“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
Grafton, MA
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Spent 8 days at the Homewood Suite in Garden Grove, CA. One adult and 2 teenagers. Found the staff to be more than accomodating from the time we checked in through the time we left. The room was great. Had one issue with a door hinge, which maintenance fixed almost immediately. Everything was extremely clean in the room and the hotel itself. The continental breakfast provided was more of a full breakfast. The only complaint with the manager's reception was that there are a lot of Mexican nights and the boys didn't care for Mexican. The only complaint all week was the time it takes the elevator. The location is great to be centralized around Anaheim and all surrounding areas. It's not that far to Los Angeles, but recommend using bus or shuttle services if possible. Mileage does not calculate to time driving through Los Angeles.

This was my second visit to the Homewood Suites in 5 years and would still return in an instant.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

My husband, 12-year-old and 16-year-old and I stayed here for three nights while we visited Disneyland, and I would happily return if we had a need to be in Anaheim. Considering the area, I thought the suite was a good value in the midst of the busy summer season in southern California. We had two queen beds, which was important because my husband is tall and we just can't cope with double beds. Many other nearby hotels with suites had only double beds or one king bed. The breakfast was just fantastic and I thought the staff did a superb job in handling the huge crowds that flock to the dining area. Every time I looked up, someone was restocking the food, clearing plates, cleaning tables, etc. Dinner our first night was spaghetti and hamburgers the second night. The front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient. The pool is not huge and does get very crowded with a full hotel. My daughter got out after a short time one night because there were just so many people in it, and we observed at the end of the evening the pool area was really trashed by the heavy traffic. But the next morning we also saw staff members cleaning and picking up, very early. The shuttle to and from Disneyland also gets crowded at the height of tourist season but we were always able to get on, even if we had to stand. One thing - there were what really seemed to be a couple of homeless people hanging around the pool one day and taking advantage of the free food. I think most guests do not sit around the pool for eight to 10 hours, with their underwear substituting for a bathing suit. The hotel might try to keep a closer eye on who's coming and going.

• Liked — Size of suite, food, proximity to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Housekeeping forgot coffee one day, washcloths another
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

We loved this hotel and we would definitely stay here again. We found the rooms to be perfectly sized for our family... two adults and three children, 7 and under. The staff was fantastic, the pool was great, and the food was surprisingly good as well. We never had to eat out!

At first we wanted to stay at a hotel that was just a bit closer to Disneyland, but we found that the A.R.T. bus "J" got us there and back quickly. Bus stop was right outside the lobby! Perfect.

The only drawback to our entire stay was the fire alarm going off one night around midnight, for what turned out to be a small, but legitimate fire in a utility room.

We'll be back!

• Liked — Free food!
  • Disliked — Slow elevators!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ckniss
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

