“Staff Here is "AWESOME"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Members Save 10%
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
Winnipeg
“Staff Here is "AWESOME"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This establishment must have a fantastic training program for their staff. EVERY employee offers you a cheerful greeting and a smile. They all seem anxious to make your stay a pleasant one. FRONT DESK STAFF who served us most pleasantly are: Alan, Antonio, Luis and Kaitlyn. Other notable employees are: Misael from Maintenance and Housekeepers Olga and Patricia. If I missed any other staff members by name, please know that you were awesome too.

ROOM; We had Room #118 on the main floor. It was a very quiet area. I really like the separate bedroom which enables me to get a good night's sleep in spite of my partner's loud "snoring". With the bedroom door closed, it was soundproof and I could hear nothing ! !
We found the entire area clean and reasonably well-maintained. It's handy to have a fridge and microwave for snacks. There's a good supply of dishes, glasses, pot & pans, cutlery, etc. However, our unit did not have any soup spoons, just teaspoons. Housekeeping leaves detergent for the dishwasher although we hand-washed our few snacks dishes. The bed and linens are comfortable and ample towels, etc. are supplied daily. It's too bad that a previous guest set an iron on the carpet in the bedroom and made a permanent mark. Some guests just "don't think".

MAINTENANCE; Upon arrival, we had a problem with our telephone and we were unable to retrieve our voice mail messages and missed a rather important message. A worker was sent to our room to try and fix the problem, which he was unable to do. However, another phone was installed shortly thereafter, and the problem was rectified.

We used the outdoor jacuzzi in spite of the fact it was a fair walk from our room. The jets and water temperature are good. It was relaxing and refreshing.

BREAKFAST; Most convenient to have a breakfast buffet daily from 6:00 - 9:00 AM (half hour later on weekends). There are four self-serve waffle machines, cold cereals, hot oatmeal , scrambled eggs, meat (bacon or sausages) and usually potatoes. However, one day they offered plain scrambled eggs, and next to it, scrambled eggs with peppers but no potatoes that partiicular day which seemed somewhat odd. There's yogurt, fruit, scones, bagels, and beverages include coffee, tea, milk, juice, etc. Everyone can find something they like (and we don't need those unhealthy, sweet donuts and jambusters ! )

MANAGER'S RECEPTION; Every Monday thru Thursday, a light complimentary evening snack is offered from 5:00 - 7:00 PM. It's handy if you've been on the go all day and just want to relax for the evening.
I must admit, however, that Homewood Suites in other locations offered a much more tempting menu. I would guess that this location, being close to Disneyland, plans its menu to please the dozens of KIDS who are staying at this facility. For example, Thursday we had hot dogs, Monday we had hot dogs again (supposed to be chicken), Tuesday was tomato-sauced ravioli with some sort of ricotta-type cheese filling, Wednesday was hamburgers, etc. Salad is included daily. I would have preferred just a simple bowl of soup since my digestive system was NOT up to handling the above items. But, I will add, it is nice to have both the breakfast and snack selections offered as part of your room rate. The convenience is a big "plus" if you don't feel like going out at that particular time.

COFFEE; There is a self-serve urn offering coffee in the lobby at all times (and my favorite flavored International Delight creamers ! )

KIDS; There are ALOT of kids staying in this hotel --- which I would expect being that it is close to Disneyland. This was not an issue except when dining. Even at 6:00 AM the area was full of babies, toddlers, and older ones. Some days we hit it lucky and were able to eat in a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. In addition to the noise, some parents just don't watch their kids. We find them running instead of walking. Some 5-7 year olds are trying to reach the service area to dish out their own food and it is spilling all over, making a horrible mess (no parent in sight !) The staff is efficient in constantly cleaning up the counters and floor.

SHUTTLE; A shuttle leaves the hotel every half hour for Disneyland. I would suggest that information be posted somewhere that there is a $5.00 per person cost. The Front Desk staff can't be expected to advise every single customer about this charge unless they ask. It would give the guest an option to take his car or use the shuttle. I believe there is 3 hours free parking at Disneyland and perhaps some guests would prefer to drive rather than pay $10 or $20 for the shuttle. Also, since there is not a concierge on the site, the Desk staff should know the actual hours of operation at Disneyland. We got some conflicting information.

