacks certain "normal" hotel amenities like a pool. Check-in took forever, even after finding out that they had no early check-ins when I arrived one hour early to check-in. The front desk lady was courteous but "the computer" was really slow and check-in took close to 15 mins. Also, I was never told that $150 would be held as a deposit per room.
Rooms were nice, the mattress in one of our rooms was really worn out and noisy. In the same room the trash can in the bathroom was not emptied out previous to our check-in and we found a used tampon and other garbage in it. The carpet in the other room looked like it hadn't been vacuumed prior to our arrival. Given all the other options around the Anaheim area we probably won't stay there again, but it's not a bad option. A plus, right next to an AM/PM for a late nite snack.

• Stayed March 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience of the check-in process. We are currently upgrading our computer systems and hope to have the speed of our check-in process down significantly.
As for the condition and cleanliness of the guest room, we are working on implementing a very detailed check list and additional staff training that will address these type of situations.
We hope that you consider us the next time you are in the Garden Grove/Anaheim area and see the changes we're implementing to make your stay a pleasant experience.

Martin Oceguera
Hartford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

First of all the hotel management is the best. They went out of their way to make sure my stay was acceptable. The room was clean and comfortable, the Candlewood Kitchen was well stocked and everything in the workout room seemed to be functioning well. A good location right off the highway. Best of all are the room prices. I will return on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, we are pleased that you had a good experience at our hotel. Yes, the freeway access is very convenient and we're just far enough not to hear the traffic itself. We look forward to your next visit to Candlewood Suites Garden Grove/Anaheim.

Martin Oceguera
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The good - the bed was very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was very strong.
The bad - the location is in a residential area, I wouldn't recommend walking around there
The ugly - the hallway carpet is not just dirty but downright filthy and unsanitary. If you travelling with small kids, then the germ factor is very high here. Check in - the person who checked me announced my room number for anyone in the narrow check in area to hear. I thought that was Hospitality 101 that room numbers should be written down and shared only with the guest.

I read the reviews before coming here. The place is dirty. There are some nice touches in the room but the carpet itself in the room had a huge stain on it. The carpets in this entire hotel need to be replaced like immediately.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GGRGGSales, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. All feedback is appreciated and assists us in creating great hotels that guest love.

As part of our new "soft goods" package that goes along with the most recent renovation, we will be receiving all new carpet in the hotel to include guest rooms and hallways. We hope to have this accomplished within this year.

We are always training and aiding our front desk staff to be the most professional and courteous staff. Your comments help us focus on specific areas. I apologize for the service you experienced.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Not a bad place to stay if you are on a budget. The rooms are fine and adequately equipped. The vending machines on the ground floor let you purchase edible offerings for your rooms cooking facility. One problem was the arm chair - it looked like it had been salvaged from a dump! Seriously a leather chair with all of the leather worn off and he stuffing showing through.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I generally don't type long reviews and I have never lived in a hotel for more than a few weeks, but when I moved from out of state for my new/next job in SoCal (Orange Cty), I was recommended Candlewood by a friend. So, I gave it a try.

This hotel / extended stay became my second home for more than 3 months!! The General Manager Debbie was just fantastic, caring & considerate. To begin with, they were very understanding during check in. During the stay, initially, I did have some trouble with the internet, housekeeping schedule and dishwasher, but Debbie and Roy (another employee at guest services, hotel staff) always took care of me and other guests. There were certain times when 1 specific front desk staff (lady - will not name names here) dropped the ball on service, follow ups and requests multiple times, making a comfortable living difficult and causing inconvenience, but upon escalating it to Debbie, she took matters in her hands and more than made good on her commitment. In other words, Debbie, Roy and most others made my experience very pleasant and my stay comfortable. At the end, the check out process was very convenient and the staff was very understanding.

This place is just perfect for long-term stays. It has all the amenities needed and pricing is ideal, considering SoCal (Orange Cty). Very safe location as well. House-Keeping staff is very nice, polite and hard working. Most importantly, honest and sincere. I used to leave laptops, tablets, valuables, etc.. in the room. No fear or issues. None.

Now that I have moved out of the hotel and have moved into my own home, I sometimes even miss them. They kinda became like family, and the room became like my home.

Helpful tip for long-term stays or business travelers: 1. Wireless internet is poor and unreliable, so just ask for a wired modem/device if you plan to stay long, work from the hotel room or watch Netflix. 2. Ask for Debbie & Roy.

In Summary, I highly recommend this Candlewood. Very ideal and safe location central in Orange County. If I ever have to live back in an extended stay, I will come back to this Candlewood. If not in SoCal, definitely another Candlewood.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Candlewood Suites North Orange County? Share your experiences!