“The best staff ever” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Portage, Michigan
“The best staff ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stayed there in two rooms for 6 nights in June, 2014, overlapping with KGSC2014's stay. Even though we made the reservation through a discounter at an appealing rate and arrived about 4 am, they gave us adjacent rooms in a great location. The staff did an amazing job. Whenever we asked them something, they went out of their way to help us. They were courteous and very professional. We were amazed at the wonderful service, which is tied with a Denver hotel for the best I've ever experienced, and I've been around. It had a decent hot breakfast. I will certainly try this hotel again the next time I'm in Fresno. This is only a 3-star hotel; the rooms have no frig or frills. But the staff made it feel like 5 stars. Thanks Chandler Fox, Sabrina, Joseph Martinez and Cameron Thomas. Great job!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I checked in a on hot evening......first room was 94*, filthy and smelled like caustic chemicals....2nd room the a/c was broken....after half an hour--the front desk had one helpful, apologetic person and was jammed--placed in room where the a/c worked-but marginally. When asked what else was available, was told "we only have a few Hotwire rooms and it will cost you $85/night to upgrade." NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Patrick S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fresno-North, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Salmo99,

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed the issues with my team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. I request you to contact me at the hotel so we can discuss the problems in detail.

Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed for one night in the motel, and was very pleased with the service upon arrival. The rooms was comfortable, and the beds offered excellent sleep quality. The pool (indoor) was not welcoming and needed cleaning, and made the kids eyes flaming red. The breakfast was delightful and the staff was very attentive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear TriTrond,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am sorry you were not comfortable with our pool. The hotel is starting renovations by next month September and our goal is to make sure all areas look welcoming.

Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I enjoyed this hotel and I stayed one night. It had a wonderful and helpful staff. In fact, the clerk recommended a great restaurant for us. It's also not too far from places to shop and eat if you have a car. The room was a decent size and it had a fridge. The staff was friendly and I just had to request one on the day in the morning (as some of them have a fridge and some don't). We had a good night's rest and the hot breakfast (included) was very filling. You can also get a USA Today in the morning and a free cookie when you arrive. They also have an indoor pool but we didn't use it.This was a very good place to stay and I had no complaints.

Room Tip: Request a fridge on the morning of your stay if you need one.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The staff was extremely helpful especially Chantel Fox. I stayed 2 separate nights and she was on duty both days. The first week my room had no air conditioning and she came up within minutes to check on the problem. My last stay I could not get the air conditioner to work and she again came up within a few minutes to help me. I do think the hotel needs some refurbishing. In my last stay the airconditioning would not stop. Got very cold. Also, the bathroom faucet was broke. I'm sure I would still go back. The staff is great, good food for breakfast, a good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Northampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The positives: clean room, good breakfast, friendly staff

The negatives: when we checked in they accidentally gave us keys to a room with someone in it, SLOW elevator

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would return again if we were in the area

Stayed July 2014
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

First, just the facts then some thoughts:

* Checkin was easy and fast, customer service very good. We had a double queen room at $75/night to start.
* Noticed the room carpet had 3-4 large/long dirt streaks - let the front desk know so I wouldn't get dinged. The room carpet was pretty dirty - walking around in socks for under 5m made them black. I've stayed in an array of dingy to upscale hotels - carpets shouldn't be this dirty even for a 2* hotel.
* Room was on the 3rd floor (and it was ~100 degrees outside) and it was very hot in the hall as well as our room (82 degrees). The night manager, Joseph (who I'll call out as being very good and customer focused!) came up to adjust the thermostat and check the A/C, but even after a couple hours we were still at 79 degrees.
* Since there were no rooms to switch to that night we decided to wait it out until morning, figuring it would slowly drop overnight as it cooled outside. Hot night but dealt with it. Joseph got us switched to a new room for the next couple nights. The new room's carpet was much much cleaner as well.
* Overall rooms and halls are showing their age, ready for a rehab. The A/C units in both rooms were really loud - I'm a fairly deep sleeper and was woken up several times when they kicked on. Bathrooms were clean.
* Only the suites have an in-room fridge, regular rooms don't.
* Fitness center has a few treadmills, no weights or exercise equipment.
* Breakfast was good, and included - they had scrambled eggs both days, then sausage or bacon, french toast or potatoes. Also had prepacked muffins, danishes, as well as fruit, yogurt and the waffle maker.
* Pool is indoor, which is nice - it's not terribly big and it's pretty old, but clean enough and there's a hot tub. Towels were available.
** During the weekend, the hotel "partially" rents the pool to a private swim business. The swim manager (outside of the pool) was giving my 5y daughter old guff about swimming near the stairs because the instructor and child client were in the area. The first time I did not say anything, the second time I told the manager "they" could stay on one side and we'd stay on the other side of the small stair area (after asking if they were even staying at the hotel and her saying she rented the pool). Fortunately, the pool was empty except for another guy who was just swimming in the deeper end. What happens if the pool has more than 5 hotel guests swimming?

Overall, it's still a decent value at $75/night, but just know you get what you pay for. The hotel is older and you could get stuck with a "less clean" room. The AC units are quite loud.

The hotel renting the part of the pool seems a bit ridiculous and dumb - yes, I get that it's probably only mid-day when departing folks have checked out and incoming folks have not checked in, but it was a lousy experience for us - as a business, I would not want my clients arguing with each other. (Apparently someone else complained before me as I didn't mention it until checkout.) The shallow end was still 3 1/2 feet high so any kids under 6 *need* to be near the stairs to play/swim comfortably- having to fight over this space with someone else is obnoxious.

While this seemed to be a good price for Fresno, given the sum of the minor headaches I'd probably try a different hotel next time. That said, this could be a bad luck one-off experience. If you aren't using the pool and just need a place to crash with some good breakfast, this place is a good deal.

Room Tip: Would advise against a 3rd floor room - the hallway had to be over 85 degrees and the first room we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fresno-North? Share your experiences!