MANAGER'S COMMENTS; I think it's nice that the manager, Gary H., comments on certain reviews and welcomes guests back to this facility. The problem I have with this is that all his remarks are basically the same (it's like a "form" letter where you just push "send"). How much better it would be if he would actually make reference to something in the guests review, even if it were only a short phrase, but at least it would be a "personal" reference rather a ditto, ditto, ditto. Just a suggestion because after reading several of the "same" replies, I had to mention it.

CONCLUSION; I LOVE Homewood Suites, whether it be Florida, Canada, or wherever. These facilities are not the high-end of the scale, but they are certainly comfortable, "homey" and in a reasonablle price range. We always check to see if there if a Homewood facility in the area when we are travelling. And, again, I want to say that the staff at this particular location is amazing !

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not next door to a family of kids, if you want a quiet area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to reach out and let me know about your experience during your recent visit. I am happy to hear that the team stood out, and were able to assist in making your experience a memorable and enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Turkish first
Auburn, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

First of all, I would like to say that I have always liked this hotel. I had written a review previously about how we Loved this place! I received a response to that review from Joe Lienacker, the General Manaager, in which he thanked me for my review and asked me to e-mail him with the dates of my next stay so he could make it a special one.

I was thrilled and did as he asked, I e-mailed him to let him know the dates we were staying there. I wasn't expecting anything big, but maybe a personal welcome or something.
What we got was mediocre service. We were given a room right away, even though we checked in about an hour early. We were also given a kit kat candy bar wrapped in a note saying thatnk you for our loyalty. Again, I was not expecting anything spectacular, but when someone tells you they are going to "prepare a special arrival for you", I expect more than a candy bar. I asked the clerk if Joe Leinacker was available and was told that he was no longer employed there. This would exlain the uneventful welcome. On our last night at the hotel, we arrived back at the hotel after a long day at the parks with a 6 year old and an 18 month old. I went to run their bath only to find there was no hot water! I called down to the desk and was told thery were aware of it, that they had someone working on it and they had to order a part. They did offer to let us shower/bathe in a different room. The other room was all the way at the opposite end of the long hallway, which was extremely inconvenient with two young children. I told them my concerns and they said I could just move rooms. I chose to move rooms, with two children at 10:00 at night, even though we had to check out by 5:30 am to make it to the airport on time for our flight home. I loaded everything up and moved it to the other room! When we finally got moved (at about 10:45), I went to turn on the fan as it was hot in the room. There was no fan, the unit was making a horrific noise and no air was flowing thru it. I called the desk and they said they would send someone up to fix it and to also bring us a portable fan. I waited for over an hour and a half before calling the desk and telling them to cancel the call as I needed to get some sleep. Little did I know that the loud clanking noise from the unit would keep me up all night! The next morning when we ent to check out I told the clerk what had happened. I did not get so much as an apology! She made it seem as if I were inconveniencing her by letting her know how our stay was.

To top everything else off, I found a very stinky, mans dress sock next to our bed.....makes me think they did not vacuum the room!!

My family has stayed at this hotel for years. We travel to Disneyland every Easter and Christmas and stay for a minimum of four days (usually 6) each time. Unfortunately, I am now researching other options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gary H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Becky V,

I am so sorry we were not able to meet your welcome expectations. As you noted, Joe is no longer at this hotel, and his email is not accessible to us, so unfortunately we did not receive your arrival email notification. I definitely understand how this could be frustrating to you, but appreciate your understanding.

In regards to the other challenges during your visit, please reach out to me via email, or telephone the hotel, so that I can obtain details on your visit, since I am unable to determine specifics from tripadvisor. Again I will apologize; we did have a hot water problem at the end of November, after a local house caught on fire, causing a transformer to blow, ultimately causing an area-wide power outage. This caused our boiler to go down, but we immediately had a team arrive, and repair the problem. They were here until late at night, so this may have been on the same date, and may have affected you as well. Again, please accept my sincerest apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you, to discuss your visit.
Gibsons, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked this hotel because of favourable reviews from trip advisor. The hotel was clean, our suite was large and comfortable. All amenities provided as stated. We even had a great view to Disney's fireworks each night. The bus to Disney came every 30 minutes. Decent dining within walking distance. We would stay there again. No need to spend $300/night anymore!

