“Efficient room layout - not a typical Residence Inn layout” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Efficient room layout - not a typical Residence Inn layout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

I have stayed at different Residence Inns and have to say this one is by far my favorite. It is a high rise setting with interior corridor which is very different from typical Residence Inns. I like the the fact that you can get a suite with 2 queen beds in the bedroom and still have a sofa bed in the living area. Some how the layout of the room is very efficient and you don't feel cramp at all. The kitchen is open to the living area instead of being tucked away to a corner.

Rooms are modern and up-to-date, clean and high standard.

Breakfast selection is above average. Due to its proximity to Disneyland, the complimentary breakfast is always packed with people.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed at the Residence Inn Garden Grove from 5/25 - 5/30/09. Overall, it was a nice experience. Here is the good and the bad.

Good:
- breakfast buffet is great! In spite of the heavy traffic, the staff keeps up with making sure everything is stocked and clean. Waffles, tortillas, bagels, scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereal, french toast, yogurt, oatmeal. Nice well rounded selection. And if some certain people are reading - yes, if you fill up 8 sippy cups with milk, fill several very large ziplocs with fruit loops, and place those with 5 or 6 pieces of fruit into your child's diaper bag for "later"...it IS stealing, and people DO notice.
- nice pool area for the most part. Seemed clean and the hot tub was HOT.
- our room was clean and housekeeping did a very good job every day
- excellent front desk staff
- lots of restaurants within walking distance, even with sore feet.
- parking was plentiful and free

The not so great:
- Elevators. 1 of them was out for most of our stay. Long lines.
- I had to PAY to use the business center? Really?
- The mattress on the pull out couch (which my kids were going to sleep on) was the worst pull out mattress I have ever seen. You could almost make out the springs from 3 feet away. My kids could not sleep on it, so we blew up the air mattress that we had in the car, one kid slept on that (on the floor) and the other slept on the couch. We did complain to the front desk and they were going to find a replacement...but to be honest, we never pulled it out afterward, so I don't know if they replaced it or not.
- The rooms were a bit smallish. We had a 1 bedroom suite.
- One night when we went down to the pool area to soak in the hot tub all of the towels were gone.

We also tried both driving/parking at Mickey and Friends and taking ART to the park. ART is faster and easier for sure. We did however get stuck at 1pm at the park when the driver pulled up to drop off people and refused to pick us up "because HE had to have lunch". Ummm, ART, just hire enough drivers so that you have some people on hand to cover breaks and lunch times....every other business seems to be able to manage without a lunchtime shut down. Sheesh!

Overall, I'd stay here again. I had a great rate ($109 per night) including breakfast and that seemed to be a great value.

Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We agonized over this decision forever and were NOT Disappointed! While it would have been nice to have a bell person, I cannot say anything negative about this hotel. Our room was the one bedroom with two queens. The separate living area with full kitchen was fabulous. We were on vacation so I didn't cook a gourmet meal there, but when you have small kids, you never know when you'll need a stove or microwave. It was especially helpful for re-heating leftovers. The breakfast was everything you could need to start your day. We didn't try the manager's hour, the pool, or the kids' theater, so I can't comment on those. If you have young children, you will not be disappointed at the Residence Inn. We stayed at the Hyatt two years ago and we would definitely go back to the Residence Inn. To sum it up, free (good quality) breakfast, free parking, free internet, laundry facilities, game room, family-friendly suites.....what more do you need?

jblake55
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. When we arrived we had to wait 10 minutes to check into the hotel. The desk clerk seemed to be running around the hotel helping some other guest until he finally returned to the front desk. Asked a few questions about Disneyland shuttle and he said it comes every half hour and that was it. Went up to the room and after getting unpacked noticed that the room was not very clean. Hair in bathtub, remote controls very dirty, made us uncomfortable about the cleanliness of everyting. I went across the street to Target and bought some sanitizing wipes to wipe down the room with. Initially when I booked it said 4 blocks to Disneyland. I believed based on that info we could walk, but on the shuttle from the airport we passed Disneyland and I knew it was not 4 blocks to our hotel. I would guess at least a mile based on the shuttle ride. Thought that was very misleading. If you have small children you cannot walk to Disneyland. Anyways the next morning we came down for breakfast. They do have a large breakfast with many different items. The only downfall is none of the staff even said hi or good morning to me. The front desk person working that morning was the most helpful person we encountered in the hotel. Again inquired about the shuttle and she gave me a piece of paper with all the information on it. Not sure why the gentleman the night before could not? During our stay the room each day when we returned did not get cleaned very well. Overall I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience and will not return.

Portland, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

This Residence Inn is just a couple blocks by car from Disneyland. When looking at a map, I think it is actually nearer than the other Residence Inn, which is in Anaheim. I saw some people walking to Disney, but I wouldn't do it with young, tired kids. Park at Disneyland.

The hotel itself looked pretty old from the outside and had that general well-worn feel in the rooms too. Maybe it is just the heavy traffic which must come through this hotel. The outdoor parking was free, but did not feel as safe as Disneyland Resort hotels. The area is a bit run-down and dirty. Don't expect Disney standards. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They had a separate TV showing Disney Channel in a room near the breakfast buffet with kid-size tables, as well as, a separate eating room showing CNN. The breakfast buffet was one of the better Residence Inn ones... great selection, many options. The usual free PC with Internet in the lobby was not available - I was told kids had taken advantage of it, and it was discontinued. The energy of the rooms seemed a bit frenetic and the fabrics were starting to show wear and tear. We were upgraded for free into a 2 room kid-suite (one separate room with kid friendly bunk beds). Note that the lower bunk bed did not have a bedrail and we had to improvise one. My 5 year old loved his own room though!

The overall feel just was not as nice as what I expect from a Residence Inn. I think this is a general concern for the highly-trafficked-Disneyland area hotels. Would others in the area be any better? (I have only stayed in Disney Resorts previously, and they are in a category of their own).

toronto, ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

stayed 2 nights Apr30 and May 3, 09. kitchen was better equipped (oven and 2 more stove burners) than homewood suites 2 hotels down harbor blvd.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn Resort Area with our three kiddos (5,3 and 1). The kids bunk suite met all our needs. The baby slept in a playpen in the living room and it was great for the kids to have their own bathroom. I thoroughly did my research and was not let down.
But, there are a few downsides - the buffet does get very busy, so get there early. The elevators do get busy during the prime busy hours - there are only 2 elevators. The stairs are outside which is just odd. The pool does not get afternoon sun so it was not very warm. They say there is not WI-Fi in the rooms, but my laptop sniffed it out. Try it.
The upsides -- Big rooms with plenty of space for the kids and us.. ART is very convenient and timely, just board the bus early and plan on getting into the park early to beat the crowds. The food was tasty, but by the fourth morning we were done.
If we come back to Disneyland again I will stay here. But this time I will not order food from the horrible Chinese restaurant across the street.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area? Share your experiences!