“Beautiful environment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cellar

The Cellar
Villa del Sol Shopping Center, 305 N. Harbor Blvd. (Harbor Blvd.), Fullerton, CA 92832
714-525-5682
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cellar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 329 Restaurants in Fullerton
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wilshire Blvd.
“Beautiful environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I honestly don't know why the food gets such good reviews, but I tended to go here on event days when they were very busy. It is a very sophisticated venue. Dress well and expect to be treated with respect by a very professional staff. Decorated like a stage set that will keep your mind engaged.

Visited January 2012

“Expensive!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This restaurant is haunted! Ahhh! Haha! I went their only once and I didn't like the food that much and it was very pricey! I wouldn't go again.

Visited June 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went here for a 'closed party' type of event where we had the entire main dining room to ourselves on November 2 8pm.
I cannot say enough about how excellent the food was. We had our own menu (not the normal dining menu) so I cannot comment on the normal entree's but my entire table (around 10 of us) thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The short ribs were cooked especially tender...the literally just fell onto the fork and melted in your mouth. The desert (a chocolate souffle type thing) was TO DIE FOR! The service was very good for the amount of people they had to serve. Lastly, the atmosphere...wow! I cannot wait to go back again. I will definitely be revisiting this restaurant again when I come back to the area. I really want to try more of the menu!

Visited November 2012
“MMMmmmm, good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Cellar is one of California's finest dining experiences. Ryan has done a wonderful job preserving it's reputation. We have never had a bad meal there.

Visited September 2012
Orange County CA
“A Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I've heard about and wanted to go to The Cellar for a long time, but it took a Groupon to get me to make the reservation -- and even then I almost lost the promotional value by waiting until the last week before the Groupon expired. Thank goodness for Open Table (even if the only seating time available was 8:45pm).
We read several reviews before going, which left us concerned about how we would be treated as Groupon users, as late diners, and what the food would be like. Well, I'm happy to report that our experience was just great. We found the entrance around the side of the building easily enough, were warmly welcomed by Manager Rafael and shown to the one banquette in the whole restaurant that we would have chosen: In a corner on one side, not too close to its neighbor on the other, removed, but not so far off the beaten path as to be easily ignored. We ordered from the tasting menu (with our Groupon, we were not treated as second class citizens as we had feared, but to be fair, a suspiciously large number of people at the other tables seemed to have ordered the tasting menu, too). The food was good. The first course was a choice between grilled shrimp (two, spicy-sweet and on a stick), and brie wrapped in pastry with blackberries and raspberries. I got the shrimp, which was very tasty, but my companion's brie won for quantity, and the flavor was lusious. Next, we both selected the pork belly sliders with bacon, instead of jumbo diver scallops in Morrocan spices. Although small, the pork belly was well-seasoned and melted into the thick white bread (A note to the Chef: Diners compare sizes, so when preparing these for those seated at the same table, you might try to give everyone a similar sized slice of pork).
Our third course was a lack-luster variation on a summer roll: rice paper around a tightly rolled piece of romaine lettuce. The rice paper had the texture of gelatin, and we couldn't taste the green goddess dressing that was supposed to be included, BUT the little pile of feta cheese on the side? That was delicious! I had the lobster bisque, and although I did not care for it, that's probably due to the fact that I really don't like fish, and only tried this because it is award-winning, and highly recommended by many other diners. Our final course was short ribs on macaroni, rather than the salmon (which, to judge from the empty plates near us, was pretty good). The short ribs were rich with flavor and melted in your mouth, although I did not find the macaroni very memorable. My friend, on the other hand, liked it best of the several pasta dishes we've had recently. A lemon souffle finished the meal, the lemon curd anglais adding a bright and tangy finish to our evening.
Wine was served with each course, delivered two glasses at a time, one for the current and one for the succeeding course. Not quite what one would expect at a fine dining establishment, but perhaps it made serving a little more efficient? Our waiter did explain what each wine was, and with which course each went.
Overall, this was a delightful experience. The ambiance is quietly luxurious, the food good. Our worries about being rushed since we were seated 15 minutes before closing were unfounded; in fact, our waiter, Manny, offered to refill our water glasses at 10:20pm when we were one of two parties left in the restaurant, and told us to take our time! Since the Groupon cost $55, all we had to pay that night was the cost of the souffle and the tip. This was an excellent value. While a tasting menu offers smaller portions than the regular menu, most diners will find they are satified when finished -- not stuffed, satisfied. While I would not have found this quite as good a value at the full $110 price, I look forward to returning for a special occasion and ordering off the regular menu.

• Visited October 2012