This Hotel was fantastic. BOOK IT! I spent weeks checking out every hotel on just about every possible site for a room in the Disneyland area and read all the reveiws before chooseing the Homewood and I am so glad I did. You need not look any further, this is the one you want! They have everything you could possibly want.
My family of 8 stayed here for a week. I will tell you all the things I wanted to know about a hotel when searching for the right place to stay.
When we arrived I had a toddler in the car who was car sick and when I got to the front desk I asked her to please hurry and check me in as I had a sick child. She immediately gave me my keys and took me in the back room to get a couple of bottles of sprite for my baby.
This is a great money saving hotel as far as dining as you can buy groceries and cook in your room. It saved me about $500.00 in restraunt bills. There is a "you sack it yourself" grocery store right down the street with very reasonable prices. However I cant remember the name of it.
The 2 room suites are seperated by a locking door. The living area,sofa bed and easy chair were roomy enough for all 8 of us.
Full size refrigerator, 2 burner electric stovetop,dishwasher, pots& pans and a place set of 4 but they will give you as many as you need. Plenty of cooking utencils and silverware, glasses and coffee cups.4 cup coffe maker, big microwave,toaster,can opener and paper towel holder & towels. Really everything you need to make a meal.
Large enough wood dining table and chairs.
Large television with remote in both rooms.
The actual bathroom is seperate from the sink and VERY large countertop so more than one person can get ready at once.There is ample room for all you hygene products as well as 2 glass shelves for make-up,medicine etc. The bathtub has a big support bar on the wall for the handicapped which was important as my mother uses a wheelchair.
They provide a blowdryer, full size ironing board and iron,several wooden hangers in each closet. The closets are very roomy and one of them is a double mirrored sliding door.
The beds are big and very comfortable seperated by a nighstand and phone. The pillows are big and fluffy and very nice. It is a pretty roomy bedroom and also has a pretty good sized chest of drawers. There are 3 phones. One in the bathroom,one in the bedroom and one at the kitchen table.
The windows open up to about 6 inches which was nice as we had a smoker in our party. If you have a smoker you stay on the top(7th) floor. Our room overlooked the pool area. It was very nice.
Asking for extra pillows and blankets was never a problem.
The room was immaculate. I mean IMMACULATE. i am crazy picky about a clean toilet and tub and they were flawlessly clean and well maintained. You will not find anything in this room that looks outdated. Everything is very modern and clean.
The FREE breakfast is sensational. You can make your own waffles. They served scrambled eggs,biscuits and gravy,sausage,hash browns,bagels with creme cheese,pastries,fresh fruit,yogurt and cereal.I am probably forgetting something because it is a big spread of food! Everything is laid out buffet style. They have a juice machine,several different coffe machines with your choice of robust,regular and decaf. They have fountain drinks with several different soda choices. It is a very large dining area with several tables and padded chairs. It is a very nice open airy eating area. They will also give you large trays to carry food up to your room. They also provide dinner several times a week . we only had it once,it was hamburgers and they were delicious.
There was an ice machine and soda machine on our floor and I assume every floor.
Some of my older kids like to work out and they have a fitness room that the kids said was very clean and well equipped.
Before I booked I read reviews that the elevators were slow. I never waited more than 2 minutes for it and we used it several times a day. Sometimes it opened immediately. Not unreasonable.
The staff is very accomidating. I needed a roll away bed and they were out so they called around to the other hotels in the area to get me one. Anything I called down to ask for such as fresh towels were delivered to the door very promptly. They always answer the front desk phone immediately.
This is a GREAT place to stay with children. They provided one of those fold up travel playpens for a crib which was nice as you could move it to either room. They even give you a sheet and baby blanket for it.
The pool is really big and very clean. They also have a large shallow kiddie pool and hot tub. There are plenty of lounge chairs and fresh towels at the pool area.
The housekeepers are also very good. We had a large party and frankly were pretty untidy with so much luggage and so many people. We would put the service sign out before we left for the day and when we came back the beds were made,fresh towels,clean bathroom,emptied trash,vacuumed carpet, and all new hygene products. These ladies know how to clean a room even though your stuff is everywhere. They are very careful not to disrupt your things and still do a beautiful cleaning job. I cant praise them enough. It was very nice to come home to a clean room,freshly made beds and stacks of fresh towels after long days at amusement parks.
There is a small business room with a computer if you need to get on-line. You just ask the front desk for the key.
There are coin operated laundry facilities on the first floor.
They have pay per view movies and internet access in the room ($10.00 internet fee).
There is a starbucks right next door as well as a bank with an atm. Everything is in the same parking area and easy to walk to.
Very convenient Target store right across the street that came in handy several times.
They also have a small shop for any essentails that you may have forgotten at the front desk area.
They have a brochure stand in the lobby with all the southern california attractions. It is a very nice lobby with several sofas and chairs where you can sit and relax and read the free paper they deliver to your door in the morning.
I will never stay anywhere esle when I go to anaheim. We had a incredible stay at this hotel. The employees genuinely care about how they represent their hotel and the comfort of ther guests.
I never encountered a less than enthusiastic employee from the housekeeping to the manager.
A couple more things you need to know... Check the menu posted on your refrigerator as the breakfast times are not always the same and when it is over it is over. Including the drink machines. They clean it up very quickly. I got down there a few minutes late on my last day and the lady working the dining area was nice enough to go into the kitchen and get me several plates of hot food for my family.
They offer express checkout so you dont have to go to the front desk when you leave,you just leave your key cards on the table in the room.
Disneyland is within walking distance and they also have a shuttle bus.
I really cant say enough good things about this hotel. I have traveled a good deal and stayed at very nice Hotels and this one exceeds even the more expensive ones I have stayed it in service,cleanliness and employee attitude.
One more thing not really about the Hotel but if you are on a budget and would like to go someplace besides Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm amusement park is very reasonable. It cost me 150.00 for 10 people with a coupon I got from the hotel lobby and they have great toddler rides in the park at Camp Snoopy. We NEVER waited in line more than a couple of minutes. They also have several different roller coasters for the older kids.
Feel free to e-mail with any questions about Homewood Suites and like I said "book it now and stop looking." It is the perfect family Hotel.
Crystal Kniss, Plano Texas

• Liked — The enthusiastic staff and excellent accomidations
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I just got back from an 8 day/7 night stay at this hotel, chosen mainly due to reviews on this site, and I am extremely dissapointed. There were several major issues that I just do not expect from a room that cost's ~$150/night.

