“Your average Marriott...” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Frederick, Maryland
“Your average Marriott...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Decent hotel - not as clean as I would have expected for a Marriott but the beds, as usual, were comfy. Hotel staff was attentive, the restaurant (breakfast) was average fare with a nice touch of the omelet station. However if you are vegan or vegetarian, the best you could do was fresh fruit. I can honestly say if I was ever in this part of the world again for a weekend, I would probably stay there. It was near enough to restaurants, and right near the university.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I booked this hotel 2 months in advance through a discount web site (a lot priceline, etc.). I reserverd a room with 2 fulls beds, to accommodate me, my spouse, and my 2 children. We arrived very late (near midnight) and when we checked in were told they only had a king size bed. When I questioned them, they said that they do NOT honor details from 3rd party web sites, even though nothing on my reservation indicated that. To add injury to insult, they said there were NO rollaway beds available. I will say the staff waswilling to bring plenty of sheets and blankets for my children to sleep on the floor. The next day rollaway beds were available, but they wanted to charge $20 per bed, even though we clearly showed 4 people on our reservation and we had prepaid 10 days. Needless to say, I did not win that battle BUT, once I started sharing how very sad it was that I would need to inform all 3rd party sites of this policy, they found a room with 2 double beds.

Further, this Marriott (as well as several others I've stayed in recently) only put in the room ONE individual coffee package = 1 cup of coffee. Trying to get one for each adult in the room per day was pulling teeth. I was getting a reputation calling the front desk each evening asking for enough coffee each day. I finally said, "can you just make a note to give us 2-4 packages each day?"

Otherwise, this hotel is great - centrally located, beautiful rooms, new features, very clean. And I will end with a postive note - several staff WERE responsive and very friendly. I am not sure if they became that way with my persistence or if they were just nicer than the others.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I liked this hotel - it had a pub, gym and pool. There is free and plentiful parking for hotel guests. The hotel interior appears to have newer carpet. The pool was open past 10pm, which is a plus. The pub/bar was friendly and inviting, not the usual stiff lobby bar or a super-fancy restaurant bar. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Martinez, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed here two days, 7.30.11 - 8.1.11, and for the price we paid using Priceline, it was an excellent deal. Extremely comfortable King bed. Very clean room; nice swimming pool. Excellent staff. Great Fitness room and swimming pool that opened at 6am which is a bonus.

My only complaint is that the Marriott chain markets their hotels as all Non-Smoking. This hotel had a smokers pit between their hotel back exit door and their pool and I had to walk through all these smokers to get to their pool each morning. I almost passed.

If I were Mr. Marriott, I would completely ban all areas from smokers. Other than that, everything was perfect.

Vince P

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles,CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here in July as part as a 10 year anniversary present for my wife. I won the hotel via Priceline for $55 a night which seems fair considering where it was at and the features that it offered. I found the hotel to be beautifully kept and well maintained with ground keepers looking after it all of the time. The room looked like your average Marriott and the air conditioner was running perfectly which was great considering the days were averaging 95+ degrees. A coffee maker could be seen in the room as well as a bottle of water that was offered for $4. The one biggest disappointment with the room was the $10 per night fee for Wifi access. I have stayed in many other Marriott branded hotels (Residence Inn, Courtyard) that include this in the room rate. Since Fullerton is a college town, every restaurant I saw including fast food offered this service. Maybe one day Marriott will get a clue from them and offer it as a service to their guests. Even the Holiday Inn a few blocks down offers this for free. If you are facing the college, try to leech of their open network that they offer to visitors. One plus I did like was the $5 certificate that they give you each night that you offer to skip housekeeping. The certificate could be used for the Restaurant or Lounge.

In the end, I would of given this hotel 4 stars, but had to drop it one for the $10 fee for Wifi access.

Pros:
Warm customer service!
$55 a night on Priceline even on weekends
Close freeway access
$5 a night certificate if you choose to skip housekeeping.

Cons:
$10 a night Wifi access. Do yourself a favor and try to access the colleges network or walk accross the street to Tully's coffee where you can use it for free.

Priceline advertised this as being in the Disneyland neighborhood. This might be a stretch as it took about 15 mins to get here from the park.

Booking through Priceline, the hotel will not give you credits toward your Marriott account.

Room Tip: If you want free wifi, ask for rooms that face the college so you can use their network.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011 via mobile

We just finished a weekend stay at this property. There pluses and minuses during our stay.

Plus - Great beds and bedding, very quiet, free parking and access to freeway.

Minus - No free Internet or breakfast. Only coffee, no tea in the room. No microwave or refrigerator. Bathroom had no ventilation.

When I requested a receipt at the end of my stay the front desk would not provide one due to the fact that I booked through priceline. I was told I had received my receipt via email when I booked.

Overall the property was fine for the price I paid. However I would not pay full price for this hotel.

Additional tip - if your room is located on the side of the hotel near cal state you can log into their guest network for free.

• Stayed June 2011
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

The rooms are quite luxurious for the price, which was discounted because I was attending a wedding. Great bedding and really nice decor as you can see in my pictures. Bathroom was also great. The free breakfast was a nice touch (but it tasted somewhat bland--and the breakfast area was quite empty.) It was not centrally located to too many shops. My only complaint was that I was awoken up at 7 am by some loud screaming next door, apparently the walls are thin and the couple didn't think anyone was listening. Let's just say, they should put more insulation in the walls. Other than that, I would definitely stay here again if I were attending any events or for business.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Fullerton Marriott at California State University? Share your experiences!