“Hidden jewel of a hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Garden Grove
Redwood City, CA
“Hidden jewel of a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was in Anaheim on business back in October 2010. I thought I had booked a room in another Sheraton I normally stay at when the family visits Disneyland. But, to my surprise, I reserved a room at this hotel. This is a beautiful gem on the Disneyland strip.

I love a beautiful building, from the outside to the inside and this hotel was nice throughout. To be honest, I was so busy with my business conference, I did not explore all the amenities this hotel had to offer. I normally completely tour a new hotel, but I just didn't have the time during this trip. I didn't even get a chance to look at the swimming pool!

Room
My room was gorgeously decorated--I love dark-wood furniture. The room was very spacious and well kept. The bathroom was big with a nice wood/glass door. The bed was very comfortable as well.

Shuttle
I was attending a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center and it seems no hotel provides shuttle service to this venue. The shuttle, however, did go to Disneyland. If you are attending a conference at the convention center, be prepared to pay for taxi service or pack some good shoes for walking. It's a good distance from this hotel to the convention center--I had the wrong shoes!

Shopping and Restaurants
If you are there on a family vacation, this hotel is directly across the street from Target. If you are like my family, we always need to find a Target or Walmart when we go on vacation. Also, right next door are a few restaurants: Joe's Crab Shack, Red Robin, and Coco's (across the street).

I do plan to stay at this hotel again in the near future and I do recommend this hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear awdang_99,

Thank you for your great review of our Hotel !!!!! I am very pleased that you liked every aspect of your stay with us & we look forward to having you back soon. I will definitely share your comments with my team.....thanks again.

Rick B. Ross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Like I said, this is a good hotel for business trips. Room is spacious, had a large desk that would fit large laptop, etc. Room was and lobby was pretty clean.

The pros:
Clean room, large walk in shower. Parking was decent, and they waived the parking fee for us. Guests can use computers in lobby for free. Target is across the street.
The major cons:
Only a few floors, so you won't have a nice view, wherever you are. $12 a day for Internet. No fridge in rooms. Maid service only available until 4 pm. Bus ride to Disneyland was hellish! Bus was NEVER on time, and when it did finally come, bus would be so full that there was standing room only (and there is a large sign that says "no standing when bus in motion."). Bus picks up at several other hotels, and Sheraton is last. Bus drivers aren't safe drivers, so ride was always scary.

Bottom line: AVOID this hotel for Disneyland trips.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for four nights for our first Disneyland trip. Couldn't beat the price of $69 a night on Hotwire as everything around Disneyland is expensive during peak season.

Check-in was easy and they allowed us in at 1:00pm which was great. We ended up with a room with a bathtub that I assume is for ADA people, but we didn't care since we have a three year old who needed baths (it also featured two chairs by the window instead of a desk). The beds are comfy, solid TV channels, but the lack of a fridge is a bit disappointing for a nicer hotel. The carpets in the much-maligned elevator were replaced and clean; we never had to wait for an elevator as they were usually empty.

The pool is miniscule and entirely in the sun for most of the day; for little kids it's fine, but nothing great. We did eat at the hotel restaurant one night since you can get restaurant.com gift certificates for cheap to use at it. The menu was a bit sparse, but we got a few appitizers and a kids meal to hit the $35 quota.

Disneyland shuttle was great; the parking fee bites, but nearly every hotel in the vicinity charges or overcharges to include this. For $15 a day, it allowed you to park as well as take the shuttle an unlimited amount of times. Shuttles were always on time, but oddly enough we were never asked once to show the shuttle tickets that they gave us upon checking in. Some days the shuttle was strictly the Sheraton, other days it stopped by some nearby hotels as well. Please remember to tip these guys! I saw way too many instances of people never tipping even a buck. Stop being cheap, people!

Overall, this is a great value for Disneyland travelers. You can't really walk to the park unless you want to go on a long trek, but the price you save over other hotels within reasonable walking distance to the park will buy you dinner every night with the savings.

Room Tip: Hotwire or Priceline!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear AverySLC,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Hotel, Staff, Shuttle & cleanliness of the Hotel. I will definitely share these comments with my team & hope to see you back soon.

San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Sheraton Garden Grove. If you are going to Disneyland, I would recommend the Sheraton Anaheim.

This is a very decent hotel, lobby is nice and modern and the restaurant is a good value. Doesn't seem like being a Gold SPG member gets you anything at this hotel. Room was not upgraded, no club access, front desk refused to throw in free wifi. Really????? Since I was only in the room at night to sleep, didn't blow the experience but it's the little things that make a hotel stand out vs. others. Probably won't stay here again.

