“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterford, MI
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

The Hyatt Regency Orange County delivers exactly what it promises...3.5 - 4 star service at reasonable prices. Located about a mile from Disneyland/California Adventure, we chose the Hyatt because they offered a family suite, which was ideal for our housing needs.

We upgraded to the VIP Family Suite which was on sale. The room was huge, over 700 square feet, offering one room with a bunk bed, full bath and flat screen television for the little ones. Our room featured a very comfortable king bed, full bath and large flat screen. While the sitting area featured a large sofa, work desk, refrigerator, microwave and another flat screen television. Since the Hyatt is nearing the end of a extensive renovation program, the room was in great shape. Room noise levels were acceptable, although at times you could hear people in adjoining rooms and door slams. The decor tended toward the bland, and I found the quality of some of the furnishings a bit on the cheap side.

Both bathrooms were good sized and clean...but nothing spectacular. Again, the decor was basic and bland, just what you would expect from a 3.5 star property. Housekeeping did a nice job during our five night stay, and addressed an issue with our in room refrigerator immediately.

The lobby area was impressive, featuring a high atrium with palm trees. The hotel bar and restaurant both sit inside the atrium, offering a great place to people watch while you enjoy your food and beverages. A gift shop and Starbucks are also located within the atrium. Again, the renovations give the Hyatt a sparkling, clean appearance. The exterior landscaping was classy and gave the hotel a very California feel.

The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool and hot tub for the North tower...other guests remarked that the South Tower pool and fitness center were also very nice. Parking was $15 dollars a day self service, access in and out was very simple. Internet access was provided...at a fee, of course.

The surrounding area offered a choice of dining options, ranging from fast food like Jack in the Box, to high end steak houses like Ruth's Chris and Mortons. A Target store is across the street. The Block at Orange (shopping/entertainment) and the Big "A" Angels stadium are both less that four miles away.

The front desk check in was very efficient and friendly...as were the staff we encountered. Finally, the free, that's right free, shuttle to Disneyland ran on schedule and was never overly crowded during our usage.

The Hyatt Orange County is the perfect hotel for families looking to visit the Mouse, or attend a Los Angeles Angels ballgame!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Thank you for providing such great feedback on the hotel! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the new VIP Family Suite, as well as the services and amenities that the hotel provides. We hope that the next time your travels bring you this way we will have the opportunity to have you back as our guests again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Greek first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I stayed for 6 nights in April with 2 kids in a 2 bed suite. It was such a comfortable stay and a very reasonable price. I was given a late checkout which really helped as my flight from LAX to Sydney was not until 10.30 pm. Service from the moment I arrived was excellent, especially the concierge and front desk. The room was lovely and spacious - with 2 bathrooms and 2 separate bedrooms one with a queen bed and another with two twins. Perfect to have some space after a long day at Disney. There is also a great desk set up for internet/computer. The room had 3 HD TV's which meant we could chill out in the evening with the news, Disney Channel and Sport for 3 different people in 3 different rooms. The room service was very good quality - I recommend the great gourmet pizzas made in a woodfire over. Hotel is still being renovated so the lifts near my room were closed, but a minor inconvenience for a great room and great service. The concierge service was excellent and just so helpful. nThe staff really care and take pride in their "new" hotel - and it really shows. Only problem were some errors on my bill and a direct charge to my credit card which I hadn't authorised and am querying. Bravo!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in one of our newly renovated suites. We appreciate you taking the time to provide such great feedback on the hotel’s services and staff, and hope that we have the opportunity to have you back as our guests again soon!
Cedar Hills, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 5 nights, in April 2010. We had booked a kids suite, but were checked into a double queen room, upon arrival. (We were given a room reserved by someone with our same last name.) Our room was promptly corrected, when we informed the front desk that we had been given the wrong room, but it was an inconvenience to drag my family up to the room - only to find out it was not what we had reserved.

The kids' suites are spacious, but not all that functional. There is no breakfast table or family seating in the room. The only chair in the room was a task chair at the computer desk, in the "adults" area. A microwave and small mini-fridge are provided, in the suites.

The general amenities that are complimentary at most hotels are NOT complimentary, here. They charge $15/day for parking, $10/day for internet access. There is no Contential breakfast served, etc. Should you want to change your room, they charge a room change fee. There is a fee charged if you request a mini-fridge (if you have not booked a suite.) The only amenity that was complimentary was the free shuttle to Disneyland - though, we found it to never be on time.

The hotel advertises children eat free, at the hotel restaurants. We found this to be true only some of the time. The OC Brewhouse does not offer discount dining for children, at any time - though their kids' menu is identical to the other restaurant located in the hotel. (They probably share the same kitchen, as they're both located in the lobby.) The Tusca Restaurant does offer 1 free children's meal for each paying adult for lunch & dinner. However, we were only given the kids' discount for breakfast 2 of the 5 days, even though we did ask our servers about the free meal offer. We were informed by one server it does not apply to the breakfast buffet - however, another server did give us the free kids’ meals with the buffet, on a different morning. (Without the discount, kids' breakfast is about $15/per child.) The inconsistency was annoying, to say the least. Also, the service we received at both restaurants was terrible! One morning, we were waited upon by the most obnoxious woman, named Jean, at the Tusca - it was, by far, the worst service we have ever received. She argued with us over which beverages we wanted to drink. We had to request additional utensils twice before she responded... and, then, she simply turned to the table next to us and asked the guests if she could steal a set from their table. (Which I could have done... but thought it would have been rude & inappropriate.) To top it off, she asked us if we remembered to leave a tip, on the bill, when she removed the check from our table (before we were finished with our meal.)

