“Our 2nd Choice, But Even Better...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Atwater, CA
“Our 2nd Choice, But Even Better...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I had some business in Fresno and we needed to stay the night. We had stayed at another Comfort Inn in Fresno, but it was unavailable. So, we opted for the Comfort Suites River Park; excellent choice. The staff is very hospitable and helpful. There is a Manager's Reception in the evening; not a common occurance at Comfort Inns/Suites properties.

It appears to me the property is being repainted at this time; I did not confirm this by asking, but all the indications point to it.

The property is just South of River Park where there are a number of dining choices as well as shopping venues.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CSGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Steve Bolt,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great review. It is certainly a pleasure to be of service to you during your stay in Fresno. I am happy to hear that we succeeded in making your stay satisfactory and comfortable.

We would absolutely love it if you came back and stayed with us again when you come to the Fresno area. We will definitely continue to provide our brand of service and unique amenities to you and your party.

Have a great day, and thanks again for choosing the Comfort Suites Fresno River Park.

Best Regards,

Comfort Suites Fresno Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel's shortcomings are compensated by truly great people at the front desk. I rented two rooms with some special requests and the people at the desk were amazingly friendly, competent, and professional. They put up a nice managers reception with good local beer and wine. The hotel is being renovated and it needs it: the carpets and furnishings were worn, the bed clothes limp, and internet slow. The toilet leaked along the floor. I saw no signs of a "suite" in my room. While the hotel is easy to find, the last bit is through some labyrinthine parking lot roads. The neighborhood is fine. My sense is that most of the problems here are on the way to be repaired. The staff, including maids, seem to have a passion to get it right.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevator.
Dear David V,

Thank you for the review. You are correct about our staff. They are always upbeat when it comes to treating our guests. The hotel is being renovated. It is going to take care of all of the things you mentioned. Hope to see you again the next time you are in Fresno.

Kindest Regards,

The Comfort Suites Fresno Management
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'd previously stayed at this hotel and found it to be in need of new paint, carpet and furnishings. The new owner recognized the problems and has made a major investment in giving the property a needed facelift. I will definitely stay at this hotel on my next trip to Fresno.

The weakest spot is the quality of the free breakfast. After the first morning, I decided to skip the breakfast and drive one mile to Panera Bread Company for high quality food.

Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. They were remodeling on the floor we stayed on so it had a large tarp hiding where they were working which was kind of creepy but it was fine. The rooms were average. There was nothing spectacular about them but they did the job. The breakfast was very good with a large variety of food. It was also in a great location near the riverpark malls. Overall this was a good place to stay just nothing fancy which was fine with us.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Staying at hotels, even the high end ones, can be a crap shoot. I have been awakened in the dark morning hours by someone above me doing aerobics and by late night revelers that do not realize that the door to their room slams. Much of this is out of the control of hotel management and I get that. To be honest, I really do not like to complain. But sometimes it is important to say 'this needs to be fixed' and to let others know what they are in for. In the instance of this particular hotel, it is not good.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to do some upgrades to this hotel. This is a good idea and much needed. But I expect more for $100 a night.
They are painting, and they are not using fume free paint. I stay in hotels primarily to sleep and the fumes in this place are toxic.
In choosing to sleep with my window open, I sacrificed quiet and dealt with the outside noise rather than the toxicity of the air. That I was forced to choose is not acceptable.

My bathroom was dirty. The toilet had some strange yellow stain on it. This is just yucky and there is no excuse for it except poor housekeeping.
The sheets on the bed were clean but dingy and old. the white pillow case were tinged with the yellow of their age.
The room carpet had not been vacuumed. Again, clearly housekeeping is not on top of their game.
Were there other things that could have been better? Yes. The gym is small and hot and the treadmill is broken. Someone played the drums on my door at 5am. You get the picture.

When I checked out I nicely told the front desk staff about all of these things. He thanked me for my comments but never took responsibility for any of it. Was I too nice? Maybe I was. But I have worked in the service industry and I know that it is very important to let people know that you heard them and that you are sorry for the bad experience. I didn't get this type of acknowledgement.
I have stayed at several Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites hotels and my experiences have always been good. I am surprised that the corporate office has not intervened. Perhaps it is time.

I relied on Trip Advisor because, in the past, they have not let me down. This time was the exception.

Room Tip: choose a room at a different hotel
Dear S D,

Thank you for taking out the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that we missed the mark on the hotel condition as well as certain amenities. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can discuss this in further detail.

Comfort Suites Management
Sterling, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked this hotel based on the tripadvisor rating... very disappointing. It is an older property that is in the process of renovation.. Upon arrival we found what appeared to be numerous outdoor plantings being stored inside. The desk clerk was friendly and accomodating. We were placed in an upper (third) floor room as requested. The carpeting in the hallway was old, worn and dirty. Room numbers were on pieces of tape. The room had been partially renovated; paint, carpet, etc., but there was no baseboard and the transition from the carpeted area to the tile are was not complete. The was an odor from the carpet that was not overwhelming. The bathroom had also undergone some renovation but the need to repair or replace the vanity had not been done. We had a room facing the street and found the road noise quite noticable. I had the occasion to walk down the hallway on the second floor and found the carpet in the same condition as the third floor. There was also a strong odor of paint. While in the lobby, I overheard several guests telling the desk staff that they would not be staying because of odors. The breakfast was adequate. Comfort Inn/Suites took quite a hit based on this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Grampafixit,

Thank you for your review. Im sorry that we disappointed your expectations. I understand your frustrations. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can go over your concerns in better detail.

Comfort Suites Fresno Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

From the time you check in to the time you leave, everyone knows your name. Michelle, Mike, Kim (front desk staff) are great.
On average I stay at hotel two out of four weeks

Rooms are always clean and fresh

• Stayed March 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your valuable review. I am very happy to hear that your stay went well and that our staff assisted in making your stay comfortable.
We hope that we could be of service to you again in the near future. Thank you for your stay, and have a pleasant day.

Comfort Suites Management

Been to Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark? Share your experiences!