Room Tip: Suite with King bed was comfy for two adults and two children.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gary H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to review the Hilton Homewood Suites – Anaheim Main Gate. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us, and hope to see you and your friends in the near future.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The staff was outstanding. I thought they posessed more of the "Disney Spirit" than the staff at Disneyland. Everything was perfect all of the time. My son ended up throwing up in the middle of the night and one of the staff came up and helped us clean up and re-make the bed. They could not have been more helpful. I'll definitely stay here again.

Foster City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Indeed this was a great hotel to stay. Target located nearby is about 10 minutes walk. The hotel staff is every friendly and helpful. The shuttle to DisneyLand runs on schedule.
But I did not give a 5 star for the following reasons.

1. The coffee mugs were not cleaned. The coffee stains were distinctively noticeable.
2. The water seeps very slowly in the bath tub.
3. The breakfast opens at 6:30am on Magic Morning Saturday's. It would be great if breakfast opens at 6:00am even on saturdays. This way the kids could eat a little breakfast before heading out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to review the Hilton Homewood Suites – Anaheim Main Gate. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us, I am so happy to have you as our guest. I hope to see you and your friends in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a two bedroom two bathroom apartment which was good for our family of 5 including two teenage boys. The kitchenette was great, as there was a Target in walking distance we could bring our own food and drinks back to the room easily. The breakfast was really good with lots of choices of hot and cold food. The complementary light dinner Mondays through Thursdays was really nice and it saved us alot of money on dinners .Location is great just a short shuttle ride to Disneyland and walking distance from shops and resturants. The staff are extremely welcoming and friendly, all of them, all of the time.The outdoor pool area is nice. A great place for families to stay the only negative I would say is the rooms are rather dated and when we first walked in the carpets felt dirty and slightly sticky. But overall we enjoyed our stay here and would stay again. Really impressed with how friendly the staff are.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
san jose, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have been to this hotel a few years ago and it has aged in those years.

Here are the pros of the hotel:
-suite with 2 rooms that have a door that you can close to allow the kids to sleep while you relax outside
-microwave, full fridge, dishwasher
-front desk are very friendly but can get very busy at times and may not always answer the phone
private shuttle they share with the Marriot next door but its $5 for adult and $2 for kids/day-cheaper if you buy multidays, but it's better than the ART shuttle, this one goes from the hotel straight to Disneyland
-2 long miles from Disneyland
-free breakfast daily, manager's dinner Monday-Thurs.

cons:
no safe in room so we had to carry our computers everwhere with us, they have safe deposit box in front desk but very small-won't fit the computer
-self parking but still has to pay $12 bucks per night
-rooms were not bad but the bathrooms need a new look- shower curtains were worn down, cracks in the shower bar that holds the curtain up, paint around the room looks old
-not too much things they offer to their guests for free: no razor, a toothbrush possibly, no combs and other things other hotels do provide as needed
-no upgrades for Hilton Honor members
-breakfast is available but taste is average and gets old after a few days. Super crowded when we were there. Had an egg item, sausage, toast, bread, ceral, make your own waffle. Would be nice to have fresh cooked eggs.
-beds move when you turn, not firm in the room we were in.
-very, very slow main elevator-even the front desk reminds you but the other option is very far.

Overall, this is an average basic stay hotel for Disneyland. With a little remodeling of their rooms, it will be a nice place to stay. But it was nice to have breakfast and a suite hotel-more room is always better. Would be nice not to have to pay for parking for a hotel so far away from the Disneyland main gate.

Room Tip: Target is right across the street, Starbucks is right next door at the other hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to reach out and let me know about your experience during your recent visit. I am happy to hear that the team stood out, and were able to assist in making your experience a memorable and enjoyable one. I am also happy to announce our rooms and corridor renovation, so you will be able to enjoy our refreshed look during your next visit. This renovation should be completed by mid-June, so I will apologize in advance, as there may be some disruption due to this project. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!