“Close to CSU Fresno” 3 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
Boston, Massachusetts
“Close to CSU Fresno”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is close to Fresno State. That's really about all anyone will likely care about.

I spent only a single night there. It hasn't been updated in many many years. The upside of this is that at least my room was large - I think most of them are. It seemed clean and the bed was comfortable.

Beyond that, however, the exercise room was really substandard: well-worn interior with a couple of treadmills and exercise bikes (neither in top shape), and an all-in-one machine in the corner. No free weights, dumbbells, benches, etc. The complimentary breakfast did include some protein in addition to the cereal: about the blandest scrambled eggs I think I've ever had, and sausage that tasted leftover from a fast-food biscuit.

I got a deal online for the room, so the value equation at least was right.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel and experienced bedbugs. I woke up in the middle of the night to an itching sensation, and then found several bug bites on my arm and leg. I told the front desk and they moved us to another room, however we looked under the mattress and found a bug. This all happened at 12am. I told them we were going to switch hotels, and all they said was that they would refund our room. They offered no help in finding another hotel or compensation for this extremely inconvenient incident. I sent the hotel management a letter requesting that they pay for our room at the hotel we had to drive to in the middle of the night, and they did not respond.

I highly suggest not going to this hotel, because it has bedbugs at the moment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Krbest:

I am very sorry for the disappointed experience you had with us. We take bedbug issue seriously at our hotel. When we get a complain, We treat the room immediately and take it out of service for a long extended period of time. Once in a while guests bring bedbug to our hotel and we isolate the room immediately, so it does not spread to other rooms.

Please send me an e-mail if you need me to take further action. htran@universitysquarehoteloffresno.com

Fresno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed here and in the morning i stepped out and the cleaning people came in and when i got back my sleeping pills were taken as well as my ciggarettes when i told the manager he said there is nothing he could do about it and that he didnt think they took them. Dont stay here there theiving liars!

• Stayed June 2014
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Sean:

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. I personally interviewed the housekeeping person for your room. She said she did not remove your sleeping pills or your cigarettes since she does not smoke. However, I would like to invite you to stay with us again next time you have a chance visiting Fresno and give you a 50% off on your 1st day. Please bring this offer with you during the check-in.

Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My parents had stayed at this hotel for my graduation at Fresno State and experienced some problems. They immediately rated this hotel as "bad" due to low customer service and all but, they did not take into consideration that it was GRADUATION WEEKEND! Of coarse every hotel near a big event will be busy and all. Well I just stayed there yesterday and was given a discount for the unpleasant time my parents had( Not any hotel owner would do that) and well my experience was totally different. It's a nice hotel with friendly environment. The staff are really helpful as well as the owner of the place. Some people here complain how it's old and stuff but, it is CLEAN! It might not be a new hotel but it is well maintained. If you need anything the staff is there to assist at any time unless there is an event they will delay a bit but, that is reasonable. I highly recommend this place. The price is GREAT. I will be having some more meetings for the Nursing Program there and will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Gonzolo,

Thank you for leaving us a nice review. This give us a great feeling serving you and other guests better for many years to come.

Best wishes on your Nursing program!

Monterey, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've been at this Hotel many times. My wife and I just needed some down time while traveling and wound up here for memorial Day weekend. Check-in was fast and easy and the girl at the counter was very polite and good. the room appeared to be degraded form the last time I was there, but livable. There were only two towels provided and they were like sand paper towels, just awful. I tiny bar of soap, two nearly empty toilet paper rolls and signs requesting that we reuse the 'brillo' towels.

The thermostat had all the numbers worn off so I couldn't tell what degree I was setting it for. Strange. The room was replete with timers for every light. When I used the toilet, the fan and the lights would 'time-out" as if I were being granted only a certain amount of time to do use it. My wife has vision issues so I like to keep the hall light on at night so she can see when walking to the ladies room. But, could not do that in this Hotel, because the timer would cut off the light after 3 minutes. I felt like a child again.

