“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Francisco, CA
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The rate and proximity to Disney, plus the shuttle service, made this an okay stay. However several things made this well below other Sheratons I've stayed at.
1. The valet station was *always* unmanned. I would have to wait 5-15 minutes for someone to assist me, after going to the front desk to ask for help. Even when I had a crying baby in my arms, the front desk person had to go behind the doors 3 times to ask the valet person to hurry up and help me.

2. I chose the "going green" option at checkin. At every other Sheraton I've stayed at, this option means the sheets and towels are not changed. At this Sheraton, it means NO room service at all. So we had trash cans overflowing, no making the bed, no vacuuming the floor, etc. I'm not sure how not having someone at least make our bed contributes to "going green." The front desk did not explain this. I was also not given a choice re: points vs. $5 off coupon.

3. We ordered an on demand movie and about 10 minutes into it, it was super pixellated. So, we called the front desk and they said they would send engineering. Engineering came promptly but looked at our TV and said the issue was the TV was old and not set up for the HD movies. He offered for us to switch rooms. Since it was already 8 pm, and I had children, I declined. He said we should try to keep watching if we wanted as the pixellation would vary and may get better. He said the hotel would not charge for the movie. We watched the rest of the movie and just ignored the pixellation and finished around 9:30 and went to sleep. One hour later, the front desk called (at 10:40 pm) to tell me that we would not be charged for the movie per the engineer's instructions. Are you kidding me? You woke me and my children up to tell me this? Where is your common sense?

4. Although Starbucks coffee served in the lobby lounge, make the effort to walk to a real Starbucks. The latte drinks I ordered (two times before giving up) were very bitter and not properly made.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Well we certainly are sorry for the issues this stay; our customer service scores have improved greatly recently. We do appreciate the feedback and will work with the management team to make improvements where we can. As far as the Make a Green Choice program, it is a company standard that opting in means no service at all- that is why the 500 point exchange is so generous, as you would have to spend $500 to earn that many points otherwise.
The Sheraton team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I've stayed at this property 4 times in the last couple of years. Every time I come back it loses some of its luster, as the property is not being well maintained. The price however is usually the best around unless you are looking to stay in a motel. The walls and carpets have taken a beating and seem to need more and more help every time I come. The furniture also seems to be taking a beating, although it be fairly new; again not well maintained. The staff for the most part is excellent. I've only had one incident where the female manager didn't follow through as she stated, so other than her great staff. The staff, location, 24 hour pool, and of course price are what keeps us coming back. I have one big gripe with Sheraton, not specific to this hotel, they allow dogs of all sizes in all the hotel rooms. They do state that they have special cleaning but that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable. I don't allow pets in my home, so why would I want to sleep in a room where a pet has stayed? It creeps me out thinking about fleas and ticks. Not to mention my last visit someone would leave their two dogs in the room and leave at six in the morning and not come back till after midnight. The incessant barking left me with no sleep and would go till late at night and start again in the early morning. It was like sleeping at a kennel. Management moved us and took care of our stay and apologized stating it was a sheraton rule, but I still don't understand how Sheraton allows this. It's awful! So overall I would give this hotel an ok, in the end it's the price and the staff that makes up for the rest. If u have pet allergies stay away from sheraton completely. I prefer marriott in general, they beat sheraton hands down all the way around, but they know it and it's reflected in their prices. If u do stay here do not book a club room, the idea is there but it is seriously lacking. You get a room higher up and they have a room with a very limited breakfast and and appetizer in the evening.....it's not worth it. Save the money and eat at the restaurant which is really good.

