“Hotel renovation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Napa, California
“Hotel renovation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'd previously stayed at this hotel and found it to be in need of new paint, carpet and furnishings. The new owner recognized the problems and has made a major investment in giving the property a needed facelift. I will definitely stay at this hotel on my next trip to Fresno.

The weakest spot is the quality of the free breakfast. After the first morning, I decided to skip the breakfast and drive one mile to Panera Bread Company for high quality food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. They were remodeling on the floor we stayed on so it had a large tarp hiding where they were working which was kind of creepy but it was fine. The rooms were average. There was nothing spectacular about them but they did the job. The breakfast was very good with a large variety of food. It was also in a great location near the riverpark malls. Overall this was a good place to stay just nothing fancy which was fine with us.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Staying at hotels, even the high end ones, can be a crap shoot. I have been awakened in the dark morning hours by someone above me doing aerobics and by late night revelers that do not realize that the door to their room slams. Much of this is out of the control of hotel management and I get that. To be honest, I really do not like to complain. But sometimes it is important to say 'this needs to be fixed' and to let others know what they are in for. In the instance of this particular hotel, it is not good.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to do some upgrades to this hotel. This is a good idea and much needed. But I expect more for $100 a night.
They are painting, and they are not using fume free paint. I stay in hotels primarily to sleep and the fumes in this place are toxic.
In choosing to sleep with my window open, I sacrificed quiet and dealt with the outside noise rather than the toxicity of the air. That I was forced to choose is not acceptable.

My bathroom was dirty. The toilet had some strange yellow stain on it. This is just yucky and there is no excuse for it except poor housekeeping.
The sheets on the bed were clean but dingy and old. the white pillow case were tinged with the yellow of their age.
The room carpet had not been vacuumed. Again, clearly housekeeping is not on top of their game.
Were there other things that could have been better? Yes. The gym is small and hot and the treadmill is broken. Someone played the drums on my door at 5am. You get the picture.

When I checked out I nicely told the front desk staff about all of these things. He thanked me for my comments but never took responsibility for any of it. Was I too nice? Maybe I was. But I have worked in the service industry and I know that it is very important to let people know that you heard them and that you are sorry for the bad experience. I didn't get this type of acknowledgement.
I have stayed at several Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites hotels and my experiences have always been good. I am surprised that the corporate office has not intervened. Perhaps it is time.

I relied on Trip Advisor because, in the past, they have not let me down. This time was the exception.

Room Tip: choose a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CSGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear S D,

Thank you for taking out the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that we missed the mark on the hotel condition as well as certain amenities. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can discuss this in further detail.

Sterling, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked this hotel based on the tripadvisor rating... very disappointing. It is an older property that is in the process of renovation.. Upon arrival we found what appeared to be numerous outdoor plantings being stored inside. The desk clerk was friendly and accomodating. We were placed in an upper (third) floor room as requested. The carpeting in the hallway was old, worn and dirty. Room numbers were on pieces of tape. The room had been partially renovated; paint, carpet, etc., but there was no baseboard and the transition from the carpeted area to the tile are was not complete. The was an odor from the carpet that was not overwhelming. The bathroom had also undergone some renovation but the need to repair or replace the vanity had not been done. We had a room facing the street and found the road noise quite noticable. I had the occasion to walk down the hallway on the second floor and found the carpet in the same condition as the third floor. There was also a strong odor of paint. While in the lobby, I overheard several guests telling the desk staff that they would not be staying because of odors. The breakfast was adequate. Comfort Inn/Suites took quite a hit based on this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Grampafixit,

Thank you for your review. Im sorry that we disappointed your expectations. I understand your frustrations. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can go over your concerns in better detail.

Comfort Suites Fresno Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

From the time you check in to the time you leave, everyone knows your name. Michelle, Mike, Kim (front desk staff) are great.
On average I stay at hotel two out of four weeks

Rooms are always clean and fresh

• Stayed March 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your valuable review. I am very happy to hear that your stay went well and that our staff assisted in making your stay comfortable.
We hope that we could be of service to you again in the near future. Thank you for your stay, and have a pleasant day.

Redmond, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is one of the older hotels in Fresno and a bit smelly. We asked for a room on the quiet side. She told us "Because all the
rooms have double pane windows road noise is not a factor." Baloney !! As I write this review the
road noise outside is deafening. Listen check in staff: If the prepaying customer asks for a room
on the quiet side GIVE IT TO THEM !! It's a Tuesday night, the hotel is torn up with remodeling and
you're not that full. If this is a Fresno #1 on Tripadvisor, I'd hate to see a poorly rated hotel.

The breakfast consisted of powdered eggs and link sausage, cold cereal or a make your own waffle.
The store bought yogurt was probably the best part of the meal.
Stay somewhere else.
Thanx for your time.

Room Tip: If you request the top floor on the quiet side DO NOT let them talk you into anything else. When y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CSGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi Longball44,

I want to thank you for your the review. Im sorry that you were not pleased with your experience. I looked into the situation and found out that your reservation did not have a special request of being placed in a certain part of the hotel. When you arrived the guest service agent did mention to you that she would be willing to place you in the area that you wanted but there was no availability at the time. I understand that you felt we were not "full" but due to renovations many rooms were not part of our inventory. As far as breakfast, we are part of choice hotels and we follow guidelines to make sure the quality is maintained.

I hope you give us an oppurtunity to make it up to you the next time you come to Fresno. If you would like to discuss this in further detail please call 559-435-5650.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Anyone giving this hotel anything less than 4 or 5 has to be out of their mind.

Let me correct Dorvin S. The lobby was spotless, the receptionist friendly and courteos, the room perfectly cared for. I could not find any dirt balls anywhere, but I suspecgt a dirtbag when I hear one!

I got a great price with my affiliation with the Military Officers Association of the United States. The receptionist was so nice after check in and asked several times to be sure and ask her any questions we might have or any concerns.

Our room was perfect. We could not hear a sound from outside and other than people walking and talking as they went to their rooms it was a silent night.

We went out for dinner and didn't return until about 7:50. It was so nice of the Manager to tell us we could have a glass of wine even thought they were closing up the Happy Hour. We really enjoyed our wine and talking to him about philosophy of life etc. It was easy to see that he was compassionate about his role in running the hotel and that evident in carrying over to every other staff member we met.

Breakfast was fine although we sure would have loved to have coffee available in the breakfast room. The real breakfast room was being completely remodeled (3 day project) and it was understandable that there would be some problems associated with that. I remember how our kitchen remodel disrupted our lives.

This has to be the top Choice Hotel we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello NSGW,

We would like to thank you for your great review. It is always our pleasure to be of service to our awesome guests, and we are even more stoked that you return to us and that we are consistent with our service to you. We appreciate your business tremendously and will continue to strive to make sure that each time you return to us that you are taken care of.

We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for your excellent review.

Best Regards,

Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark Management

Been to Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark? Share your experiences!