First the bad:

1) The main light in my room was broken. When you turned it on it would make a high pitched whining noise and begin to flicker and strobe. I reported this defect every morning for 7 straight days and each day was promised it would be fixed by the time I got home. Each day it was broken when I returned.

2) The speed dial buttons for things like front desk, voicemail, etc did not work on my telephone. To make things worse, the voicemail light blinked constantly due to a message for the previous occupant of the room. Unfortunately, due to the broken speed dial button, I was unable to erase it. This meant that I had to call the front desk every day when I got back to my room to see if I had any messages. Why they could not just delete the old message i will never know.

3) I asked to speak with the manager regarding the above issues several times but he/she was never available. I also asked if I could be moved to a room with a working light/phone but was told that was not possible.

4) May seem like a minor complaint but the toasters for the free breakfast took over 5 1/2 minutes to toast a slice of bread or a bagel. For what they charge for the room they can afford to buy a toaster that works.

5) The "light meal" was not really what I expected either. I came home one night and all they had was Hot Dogs. Not what i consider a meal. With that said, that was the only night I was back early enough to try the meal so that may have been an exception rather than the rule. I don't know.

6) Language problems. Several of the employees had very poor English speaking skills. I had to speak very slowly and repeat myself several times to make myself understood. I know that this is not due to my accent as I work for a multination corporation and deal with people from all over the world on a daily basis and I have NEVER had the kind of communications issues I dealt with at this hotel.

Now the Good:
1) Housekeeping was excellent

2) The room was quiet. Even through the rooms around me were occupied, I never heard a sound from outside my rooom. That is a definite plus.

3) Very centrally located. Within a mile I had several decent restaurants, a grocery store, and most anything else I needed.

4) This plus only applies if you are planning on visiting Disneyland during your stay. There is only 1 other hotel on this shuttle route. For me, this meant that the shuttle was never late and I never had to wait for the next one because the shuttle was full.

Conclusion:
Based on the my experiences and the hotel facilities, this should be a $75-$80/night room tops. Granted it is near Disneyland which bumps up the price but its just not worth what they charge. If you can stay for under $100/night, do it; otherwise prepare to be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

We spent 9 days here and were very happy with our stay. A well appointed kitchen, large suite, and good breakfasts everyday(although a little more variety would be nice). The manager's reception was really a meal ( salad bar, entree, and dessert, beverages, wine & beer - even PB & J sandwiches for the little ones) and it allowed us to come home in the heat of the day, have a quick dinner & return to Disneyland. Clean, plenty of parking, supermarkets close by, nice pool. Although it is listed as being within walking distance of Disneyland, that is stretching it a bit. With 2 adults and 2 teenagers (used to walking & physically fit) we opted to drive after the first day, so that the return home wasn't so long (about 20-25 min. walk). I would not plan to walk if you have younger children.

• Liked — Complimentary meals
  • Disliked — Housekeeping unable to leave the correct number of towels for our party - occurred daily
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

My family and I had a wonderful stay at the Homewood Suites recently. The hotel was very clean well-maintained, and the staff was very friendly. After doing extensive research online, I decided on this hotel because it seemed to include offer the most for the price. We were not disappointed! The parking is free, and there is plenty of it (which is unusual for the area!). The complimentary breakfast buffet was wonderful and featured everything from pastries and cereal to make-your-own belgian waffles, eggs, sausage, etc. Monday through Thursday nights the hotel offers a complimentary light meal from 5-7 pm, including beer and wine for the adults! The dinner is nothing fancy (fajitas, hot dogs, etc.), but certainly adequate, especially considering the $$$ saved for a family with children.

The suites feature separate bedrooms and living areas, and include a fully-equipped kitchen. Target is located right across the street, and Outback Steakhouse, Red Robin, and Joe's Crab Shack are all located within the hotel's parking area. There is a Starbucks located in the hotel next door as well.

Overall, this hotel and it's staff are awesome. I would highly recommend it to anybody visiting the Anaheim/Garden Grove area.

• Liked — Plenty of space, cleanliness, and complimentary meals.
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!