• Stayed December 2013
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We appreciate the detailed review and will certainly make improvements where we can. And much thanks for commending the staff and service.
We are a pet friendly brand and do try to keep pet rooms on certain floors/areas. We are sorry there was an issue last visit; guests with pets (unless they don't tell us) sign a waiver that says they won't leave pets unattended in the rooms.
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here on our trip to Disneyland. The most accommodating front desk staff! I believe it was Minh and Randall who were so helpful to us with a credit card issue. My bank had put a fraud hold on my card and it made checking in so difficult. They were so helpful in working with me to get a hold of my bank and get an authorization emailed to my husband to use his debit card. They printed our flight itinerary for us as well. We stayed on the Club level and I highly recommend booking a club level rate. We loved the Club room and the unlimited water/soda available and evening snacks. The breakfast was pretty good, as well. We could see the Disney fireworks at night and our room was clean and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable. We had free internet with our club rate but found it hard to access as a guest. once in it was fine. We didn't use the pool, spa, or restaurant so can't comment on that. We used the shuttle to Disneyland and it was wonderful. We never had a problem getting there or getting back to the hotel. We loved the nearby places to eat, Red Robin, Outback and many others nearby. Loved that a Target was right across the street. If you
want a clean, quiet, hotel with the most accommodating front desk stay at this hotel. We will definitely make this our Disney go to hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
This is great to hear! We appreciate the recommendation and will certainly commend the staff.
coquitlam, bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My really enjoyed my stay at this Sheraton. Staff was so welcoming when I checked in and every time I passed by the front desk I was greeted. They have shuttle service to Disneyland which is $3 a day for each pass, but you can get a $15 a day package which includes parking, internet in room and shuttle to Disneyland. That's a great deal especially since parking is $12 anyways. Parking does fill up, but not a big deal as others on this site have stated since you get free valet if the lot is full. This hotel is the last hotel in the disneyland "strip"so you don't get the crowds which is great, and you get a huge Target across the street. The hotel and room is fairly new so it's clean and comfortable. The washroom is huge and I love how it's just a shower, no tub. There's also a liqour store across the street. Would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Terrific recommendations! Many thanks for taking the time to write about us.
The team at the Sheraton Garden Grove
San Bruno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked this hotel for 3 nights. It's not a big Sheraton hotel, more like a sister hotel. In comparison...it's like a Hilton Garden Inn- not quite the Hilton, but carries the same company name.

It's clean, but noticed carpets had some dirt stains on it in my room and in the hallways. I'm fairly picky with where I stay- I prefer rooms that have an updated look, clean bathrooms and beds look comfy. This had that, although bed was a bit stiff for my comfort. Housekeeping did a good job of tidying the room. It's a no frills kind of place, more suitable for business trips. They have two arcade games and a pool, but didn't utilize either. Their gift shop has cute Disney stuff and apparently the hotel just made the list for Disneylands good neighbor hotels. Shuttle to Disneyland is only $3. We stayed at the Hyatt a few months ago and shuttle was $7 and that hotel is closer to DL! They do drop you off in the smaller hotel shuttle zones, but it's only a few more steps from the larger hotel shuttle zones.

We were there from Wed-Sat and hotel was not busy. Restaurant on all three nights was not occupied when we would stop by to pick up dinner to eat in our room. Food was ok, prices were decent for a hotel. Parking fees were decent compared to other hotels in the area.

Overall I would recommend this place if you're looking for a simple stay.

Stayed February 2014
We appreciate the recommendations and do try to keep our fees and rates at or below our competition. And we are a Disney Good Neighbor hotel and do sell tickets here!
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My family and I stayed here a little over a week ago, and were very impressed. The moment we walked in everyone had smiles on their faces and were very welcoming. Carol at the front desk assisted us and was awesome. A few days into our stay we called down for towels and they called to make sure we got our towels, I have never stayed at a hotel before that has done that. Overall our experience at the Sheraton Garden Grove was unreal. Thank you to the staff for making it very memorable. We hope to be back there soon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chris_Halderson-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
This is great to hear! We'll certainly commend Carol and the team. Our aim is to please.
Best regards and look forward to being of service again and again.
The team at Garden Grove
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family of 5 just returned from Disneyland after staying at this hotel. On our last day, after we'd checked out, my daughter got sick on the bus, after my son had also gotten sick leaving the park. With 2 sick kids and a 7 hour car ride ahead of us, the situation was grim. The hotel staff, especially Luisa, went out of their way to help us. They let us back into our room to take a shower, even though housekeeping would need to clean the room twice and they were very understanding as the kids laid on the couches in the lobby, asking what they could do to help.

With the shuttle service convenience I'd stay at the hotel again. From the other reviews I was concerned about the shuttle service promptness but the shuttle turned out to be very prompt. Over 4 days we rode the shuttle 10 times. It was on time 9 times and 1 time it was 10 minutes late. And on the last day when my daughter puked on the shuttle, the driver was understanding.

Room Tip: I used SPG points and inquired about upgrading to a suite at check-in and was told the hotel does no...