“Horrible experience from beginning to end!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center

You added Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 West Houston Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92832   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Fullerton
Santa Ana, California
“Horrible experience from beginning to end!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Horrible service from the moment you check-in to the moment you check-out. Front desk staff is extremely rude and does not know what customer service should be like. The owner and manager themselves are just as rude, wonder where they get it from? Poor management and poor quality rooms. The only elevator to the rooms does not function properly and takes about 5-10 minutes to come down, considering there is only 5 floors. Elevator stopped while my family and kids were inside for a few minutes, not a pleasant experience. Guests of this hotel don't seem very safe either. Drunk old men and women going around with their shirts off in the middle of the night cursing at people.

Rooms were dirty and housekeeping seems to not understand "Do not disturb" means do not knock and say housekeeping! Had to wake up in the morning to point out the sign to the lady who couldn't read or speak English. For the price I paid for, this room was certainly not worth it. At most, maybe a 1-star hotel. The customer service, rooms and breakfast all disgusted me. Will never return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, this hotel is the worst!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. If you'll let me know names of the employees you're referring to, I can research the matter further.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had stayed at this property 5 years ago when it was under another name. It is still one of the best choices for going to Disneyland, Universal Studios and LA tours. Cooked buffet breakfast in the mornings, free shuttes to Disneyland, and other tours available from the hotel as well. It is quiet and in a safe neighborhood, with restaurants within walking distances. The staff is exceptionally nice and helpful. Great value for the money!

Room Tip: Use your AAA Discounts!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Thank you very much for your review!
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I work for a resort in Mesa and know what to expect as a guest and whats to be expected from the staff. I feel like I got ripped off as there was nicer hotels in the area that I would have much rather stayed at.
The rooms were very dirty, small and smelled musty. The mirrors in the bathroom had huge black stains from top to bottom that were neglected and seeped into the back of the mirror. Mold and mildew were on the shower and the vanity light above the mirror had a huge amount of rust accumulated. This is where I'm supposed to take a shower!!
The breakfast was the same everyday and was of cheap quality. For $61 a night at my resort you get your room and a full breakfast buffet including a daily changing entree with real eggs, hash browns, bacon and sausage. We also have a variety of fruits and berries, bagels, danishes as well as different kinds of breads. If you eat at the HOJO your gonna get sliced potatoes, powdered eggs, tiny pancakes, cheap sausage, and breakfast rice oh and don't forget the white bread you can toast. And it will be the same every day with absolutely no variations!
I wasn't greeted at all by any of the staff during my entire stay even when I tried to maintain eye contact it was like I was a ghost. One night I went into the gift shop and the guy was sleeping I didn't wanna disturb so I left. The next night I go down again and hes on the phone too busy to help with anything. Very disturbing!
Housekeeping couldn't throw out our box of oatmeal cookies and empty 12 pack box and so it sat on the other side of our hall till we checked out. Its probably still there!
I'd have to say the best part was leaving... I never missed home so much.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your stay wasn't satisfactory. Should you ever have issues with the rooms you're in, please let our front desk know as soon as possible. Often times we can move you to a room that is to your satisfaction or take care of any issues you bring up.

The prices we charge for our hotel are very competitive compared to hotels closer to Disneyland, especially when you consider that we do offer a free, hot breakfast and a free shuttle to Disneyland. Parking at Disneyland is $14/day and many hotels next to Disneyland only offer only a more limited, continental breakfast. In addition, in Anaheim, there are often extra hidden fees, including the 17% tax rate, Resort Fees, parking fees, wireless Internet fees, etc.

Pictures of our breakfast can be found on our main website and the eggs we use are freshly cracked every morning.

The gift shop is run by an independent operator and is not managed by the hotel. I apologize on their behalf for their behavior. I'll be sure to forward your concerns to the gift shop manager.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope next time you visit, you'll see the value that we offer for this area.
Puyallup, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We were a party of 10 to included grandchildren going to Disneyland for the first time. I booked this "3-STAR" hotel through AARP Travel/Expedia. This was not even close to a 3-STAR hotel. This was perhaps the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and I am 56 years old. The rooms are small, dirty, and are in dire need of updating. The "hot breakfast" is a joke. I am disappointed with AARP and Expedia for listing this hotel as a 3-STAR, a 1 or 1.5 STAR would be more appropriate. A very horrible experience and because of this, I will NEVER stay at a Howard Johnson Hotel again..... Don't waste your hard earned money on a BAD experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from Howard Johnson Hotels......
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't to your satisfaction. Our staff tries hard to ensure you have a quality experience. If you have issues with your room, please don't hesitate to let our front desk know. If the issues cannot be resolved, we can usually move you to a different room that may alleviate any issues you're having.

Our breakfast typically consists of sausage, eggs, pancakes, Asian rice, fruit, juices, bread, and coffee.

