“Mediocre Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #42 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
“Mediocre Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A lot of the reviews here sum up this hotel: it's old, the breakfast is tasteless, and only half the staff is kind. I've stayed in a few hotels in Fresno, but this may have been the worst. I can't complain about the price - I got a great deal - but the fact it was allegedly more is laughable.

The air conditioning works in the room I was in, but adjusting it was a nightmare. I was overheating or freezing most of the time. Only one lamp in the room worked. When I arrived a couple hours before check in, I was able to get in early. I was pleased and figured this would be promising. The girl at the front desk was friendly and upbeat. The room was clean. However, shortly after taking a shower and putting a do-not-disturb sign on the door, housekeeping entered the room anyway when I was naked. Without knocking! When I screamed, they asked why I wasn't checked out yet. The early check in wasn't that great after all as it wasn't communicated to the housekeeping staff.

The breakfast was bland. It was nice of them to try, but cold eggs, cold sausage, bananas, and stale cereal isn't really worth the trek down in the morning — especially since each building seems to be it's own separate entity.

The icing on the cake was being bit by something on my final nights there. When I mentioned it to the girl as I checked out before my very early morning flight, she completely ignored me. Either the maids let mosquitoes into the room by propping doors open, or it's got bed bugs. In either case, my comment shouldn't have been brushed off. I won't be back.

I happen to like old, vintage looking hotels so I was enamoured with the Tudor styling of the property. Too bad that the hotel feels like it hasn't been updated despite new ownership.

Verdict? Stay at your own risk. Don't expect anything fancy. Only book if you get a killer deal ($60 or less per night). Also, they may have bed bugs. Caution.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fresno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

The wife and I are visiting family in San Francisco and she and I took a road trip to Yosemite. Got out of the park late and it was already dark so we drove to Fresno to find a hotel. Looked on Kayak and found this one - picture with the nice lighting looked nice, it was a 3-Star, and the pictures of the rooms looked good too. Well, I don't know where they got those pictures. The hotel is old and outdated. Doesn't feel clean. Very dimly lit all over. The shower was pretty dirty and the whole place is in need of some remodeling. House keeping started knocking on the door at 7:50 (can they not tell who has checked out yet at the front desk and let the cleaners know not to knock on certain doors?)
In short, I spent an extra $20 because the pictures and reviews made this seem like a good place but I immediately wished I had booked a Super8 or the Ramada which was a bit cheaper than this. Wouldn't stay here again if I return to Fresno.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Kiffer:

Thank you for providing us your inputs. All comments are valuable and give us opportunities to improve our facility and services.

Our hotel was designed as an Old English Tudor structure using lots of old bricks and Oak wood on a 4-Acre parcel. We have recently purchased the hotel from receivership and have tried to renovate as much as we can without losing the original design theme. We have received many positive inputs on the structural design. Many newer hotels are very plain and are on smaller lots. We have twice the lot size and a huge courtyard for guests to roam around and enjoy the outdoor.

We will make sure that housekeeping personnel look into their assignments and clean the vacant rooms first. At times, they get mixed up. Also, we will traced back to see whom cleaned your room prior to your arrival leaving the bathroom dirty and make sure that person be retrained.

Regarding the dimmer light, we have worked with the City of Fresno and Pacific Gas and Electric and have implemented energy saver program. All incandescent bulbs have been replaced with energy saver light bulbs. They seem to be dimly lit, but only use about 1/4 of the power. We are proud to be partly of the green hotel and save the environment.

Again, thanks for your valuable review.

Hoang Tran
Vacaville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

double charged are credit card after checkout and refused refund saying they decided we checked out late and wanted to charge us more. also horrible breakfast and worse manager Minh was very rude and obnoxious .would never stay again or recommend

Room Tip: stay away go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Roger:

An investigation was conducted with the manager and learned that the group you were in should be charged 2 nights by the contract, but we only charged one night. We cleaned the rooms then by 3:11pm your group came and took shower messing up the rooms and bathrooms again. Group never informed the management or front desk of early or late check out on a fully occupied day. We couldn't rent those 9 rooms because we couldn't arrange housekeeper in-time after 4:30pm. Please inform the hotel management for early check-in or late check-out or leave early to avoid any issues or misunderstanding later.

Thanks,
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is close to Fresno State. That's really about all anyone will likely care about.

I spent only a single night there. It hasn't been updated in many many years. The upside of this is that at least my room was large - I think most of them are. It seemed clean and the bed was comfortable.

Beyond that, however, the exercise room was really substandard: well-worn interior with a couple of treadmills and exercise bikes (neither in top shape), and an all-in-one machine in the corner. No free weights, dumbbells, benches, etc. The complimentary breakfast did include some protein in addition to the cereal: about the blandest scrambled eggs I think I've ever had, and sausage that tasted leftover from a fast-food biscuit.

I got a deal online for the room, so the value equation at least was right.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel and experienced bedbugs. I woke up in the middle of the night to an itching sensation, and then found several bug bites on my arm and leg. I told the front desk and they moved us to another room, however we looked under the mattress and found a bug. This all happened at 12am. I told them we were going to switch hotels, and all they said was that they would refund our room. They offered no help in finding another hotel or compensation for this extremely inconvenient incident. I sent the hotel management a letter requesting that they pay for our room at the hotel we had to drive to in the middle of the night, and they did not respond.

I highly suggest not going to this hotel, because it has bedbugs at the moment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Krbest:

I am very sorry for the disappointed experience you had with us. We take bedbug issue seriously at our hotel. When we get a complain, We treat the room immediately and take it out of service for a long extended period of time. Once in a while guests bring bedbug to our hotel and we isolate the room immediately, so it does not spread to other rooms.

Please send me an e-mail if you need me to take further action. htran@universitysquarehoteloffresno.com

Fresno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here and in the morning i stepped out and the cleaning people came in and when i got back my sleeping pills were taken as well as my ciggarettes when i told the manager he said there is nothing he could do about it and that he didnt think they took them. Dont stay here there theiving liars!

• Stayed June 2014
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Sean:

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. I personally interviewed the housekeeping person for your room. She said she did not remove your sleeping pills or your cigarettes since she does not smoke. However, I would like to invite you to stay with us again next time you have a chance visiting Fresno and give you a 50% off on your 1st day. Please bring this offer with you during the check-in.

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!