The hotel is currently being renovated. The construction did cause some noise, but the hotel did disclose the remodel, upon check-in. We stayed on the 6th floor in the North Tower, and were not bothered by the noise from our room. (However, the noise in the lobby was unavoidable.)

The hotel is clean, and nice – but I will not stay there, again. It felt like the hotel was “nickel & diming” us for every amenity, and the service provided did not justify the premium price for their accommodations.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
We truly apologize for any inconvenience and frustration that you experienced during your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about these issues, so that we may address them.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Our overall stay at the Hyatt was above average. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are clean & the staff very friendly. At the time we booked our rooms, we were told the construction had been completed. Unfortunately, that was not the case & we were woken by drilling, hammering, etc at 7am. After complaining, we were advised that the construction was not suppose to start until 9 am but it always started earlier. It was a real bummer to be woken up at 7 am after a late night at Disneyland. Even my little one asked me if I could make the hammering & drilling stop. The pool area was nice with plenty of towels but the temperature of the water was a bit cold for us. Once you did get in & warmed up it was ok but that first dive ----- yikes! Be aware that king & queen rooms do not come with a mini fridge. You have to request one for an extra fee of $25.00. We were told it would be in the room upon arrival ready & cold but it wasn't. Once the staff brought it up, it took several hours to get cold. I will say that they responded right away by bringing it up right after we called the front desk. If you have a person in your party that is in a wheel chair, be sure to make the valet desk aware so they can advise the bus driver. Otherwards, everyone rushes ahead of you & the driver doesn't offer help nor recognize the fact a disabled person needs to get on the bus. The shuttle experience was hellish at best. Unorganized chaos. Once the construction is complete I would stay again in a heart beat but until then I would stay clear until completion.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the hotel, and letting us know about the couple of issues that you had during your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the new lobby and hotel staff, and hope we have the opportunity to have you back as our guests again when the renovation is complete.
Tracy, calif
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and was highly disappointed with a few things about our stay and was impressed with others...check in was super easy and the staff was very helpful. Our room was ready when we checked in and we went right up. Upon entering the room, however, I was not impressed. We stayed in one of the kids suites. I requested one facing the atrium upon check in and the guy behind the dest told me "not a problem" when we got up there we had a lovely (i say with much sarcasm) view of the roof outside and the shopping center accross the street. I requested a room change from the front desk and they told me that they could not do that unless I paid a "room change fee" I asked to be transfered to the hotel manager and was told that one wasn't available, but that I would be contacted by one ASAP...ya I never heard from anyone. Also the room had no desk in the kids side of the room like the room description says, and to top it all off, their was pubic hairs on the floor and toilet from a previous guest...EEW! I was charged for a movie I didnt order and at check out the girl refused to take off the charges because she said that the computer said we watched the whole thing and when I called today from home to complain about that and, hopefully, get my $4.99 credited back to me, mysteriously their wasn't a manager available today eather...geez whare is the management at this hotel? I'm thinking the eather the employees cover eachother's backs or truely their management staff if always on a break...Parking is $15 a day for self parking...really? Just another nickle and dime scam from a hotel...I guess it is not enough to pay $300 a night for a hotel room to get free parking. But the pool and spa areas were nice, clean and their was plenty of towels for guests to use. The bar has a great selection of beers and food. The shuttle to Disney was on time and the drivers were very friendly. Needless-to-say I will never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your recent stay with us, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know about these issues, so that we may address them.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We enjoyed the hotel, the room was nice and the bed was cozy. The only problem we ran into was getting our a/c repaired. The day after our first night we let the guest service lady know our a/c was not working properly and if someone could look at it. She said sure and took our room info. We told her we would be gone all day. We got back around 9pm that night and it still wasn't working, very stuffy in the room. The fan part would go and go but the air coming out just was not very cool. So we called the hotel operator and they sent maintance up very quickly. He did some kind of temporary fix for the night. Someone was suppose to come back the next day. We told him we would be gone all day. No one came. We got back late again and had to call again. This time the same maint. guy came up did something again leaving the ceiling piece open for the night. We checked out the next day. The front desk clerk was very nice and apologized when we explained that the only issue with our stay was the a/c issue. If a/c was working correctly our stay would have been perfect. They did comp our parking fee which was nice since we just trying to let them know the problem still existed before they tried to put someone else up there.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the hotel. We are sorry for any inconvenience that you experienced, and appreciate you letting us know. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back as our guests again in the future.
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

First, the service at this Hyatt is terribly disappointing. We went 4 days without children's programming working on our tv, had numerous complaints, filled out the hotel survey and never heard a word in return! The children's suite is not kid friendly. The entire wall of the kid's room is glass, on the 8th floor! I don't care what kind of safety glass it may have been, it was terribly unnerving. A table and chairs would have been more useful in a kids suite rather than a work desk. Poorly designed. A couple of the bus drivers (except Jeff) were rude and unhelpful while watching me lug 2 strollers onto the bus, not offering a hand at all and then expecting a tip! Front desk employees were curt and unfriendly and I was not paying via Priceline etc as I have heard staff can be toward guests who use these sites. I expected much more from Hyatt. You couldn't pay me to stay there again. Homewood next door is much more recommended, very kid friendly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We apologize for any inconvenience and frustration that you experienced during your recent stay at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about these issues, so that we may address them.

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!