The pool area was horrendous. The pool itself was filthy and in need of maintenance. There was green moss on all the sides indication that it required a vacuuming. the green color is normally indicative of requiring chemicals to combat organic waste. Needless to say, we didn't use the pool that hot (101 degree) day. The hot tub was adequately chlorinated but the jets only worked on one side, so the jets were more violent than inviting. Just as well that the pool area was unusable, because there were no towels provided anyway. One customer asked for towels and was told he had to go to the front desk to get it.

One of my access cards was not working on the gates and doors, so I went to the front desk to get a replacement card. The young lady there was pleasant and made me another. Before I left, an elderly Asian gentleman came charging out and was advising me on how to correctly use the card, almost finger wagging and in an accusatory manner. I politely let him know that I understood hoe to use the access card and left.

The wireless provided there (free) was decent and no problem attaching. The morning breakfast was decent also, but the room was continual crowded. perhaps providing multiple areas for food would have been better than providing too small an area to accommodate guests.

I guess we are seeing the last gasps for breath from this hotel. Sad, because it wouldn't take much to make it better.

Room Tip: Travel to a Clovis Hotel up the street for a better quality hotel. It's worth the extra money. G...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Joseph,

Thanks for providing us your comments during your last stay with us. We are very sorry that it was disappointing to you. We just took over the hotel from a receivership and are trying to do everything we can to make your stay better next time. We have renovated over 130 bath rooms, upgraded old tube TVs to flat screens with 48 HD channels, new secure gates for the parking lot, new water heaters, etc... Please give us another chance. In addition, please bring this response with you for a 50% discount to make it up to you.

Regarding the single King-size room, we provide 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash cloths, 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 conditioning shampoo, 1 lotion, 1rubber anti-skid bathtub matt, 1 cotton bath matt. We provide room service daily to replace/ replenish all towels/soap/shampoo. In addition, if a guest needs additional towels, housekeeping/front desk employees would be more than happy to bring them to you immediately. We use 100% cotton bath towel which is stronger and more expensive than the 86% cotton plus 14 % polyester fiber towel which is softer, cheaper but less absorbent to water. We wash all linen with hot water and dry them with high temperature to sanitize them. Therefore, all towels are dry and appear “hard”. The newer the towels the harder they seem to be. With your input, we will consider buying the softer towel type.

In an effort to save energy, we participated in a program launched by PG&E Electric provider that motion detector switches have been added to the bath and the entrance. If a light is turned off, all one needs to do is to wave a hand and the light would come back on.

We have talked to the pool service person to do a better job especially during hot season.

Again, thanks for your inputs. They are valuable to us.

Hoang Tran, Ownership Management
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel was recommended to me by the university as a convenient place to stay prior to my interview. I was able to get a great price on Travelocity. The hotel is definitely old, but the lobby has a certain charm. The room was enormous by modern hotel standards. The room was clean although there was evidence it could use a deep cleaning (light switches, etc). The breakfast was okay. The pool area was nice, but the jets for the hot tub were not working. My only real complaints are around security and noise level. Although you need your key card to get into the buildings and pool areas, the buildings felt really isolated. We did encounter one shady looking man hovering around the entrance to our building. We then watched him slip into the pool area when the door was opened. As far as noise level - the people in the room above us managed to keep me up and I did not feel they were inordinately loud. Just having a conversation, but I could hear them laughing loudly every so often through the ceiling.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Spazgirl:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Yes, our hotel was designed as an old English Tudor with room size about 1.5 times the newer hotel rooms. Our hotel uses lots of woods and used bricks. Many guests expressed their appreciation of the architectural style over the modern hotels and choose to stay with us on their trip to Fresno. The buildings are far apart spreading over 4 acres of land, maybe this was why you had a feeling of isolation.

I am sorry that the guests above you were loud. If we had have know, we would call them up to keep the noise under control.

Thanks so much for your business and your review. They are valuable to us.

Hoang Tran, Ownership Management