Don't quite get the parking charge, there is plenty of parking. This hotel is not close enough to Disneyland where people would park and leave their cars, and walk to Disneyland. It's over 2 miles.

Room was fine, no issues there. Did not use the pool.

In summary, this is a decent, modern Sheraton but a few little gestures would have made it a much better experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Bodarony,

I'm sory to hear about the anticipated Free Wi Fi during your stay. Unfortunately unless you are a Platinum Member & have access to the Club Lounge.....there is a charge unfortunately.

I'm happy to hear that you were impressed with the room & the rest of your stay though, we look forward to having you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I booked the hotel through priceline.com for $80 per night. The hotel is very nice on the outside. Appears to be new. Lobby and front desk staff were also very nice.

The hotel is the farthest away from Disneyland. They do offer a complimentary shuttle; however, we did not realize this until after we purchased our shuttle tickets from ART.

The room was spacious. Offers two queen size beds. Shower was small but shower head was nice. There were some stains on the carpet. The biggest issue with the room was the vent. The airconditioner vent is situated to where it blows directly in your face while you are sleeping. We all had sore throats when we woke up.

The other thing I noticed is there is no breakfast buffet. The menu items were somewhat pricey. My family ended up walking over to the Marriott Suites and had their breakfast buffet. It was excellent food and was reasonably priced.

Overall, I probably would not stay here again. It's too far away from Disney, I hated that the ac blew in my face, and I prefer the buffet selection offered by Embassy Suites and/or Marriott Suites.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Kalisa75,

I am so sorry to hear about the A/C that unfortunately blew in your face all night, this is the 1st time I've heard this complaint from a guest. I will definitely send Engineering to the room to make sure the vent is angled properly as this should not be an issue.

We typically run a Buffet in the Restaurant during Sold Out weekends to alleviate the rush, assist both the Guests & Servers in completing a quick/efficient breakfast experience as we know most guests are on their way to Disneyland in the AM. I am so sorry this was not offered during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 1030 am way earlier than our 3pm check in and they were very accommodating, the mgr Martha let us check in our room.
We decided to rent a car (last minute) and the bellman made the arrangements for us. Matt at hertz was awesome he set us up with a
convertible.
The hotel was clean and quiet. We had friends at the embassy suites half mile up the road and that hotel was so noisy.
The only thing we would suggest is the hotel not accept pets.

• Stayed July 2011
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear ES3060,

Thank you for your kind words about my Team. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us
& we look forward to having you back the next time you are in the Garden Grove/Anaheim area.

Unfortunately Starwood's Policy is that we do have to accept pets at the Hotel. Of course they must be controlled at all times & fall under certain weight restrictions. I'm sorry if this was an inconvenience during your stay.

Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I stayed here for a conference and, once again, was very pleased with the property.

First of all, the front desk was both friendly and efficient---not an easy thing to do 'in season' and at the height of the check-in hour in the hotel business. Kudos to them.

The room was a nice size, modern, clean, comfortable and included a mini-fridge,which came in handy.

One night I decided to eat dinner in the restaurant and I had the pasta pomadora ($12.95) and a glass of Cabernet ($5.00). The food was very good, the sevice was also very good as well and it was very relaxing---just what I needed that evening. Thank you so much!

Another night I came back late and decided to use their free computers in the lobby to check e-mails, etc. I went to the nearby bar and ordered a glass of wine; once again the service was terrific.

My only complaint is that one morning I came down to the computers to use them and found 4 childen playing and dancing on the platform that housed the computers. The Sheraton GG can see this from the front desk and has to be willing to step in on this sort of behavior. OTOH, I really have to ask where are the parents? Take some responsibility and control your kids.

Yes, the hotel does charge a parking fee but this is Southern California and, especially in 'high season', in tourist areas, if they don't charge they will be swamped by 'free-loaders' looking for a place to dump their car. To their credit, the Sheraton GG fee also includes valet parking so that's a plus.

Once again I was happy with my stay. I will be back and that's probably the best thing a hotel manager can hear.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
rickrosSone, General Manager at Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear #1remdog,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I will definitely share them with my Staff.

My apologies for the children that were utilizing the Link obviously without any parental supervision. As you can imagine being so close to Disneyland, we get a lot of families/kids that stay with us.

We look forward to having you back once again very soon !!!!

Rick B. Ross

Been to Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South Hotel? Share your experiences!