“Poor service for a 4-star hotel with a generally hefty rate.” 2 of 5 stars

Disneyland Package
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Garden Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern Oregon
“Poor service for a 4-star hotel with a generally hefty rate.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

My daughter (9) and I just returned from a mildly disappointing four night stay at this property.

We arrived at 11pm to find no one to assist us with our bags. We checked in and found our way to the elevators, then our room; #329, South Tower.

We found grease stains on the throw pillows on our bed and pieces of who knows what, on our bedroom floor. It looked as though someone had eaten a cookie and sat on the bed to do it.

It was obvious to me that no one had vacuumed, and as I reached to turn the light on next to the bed, I found more crumbs and dust covering the top of the headboard. While usually I would think this was being nit-picky, I thought it sloppy from a supposedly 4-star hotel, but decided to forgo a call to the front desk for a night of rest before going to Disneyland.

The next morn (our first day to go to Disneyland...) we ate on-site. The breakfast food was a bit expensive, but pretty. The taste, above average. Note: they only serve breakfast at breakfast time.

After breakfast we loaded onto the shuttle bus. It was VERY crowded, but we managed to squeeze on and stand up for the 1-2 mile ride.

The free Disneyland shuttle bus was always on time, and usually, there were two. They stop at the Hyatt and the Crowne Plaza before returning to a designated spot about a quarter of a mile from the security checkpoint at Disney Parks. (We did take a cab to the park one morning because we had early entry passes, but it cost $10 one way!) The shuttle service is great...the best part of the Hyatt experience for us.

When we came back from Disney that first day, we discovered our room had not been cleaned (it was 4pm). I found a housekeeping staff member and asked if they planned on cleaning it and they said 'yes'. After about 25 minutes they returned and wanted to clean it. We had decided to go to the pool, then dinner, so I opted for clean towels and told them they could skip it as we would be in and out.

The pool was a relatively small one, on the third floor. Although I know they have two, this was the one closest to our room and we didn't check the other one. Next to the pool there was a spa, a large
area for relaxing in the sun and the gym.

The gym equipment is excellent: stair climbers, elipticals, weights
... and bikes on the patio beside the pool. All up to date, clean and more than one of each.

When we returned to our room to freshen up for dinner, we discovered something interesting about the bathroom's layout. The bathroom in our room was very small, and if you sat on the toilet and someone opened the door (inward) you'd get hit with it. The door cleared the front of the toilet by about 4 inches!

Water temps ran hot and cold if it was a busy time of day for showering, and the tub drained very slowly. The toilet flushed loudly and seemed to go on and on before it filled and shut off.

Our room had two queen beds with four pillows on each bed and a throw (the greasy pillow....). We had a desk, a bureau, a side table between the beds, two telephones, and a tv. An ironing board was in the closet and the bathroom had a small coffeemaker. Internet via the
tv was available, for a fee.

Our view... non-existant. We opened our drapes and saw a terra cotta colored wall and an entrance to the tennis courts. We kept the blinds
drawn most of the time because of this.

The beds: very comfortable; the best part of the room. Sheets were of a high thread count and soft, with pillow top mattresses underneath them. Four fluffy down pillows were a definite plus.

Our neighbors could be heard coming in at around midnight, but the walls didn't seem to be thin. Our room had a connecting door that seemed to be flimsy (the neighbors rattled it several times...), but I put my 50# suitcase in front of it to add to my peace of mind.

Another family member had joined us on this trip and we had booked two rooms (with the same order) through Hotwire. The other room was on the 7th floor of the South Tower (a king bed, with a puillout couch...); it had a view and you didn't get hit by the door if you were on the toilet!

We each paid $66 a night through Hotwire, and admittedly, that was a steal for any clean, safe room in Anaheim or Garden Grove, California.

Location: Target is across the street (we bought water and soda there, versus buying it at the hotel...), and Joe's Crab Shack, Outback Steak House and Red Robin are also across the street. Subway and Del Taco are also very close, as is a golf course. Disneyland is about 1 mile north. There are many other properties between the Hyatt and Disneyland; most with shuttle service.

Each morning around 6am they would leave a paper at your door, but you have to pay $4 a bottle for water left in your room. If you went to the Starbucks in the lobby, you could not use a Starbucks coffee card and the drinks were about 10% more than at the Starbucks in the Orange County airport!

On our last night we asked about the availability of cabs for a 5:30 run to the Orange County airport. They assured us it would be no problem. It was a small problem. No one was around at 5:30. We did manage to contact the same town car driver who took us to Disneyland.
He charged us $40 for a 12 mile ride for three people.

In conclusion, I cannot complain at all about the inexpensive room deal through Hotwire, but the lack of service and elevated costs for this and that (ie: paying for internet service, bottled water, elevated Starbucks prices...), was enough to make me not want to stay there again.

Note: this is a beautiful property from the front door, and inside the atrium lobby, but it didn't seem quite up to Hyatt's usual standards of excellence.