Thank you again for your feedback.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

My family decided to book a 14 night stay at this hotel (although we only stayed 12 and spend 2 nights in Vegas). The hotel has no safes in its rooms therefore you have to hide any valuables in the room. A member of my family always takes a certain teddy on holiday with them and after 25+ holidays there has been absolutley no problems, we came back one night and was shocked to find that the teddy was not in the place we had left it that morning (Hidden in a secret compartment within a suitcase) after having the room upside down and inside we was still not able to the teddy. The following morning we went down to reception to ask if they knew anything about it, they contacted the house keeping department who checked the laundry just incase but nothing was found, the search continuted............
Later that evening we came back to the hotel to find that items of clothes had also gone missing, once again we complained to reception and all they did was inform the manager who later told us that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.
We continued and continued to search our rooms (even under the matresses) but we never found anything.
This completley ruined our holiday as the teddy had more sentimental value than anything she owns because she had it since she was 6 weeks old (over 19 years ago), although the hotel offered the refund the cost of a 1 nights stay, it was one of those items that no money could ever buy.
On another note, the breakfast was the same thing day in day out with absolutley no variety.
The hotel was much busier of a weekend, we had a massive chinese convention which lasted over a week and they was children (and adults) running riot in the hotel corridors at 3/4am (not great if you have a busy day ahead).
The hotel is in a great location and is one straight road to disney (we never used the shuttle) and has lots of shops and resturants within a really short walking distance.
Jessica who works on reception is really really helpfull and friendly....

Im not trying to put people off staying at the hotel completley but if you do PLEASE do not take any valuables with you, even if they have no money value (which believe me ours was the tattiest thing ever but VERY VERY loved and meant ALOT to us), please don't learn the had way like us!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your missing belongings. As management, we are shocked to hear about any stolen belongings as our housekeeping staff is very honest and hard working. Our housekeeping staff is also trained to minimally touch personal belongings to help prevent misplaced items.

We will be sure to contact you should any of the belongings turn up.

Should any guests be causing a disturbance, please let the front desk know and we can ask them to be quiet. It's possible that the group you saw had come in from a late flight on a bus and were checking in. Usually, there is not much extended loitering that occurs in the hallways and we do not allow any meetings to occur on property that late at night.

If silence is of concern, I would recommend getting a room in the tower building or asking specifically for a room in the corners of the building where noise will be less of an issue.

I would also like to echo Sarahhh92's comment regarding taking valued personal belongings with you out of the room. Though our staff is typically very honest (and I've never seen theft from any housekeepers happen in my 4 years in the hotel industry), it's nearly impossible, regardless of which hotel you go to, to prove that a housekeeper or staff was responsible for the theft of any belongings left in the room.

I'm sorry again about the loss of the teddy and I hope your future holidays are more enjoyable than the last.
Banning, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Couldn't wait to get back home to write this review. I know people like you and I appreciate these comments as we plan our trips. We also were very skeptical, but needed a place close by Disneyland. The price was what attracted us so we took a chance. Our stay turned out to be very pleasant and satisfying. Everything was just right but with a few minor things. We stayed for 3 nights. Service was great from the beginning, staff was very friendly. Rooms were clean. The only concern I had was the carpet. It wasn't 100% new and not sure when the last time it was deep cleaned. But it didn't bother us so much. Beds were very comfortable. My family and I slept great. My husband also enjoyed getting a nice workout in the onsite gym, although he felt the equipment was quite limited. Nothing to complain about the buffet breakfast. The selection included pancakes, eggs, sausage, potatoes, toast, juices/coffee and fried rice :) Pool was great! But no extra pool towels. Overall....we had a very good time staying there and plan on staying there again! Please give them a chance! We did and we were not disappointed!

Room Tip: Frig., microwaves,etc not in all rooms. Please ask
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear you had a great stay.

We try to deep clean the carpets on a regular basis. We have newer carpets in the Tower building and select rooms in the main building. You may be able to special request a room with newer carpets prior to check-in.

The extra pool towels can be found at the front desk upon request.

Thanks again for your review!
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We had a 10 night stay at this hotel from March 28- April 7. Loved it! We had been to the hotel when it was under a different name 2 years ago, and were pleased to see everything was still great, if not improved from then.
Checked in early and were given a great room with balcony facing the pool/courtyard. Very spacious and well maintained. Beds were comfy, although we prefer queens as to doubles. Bedding was excellent, nice douvets.
The breakfast buffet was really good, and free. You cannot beat the value.
Shuttle to Disneyland ran hourly 4 times in the AM, and 5 times in the PM, with a break between 11 and 5.
This hotel has one of the best pool areas we have stayed at. Cabanas and loungers, with many places to sit out and relax. Pool is clean and warm.
Lobby and restaurant are much more elegant than you would expect from a Howard Johnson, since they were a Wyndam originally.
Housekeeping did a great job, and room was nice and clean.
Staff was excellent. Shout out to Eden at the front desk, and Effrin one of the shuttle drivers. Such nice people, and a real asset to the hotel!

We will be back for sure, as the value of this hotel cannot be beat. Comfy rooms, free breakfast, free shuttle, and WiFi. All for about half of what you would pay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Thank you for your detailed review! I'm sure many future travelers will find it very helpful.

I'll be sure to let Eden and Efrain know about the shout outs you give them.

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Fullerton Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!