“Awful Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
South East UK
“Awful Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 nts before moving onto Vegas and have to say it is undoubtebly one of the worst hotels i've stayed at and deserves to be a 1 star.
Reason?....
1) Paper plates and polystyrene cups for breakfast, which was a selection of soggy cakes, toast and cereal
2) On site restaurant advertising american food but in fact dont have anything on the menu other than chinese
3) I love chinese food but it was so bad i had to leave the starter and main course. Needless to say we didnt order dessert
4) Poor speaking English staff - Ordering the disney shuttle can take a few go's
5) Incompetent staff. I asked for a shuttle bus back to the airport to be booked to be told they dont do one. 5 mins later another staff member came to the rescue and advised they can actually book one
6) On arrival, there was only set of towels in the room. I phoned for another towel and after 20mins phoned the reception to chase my towel only to be told they were waiting for the spin dryer to finish. I only wanted 1 towel!
7) The swmimming pool is overlooking the car park and is so small you could pretty much stand in the middle and touch both ends
8) Some sites advertise a nightclub and dance floor for this hotel but depends if you count the breakfast room, with metre of hard floor and a karaoke machine a nightclub.

On the plus side the shuttle bus is free to/from Disney and is on the hour every hour if booked but you have to lookout for either a Ramada or Travel-lodge bus. (We missed the bus one night back from Disney as we had no clue we were meant to be getting on a Travel-lodge bus, since we were staying at Ramada)

Last few words - I would definately not recommend this hotel unless you want a miserable stay in Anaheim. Thankfully our stint in Vegas after made up for the naff hotel in LA

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

This hotel was fine. Nothing fancy, but the room was clean (if worn) and the staff was very helpful and polite. I had requested a nonsmoking room and unfortunately the previous guest had been smoking in the room and it reeked of cigarettes. I promptly went down to the desk and they had no problem giving me another room and they were very apologetic. They seemed upset that someone had smoked in one of their non-smoking rooms. They also put us on the top floor which I had requested. The breakfast was fine; cereal, toast, juice and coffee. Overall, the Ramada was great for our one-night stay and the price was right. The only thing I wish they had were pay-for-view movies as I had promised the two teenagers that were with me that they could watch a movie, but that was my mistake, I should have checked first.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

found like 5 dead bugs in the tub!!!
ewwww!
rinsed them away, few reappeared the next morning!!

arrived late, and got horrible room next to the door to the parking lot - very noisy.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

Brought my family to Disneyland and stayed 4 days and 3 nights in this Hotel.
Pros: Swimming Pool - small but perfect if you have 2-3 kids. My 2 kids had a great time at the pool.
Continental Breakfast - If you are on tight budget, this free breakfast can save you a lot. They serve coffee, bread, apples, bananas, etc.
Cons: Room Key - It does not work during check in. You need to go down to the lobby and let them re-validate the key. Television - bad reception and the remote control does not work. Reported the issue but there's nothing they can do about it. Shuttle - The front desk will tell you that you need to make reservation to be accomodated on the shuttle. However, the drivers schedule of pickup and drop off are unreliable. Twice, we have to wait between 30 minutes to an hour. If you are catching a Disney show, better drive and pay the parking.

I hope that this review will be posted for the Management to act on the cons mentioned above.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Phoenix Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

Husband and I stayed here for one night in July and were very disappointed. This hotel is not at all what I expect from a 3 star. I've stayed in nicer Motel 6's. While the lobby is classy looking the hallways and rooms are very outdated and smelled somewhat. The mattress in our room felt like it was 20 years old. Two nice things I can say - the bathroom was really clean and they had free wireless internet access in the rooms. Still not worth the $69 we paid on Hotwire.

• Stayed July 2005
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

We stayed at the Ramada Plaza hotel in June 2005. We chose this hotel because it looked decent and was priced about $30 to $50 less than other Disneyland area hotels. We are not looking for anything special as far as hotels go, since most of our time is spent at Disneyland.

The hotel is easy to find and is in kind of a run down neighborhood. There was plenty of parking, including an underground garage which we didn't use. We were only staying one night (Sunday). We got there Sunday morning at 8:45 AM to catch the free Disneyland shuttle that runs once per hour.

Bad idea. First of all, they have one 15 seat shuttle that operates once per hour to serve the entire hotel. I had called the hotel a week prior to our stay to make sure we would have room on the shuttle. The lady that answered assured us that she put our name down for the 9:00 AM shuttle. I went to the front desk to check in and the clerk had no idea who we were. He showed me the shuttle reservation list and we were not on there. So instead of twiddling our thumbs for an hour (we couldn't check in that early, and there is nothing else to do there) I decided to just drive and pay the $10 parking fee at Disney. My advice for those who are thinking of staying here is to forget about the shuttle and just drive yourself if possible. It's not worth the headache.

Other than that, the hotel was very decent. We got back to the hotel at 11:00 PM and checked in right away. Plenty of parking. The room was spacious and clean. The television only receives about 10 channels but we were too tired to watch TV anyway. The airconditiong worked fine and there were no musty smells or anything. We received a pass for a complimentary continental breakfast but didn't use it. We did not use the pool, which was laughable. I swear these hotels could take photos that would make a bathtub look like a large lake. The pool was tiny but looked clean. Checkout was a breeze.

By the way, we drove ourselves the second day as well (Monday). You have to make a reservation for the shuttle in the morning AND the evening. With our luck, the shuttle would have been full, had not shown up, we would have been late, etc. The ART (Anaheim Resort Shuttles) are much better for the Disney area hotels. They cost $3.50 per person per day I think but they operate every 20 minutes. Disney is already crowded and stressful enough without having to worry about being stranded there.

Good luck and have fun.

• Stayed June 2005
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

It was very slow to check in. Two people were helping one person check in and they did not even bother to acknowledge that we were waiting. We finally had to say something so we can get checked in.
The room was relatively clean. Most rooms on the upper floors had a balcony. Our closet door was falling off the hinge. The worst was that the AC was extremely loud.
Breakfast was bad. We didn't bother after the first day (especially with so many restaurants just down the street on Brookhurst in Little Saigon: Lee's Sandwiches and Boulangerie Pierre). All they had was apples, cheap bread, cheap juice (tampico type OJ), cheap muffins and croissants if you woke up early enough to get some. The only thing good was the boxed cereal.
We didn't bother w/the vietnamese restaurant in the hotel, nor with the small swimming pool and jacuzzi. They had a karaoke lounge which also serves as the breakfast room. They had 2 computers w/internet access but people were always hogging the computers so we didn't use them.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Ramada Plaza Garden Grove/Anaheim South? Share your experiences!