• Liked — The free Disneyland shuttle service and the comfort of the beds.
  • Disliked — Lack of service by hotel staff and the boosted prices for things like bottled water.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Greek first
Kent, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

This hotel was super! My husband, myself, and our 3 kids aged 15, 11 & 6 stayed here for 3 nights. Friendly staff, nice, comfortable beds (except for the double sleeper sofa). We stayed in a double Queen suite with it's own living area, two tv's, a desk and a nice bathroom. It is convenient to a Target, a mini mart and a few restaurants. The Pizza Hut Express downstairs and Starbucks were very convenient. There is a microwave and mini refrig. in the room too which is nice.

The hotel has it's own shuttle to Disneyland which runs every 30 minutes and only makes 1 stop at the Crowne Plaza across the street. It's nice, because you get picked up first, so there is more available seats on the bus. Internet in the room costs you $9.95 per 24 hrs. not too bad. Most of our time was spent at Disneyland and California Adventure, but it was nice to come back to a beautiful and comfortable room at night.

If you want to save some $, the only thing I'd recommend is to stop at the mini mart or Target at some point and buy some light snacks and bottles of H20 to take with you to the parks and have in your room for the kids vs. paying $2.75 per bottle at Disney or from the machines in the hotel. A light jacket for everyone is definitely needed at night this time of year, so bring a backpack.

• Liked — Beautiful, clean, safe, conveniently located.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

My family of 4 just stayed here for 5 nights. We had a great stay, beds are awesome, rooms always cleaned promptly. Yes the parking is pricey, but I didn't mind all that much. The valet guys are great, helpful and very professional. The pool on the main floor is warmer than 3rd floor pool, the dinning is expensive, but ther are lots of great places near the hotel. We really loved Casa Garcia. It is in the building right behind the shoe store, right across the street on Chapman. Great Mexican food and very inexpensive. We took the shuttle to Disney, no complaints. Overall we were very happy with our stay.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

We had a great stay at the Orange County Hyatt. We booked the suite with one King bedroom with a bathroom and one Queen Queen bedroom with a bathroom. Living room in between the rooms with a fridge and micro. Perfect for a stay with kids! The room was set up in a way that everyone had their own space. Room was clean and enjoyable.

The kids enjoyed the pool areas when we had time to spend there. Disneyland was the big draw though and the hotel shuttle was an ideal way to get there!! That is a big benefit.

We were very pleased with the hotel restaurant and had a very good breakfast in the dining room. Staff very pleasant and helpful. One food related complaint - it would be nice if the hotel offered a late night menu. We came back from a full day at Disney and really could have used some good food (not the Pizza Hut takeout in the lobby but some soup or sandwiches).

Overall, we would absolutely stay here again!

• Liked — The space the room (suite) offered us for a good value
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

This was our first visit to this hotel for a last minute trip to Orange County. We booked our room through Priceline for $150 a night. When we arrived on a Friday afternoon the bellmen were falling over themselves to open the door before us, nice touch, but I would rather open my own door and pay less for parking. The valet is $17 a DAY and the self park is $15 a DAY. I normally self park, but the self parking was quite a hike, so for $2 more, I chose the valet. I have to admit it was the BEST valet service I have ever encountered. There was always someone right there to take our car and when we were ready to leave our room we would call down and our car would be waiting.

We requested a no smoking king room and received a no smoking 2 queen room. I was disappointed by this, but they claimed they didn't have anything else. We stayed on the 11th floor, usually with Priceline you're on the first few floors, so this was a pleasant surprise. Our room overlooked the pool and tennis courts. The room was very nice. The beds had feather bed toppers and nice white linens. There was a decent size work area, however the internet was $10 a day. I personally feel that if I'm going to pay $150 a night for a room, I should at least get free internet. The first night I realized I left my power cord to my computer at home and I was disappointed that the concierge couldn't even refer me to a place that I could get another one. The bathroom is too small. One tiny counter with one sink. Our room was very quite and comfortable.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant. It was nice and relaxing. We sat at the edge on watching people as we drank a bottle of wine. Great ahi tartare appetizer. The meals we had were good, the prices were in line with this type of restaurant. Not something you would want to take a whole family too, but for a couple not too bad.

I almost forgot, they have a shuttle that goes to Disneyland every 30 minutes all day.

I would LOVE to stay in this hotel again, but I won't. Until they change their parking pricing policies, I will stay else where. There are plenty of hotels in the same area as this one with free or less expensive parking.

• Liked — The hotel is centrally located and easy to get to.
  • Disliked — $17 for valet parking, $15 for self parking and $10 a day for internet connection
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I have always been treated warm and attentively by the staff. They always greet me by name.

As far as the hotel goes it is 2 towers connected by a lovely atrium with check-in and restaurants inside. The rooms are nice, with plenty of light and great beds. These are my moms favorite beds.

This hotel has a shuttle to Disneyland that runs every 1/2 hour. It is less crowded than the ART shuttle the Anaheim hotels use. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
None
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

Lovely stay with minimal hassel. The mini-suite room was clean, neat and spacious. Service is really good.

Only gripe:
A couple more restaurants would be great.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!