“Worst front desk experience” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #14 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Los Gatos, California
“Worst front desk experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here one night as we could not make our destination in time due to traffic. I booked through Expedia and it was around 10.30pm when we arrived, however they could not find my reservation via the confirmation number. We were asked to step aside and they would research it. Occasionally, I went back to the desk and enquired as to whether they were any nearer resolving the problem for us. I asked if we could just get in to a room, but I was told no, because I had paid a certain rate and could only get in to a certain room. I called Expedia and they seemed to think the confirmation number was legit - I got the front desk to speak to Expedia but nothing that was said seemed to be satisfactory to the hotel staff.

At midnight I went up to the desk one final time. My young son was losing it and I needed a resolution. I was told they couldn't find my reservation and I would have to pay for a room at a higher rate. So apparently, one and a half hours prior, I could have gotten in to a room, but they made me wait in the hotel lobby for 90 minutes with a young child, late at night and then charged me again for the room, plus an extra $30.

I should have gone across the street and tried to get a room elsewhere, but I kept getting assured they could fix it. At that point I just needed to lay down as we had to be up and out by 7am - I certainly begrudged giving them my money.

In the morning I was told that a manager was not on duty so I asked for someone to call me. I got a phone call from the hotel about an hour later, but they hung up before speaking to me and I heard nothing else back. This was my first experience staying at a Springhill Suites location and I would look at any other hotel chain before booking with them based on this experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
McCamey, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fresno, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I was very surprised to read your review and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at the time of arrival. I have encountered issues where 3rd party reservations have not come through to the hotel computer or they were actually booked for a different hotel, but never a situation that would require one to sit in the lobby for an hour and half to resolve the booking discrepancy. I sincerely apologize and wish that this had been brough to my attention when you stayed here in September of 2012, so I would have been able to address with the team and make sure that you were not double charged in any way by a 3rd party and direct hotel booking. Thank you for your time and if you ever return to the Fresno area I would like to personally set up a reservation for you so you can give us another try. We have upgraded so many things at our hotel over the past year since your last visit; our breakfast, our exercise room, the internet and more I would love for you to try our hotel again.

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This place is our "home away from home" and the people who work here truly make you feel like you are family! The hotel is very clean and smells wonderful. We stayed here last week and I forgot my sneakers. Amy went to the Post Office and mailed them to me!!! They go beyond what's typically expected to make you feel as comfortable as possible. We won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I really appreciate you taking the time to recognize the SpringHill Suites in Fresno on Trip Advisor. You are most definitely like family and we really appreciate you staying with us whenever you are in the Fresno area. I hope the shoes have made it home to you!
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I usually stay at the Courtyard or Residence Inn, and I have to say their room decor is really lacking. However, Springhill Suites is so colorful and upbeat. The layout of the rooms are big and so comfortable, free breakfast that is really good, compared to most other "free buffet" types. And the price was so affordable. Our room was $100 less than the Homewood Suites just across the driveway. I was so impressed. Of course, the staff was great, so accommodating and nice. I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer M, Manager at SpringHill Suites Fresno, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi Judy,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and truly appreciate your kind review.

Jennifer Mooradian
Assistant General Manager
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I travel a lot to Fresno and always look forward to staying at Springhill Suites. The staff are always professional and helpful. I love the layout of the rooms and bathroom. The breakfast is included and substantial enough to get you going. My favorite feature though is the pool and hot tub. So relaxing after driving 3 hrs from the bay area. Water is always super clean and the right temperature. Sometimes hotels fill up fast in Fresno, so make sure you get your reservations in ASAP.

Room Tip: I usually request the 3rd floor close to the pool. Quick down the stairs and don.'t have to wait...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fort Smith, AR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is your standard SpringHill Suites. It is well maintained, clean and the breakfast is good. What really sets this place apart is the staff. I stay here almost every week. The front desk staff welcomes me by name and always makes me feel like they are glad to see me. My family stayed here with me last week and the staff made them feel just as welcome, commenting that they were glad to meet them, etc. The breakfast ladies are so helpful and keep the breakfast area clean and well stocked. The beds are very comfortable and the internet works well in the lobby and in the rooms. There is a nice neighborhood next to the hotel that is a great place for a run.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Clinton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Looks like a new hotel. Clean rooms and very friendly staff. Breakfast has really improved. Lots of great things to choose from. Fresh fruit and pastries. Nice outdoor pool. And the rooms are large. Nice extras for the guests like fruit flavored water and sweet treats at night. Great stay!

• Stayed July 2013
Southington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had a comfortable stay in this hotel. The king size bed had a firm mattress and the room was clean and modern. It was very warm in Fresno and the air-conditioning in the room was very efficient and easy to control. Staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a Chilis Restaurant nearby so we didn't have to go too far for dinner. The breakfast buffet was average, like most in these hotel chains but I was disappointed that there were no bananas. My husband enjoyed the waffles. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if we are ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer M, Manager at SpringHill Suites Fresno, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to fill out this lovely review of The SpringHill Suites. Our entire staff here is happy that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that we ran out of bananas while you were here. They are definitely one of the most popular items here and I will make sure to order more of them. Thank you again!!!

Jennifer Mooradian
Assistant General Manager
The SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fresno

Been to SpringHill Suites Fresno? Share your experiences!