“Not Good, Not Good At All” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 65 hotels in Fresno
San Francisco, California
“Not Good, Not Good At All”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Staying at hotels, even the high end ones, can be a crap shoot. I have been awakened in the dark morning hours by someone above me doing aerobics and by late night revelers that do not realize that the door to their room slams. Much of this is out of the control of hotel management and I get that. To be honest, I really do not like to complain. But sometimes it is important to say 'this needs to be fixed' and to let others know what they are in for. In the instance of this particular hotel, it is not good.

Yes, it looks like they are trying to do some upgrades to this hotel. This is a good idea and much needed. But I expect more for $100 a night.
They are painting, and they are not using fume free paint. I stay in hotels primarily to sleep and the fumes in this place are toxic.
In choosing to sleep with my window open, I sacrificed quiet and dealt with the outside noise rather than the toxicity of the air. That I was forced to choose is not acceptable.

My bathroom was dirty. The toilet had some strange yellow stain on it. This is just yucky and there is no excuse for it except poor housekeeping.
The sheets on the bed were clean but dingy and old. the white pillow case were tinged with the yellow of their age.
The room carpet had not been vacuumed. Again, clearly housekeeping is not on top of their game.
Were there other things that could have been better? Yes. The gym is small and hot and the treadmill is broken. Someone played the drums on my door at 5am. You get the picture.

When I checked out I nicely told the front desk staff about all of these things. He thanked me for my comments but never took responsibility for any of it. Was I too nice? Maybe I was. But I have worked in the service industry and I know that it is very important to let people know that you heard them and that you are sorry for the bad experience. I didn't get this type of acknowledgement.
I have stayed at several Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites hotels and my experiences have always been good. I am surprised that the corporate office has not intervened. Perhaps it is time.

I relied on Trip Advisor because, in the past, they have not let me down. This time was the exception.

Room Tip: choose a room at a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CSGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear S D,

Thank you for taking out the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that we missed the mark on the hotel condition as well as certain amenities. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can discuss this in further detail.

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Sterling, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked this hotel based on the tripadvisor rating... very disappointing. It is an older property that is in the process of renovation.. Upon arrival we found what appeared to be numerous outdoor plantings being stored inside. The desk clerk was friendly and accomodating. We were placed in an upper (third) floor room as requested. The carpeting in the hallway was old, worn and dirty. Room numbers were on pieces of tape. The room had been partially renovated; paint, carpet, etc., but there was no baseboard and the transition from the carpeted area to the tile are was not complete. The was an odor from the carpet that was not overwhelming. The bathroom had also undergone some renovation but the need to repair or replace the vanity had not been done. We had a room facing the street and found the road noise quite noticable. I had the occasion to walk down the hallway on the second floor and found the carpet in the same condition as the third floor. There was also a strong odor of paint. While in the lobby, I overheard several guests telling the desk staff that they would not be staying because of odors. The breakfast was adequate. Comfort Inn/Suites took quite a hit based on this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Grampafixit,

Thank you for your review. Im sorry that we disappointed your expectations. I understand your frustrations. Please call 559.435.5650 so we can go over your concerns in better detail.

Comfort Suites Fresno Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

From the time you check in to the time you leave, everyone knows your name. Michelle, Mike, Kim (front desk staff) are great.
On average I stay at hotel two out of four weeks

Rooms are always clean and fresh

• Stayed March 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your valuable review. I am very happy to hear that your stay went well and that our staff assisted in making your stay comfortable.
We hope that we could be of service to you again in the near future. Thank you for your stay, and have a pleasant day.

Redmond, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is one of the older hotels in Fresno and a bit smelly. We asked for a room on the quiet side. She told us "Because all the
rooms have double pane windows road noise is not a factor." Baloney !! As I write this review the
road noise outside is deafening. Listen check in staff: If the prepaying customer asks for a room
on the quiet side GIVE IT TO THEM !! It's a Tuesday night, the hotel is torn up with remodeling and
you're not that full. If this is a Fresno #1 on Tripadvisor, I'd hate to see a poorly rated hotel.

The breakfast consisted of powdered eggs and link sausage, cold cereal or a make your own waffle.
The store bought yogurt was probably the best part of the meal.
Stay somewhere else.
Thanx for your time.

Room Tip: If you request the top floor on the quiet side DO NOT let them talk you into anything else. When y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CSGM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi Longball44,

I want to thank you for your the review. Im sorry that you were not pleased with your experience. I looked into the situation and found out that your reservation did not have a special request of being placed in a certain part of the hotel. When you arrived the guest service agent did mention to you that she would be willing to place you in the area that you wanted but there was no availability at the time. I understand that you felt we were not "full" but due to renovations many rooms were not part of our inventory. As far as breakfast, we are part of choice hotels and we follow guidelines to make sure the quality is maintained.

I hope you give us an oppurtunity to make it up to you the next time you come to Fresno. If you would like to discuss this in further detail please call 559-435-5650.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Anyone giving this hotel anything less than 4 or 5 has to be out of their mind.

Let me correct Dorvin S. The lobby was spotless, the receptionist friendly and courteos, the room perfectly cared for. I could not find any dirt balls anywhere, but I suspecgt a dirtbag when I hear one!

I got a great price with my affiliation with the Military Officers Association of the United States. The receptionist was so nice after check in and asked several times to be sure and ask her any questions we might have or any concerns.

Our room was perfect. We could not hear a sound from outside and other than people walking and talking as they went to their rooms it was a silent night.

We went out for dinner and didn't return until about 7:50. It was so nice of the Manager to tell us we could have a glass of wine even thought they were closing up the Happy Hour. We really enjoyed our wine and talking to him about philosophy of life etc. It was easy to see that he was compassionate about his role in running the hotel and that evident in carrying over to every other staff member we met.

Breakfast was fine although we sure would have loved to have coffee available in the breakfast room. The real breakfast room was being completely remodeled (3 day project) and it was understandable that there would be some problems associated with that. I remember how our kitchen remodel disrupted our lives.

This has to be the top Choice Hotel we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello NSGW,

We would like to thank you for your great review. It is always our pleasure to be of service to our awesome guests, and we are even more stoked that you return to us and that we are consistent with our service to you. We appreciate your business tremendously and will continue to strive to make sure that each time you return to us that you are taken care of.

We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for your excellent review.

Best Regards,

Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Overall clean and nice. The room was large and the beds verry good. The wine and beer tasting was a verry nice extra. It allows you to meet People when you're traveling for buisness. Front desk was helpful with directions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CSGM, Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello Jorgen 1984,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great review. It is certainly a pleasure to be of service to you during your stay in Fresno. I am happy to hear that we succeeded in making your stay satisfactory and comfortable.

We would absolutely love it if you came back and stayed with us again when you come to the Fresno area. We will definitely continue to provide our brand of service and unique amenities to you and your party.

Have a great day, and thanks again for choosing the Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark.

Best Regards,

Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Has to be one of the worst places I have ever booked into. How it is rated number one on trip advisor is a travesty and a mystery The lobby was filthy, receptionist unfriendly and rude, with the bedroom equally dirty. Rugs throughout the lobby, hallways and bedroom stained and extremely dirty with dirt balls in the corners of the bedroom. Bed looked as though it had been slept in, very untidy. Had booked for three days however my wife and I checked right back out, we could not stay there, found cleaner accommodation elsewhere. Would never suggest this place to anyone

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CSGM, Manager at Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello Dorvin S,

On behalf of the entire staff and management, I would like to apologize for grossly failing to meet your expectations during your visit to Fresno. I assure you that we do not operate in that way where your room was below cleanliness standards and our service was far from exemplary. Our guests deserve the best wherever they go, especially with us, and I am very sorry that we fell below that mark.

I would love the opportunity to make it up to you somehow. Please feel free to give us a call to discuss how we can be of service to you in the future. Your business is very important to us, and I assure you that I will do all that I can to change your perspective on us. It is important to us that we continue to work hard and succeed in making our guests happy, and I know that if given another chance, we can make the positive difference for you.

Thank you for the time you have taken to write your review. We appreciate you tremendously and are hopeful for another chance to make your stay a good one. Take care.

Kindest Regards,

Everette DeVan
559-435-5650
888-493-9746

Been to Comfort Suites Fresno RiverPark? Share your experiences!