“One night stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Pleasant Hill, California
“One night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel was recommended to me by the university as a convenient place to stay prior to my interview. I was able to get a great price on Travelocity. The hotel is definitely old, but the lobby has a certain charm. The room was enormous by modern hotel standards. The room was clean although there was evidence it could use a deep cleaning (light switches, etc). The breakfast was okay. The pool area was nice, but the jets for the hot tub were not working. My only real complaints are around security and noise level. Although you need your key card to get into the buildings and pool areas, the buildings felt really isolated. We did encounter one shady looking man hovering around the entrance to our building. We then watched him slip into the pool area when the door was opened. As far as noise level - the people in the room above us managed to keep me up and I did not feel they were inordinately loud. Just having a conversation, but I could hear them laughing loudly every so often through the ceiling.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Spazgirl:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Yes, our hotel was designed as an old English Tudor with room size about 1.5 times the newer hotel rooms. Our hotel uses lots of woods and used bricks. Many guests expressed their appreciation of the architectural style over the modern hotels and choose to stay with us on their trip to Fresno. The buildings are far apart spreading over 4 acres of land, maybe this was why you had a feeling of isolation.

I am sorry that the guests above you were loud. If we had have know, we would call them up to keep the noise under control.

Thanks so much for your business and your review. They are valuable to us.

Hoang Tran, Ownership Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

When I originally made my reservations online I booked 2 rooms, a kind suite and a regular 2 doubles room. A few days later I get a call from the hotel the King suite is not available due to a computer glitch but we have a double king room reserved for you. I get there and they gave away my double king and only had 2 double rooms available. OK we had a graduation to go to in the morning so I took what ever was available. The rooms were dreary and looked dirty. The air conditioner took over an hour to cool down the room. In the middle of the night a was waken my a large bug crawling over my face, YUK!!!! I ran to the other bed and slept in the double with my husband. I would advise any one to pick another hotel, this was just not worth paying for!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Joanne:

I am so sorry for the mix-up of the rooms. We had a hectic week of Fresno State graduation. The hotel was completely full for a few days, but it was not an excuse on our part. If you happened to come back and visit the school for any reason, please inform me, so I can work out a special arrangement with you for a major discount to make it up. My e-mail address is htran@universitysquarehoteloffresno.com.

Your stay and business are important to us. We will try harder not to disappoint you and our future guests.

Stockton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed overnight here at the University Square Hotel and the room was really good for the price. They had a hot breakfast with eggs and sausage which was great. The room was clean but the mattress was a little hard, not the pillow top that I was expecting as advertised. I would stay here again if I am ever traveling through the area again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kelly,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate it every much.

I am sorry that the bed was too hard for you. You probably had a room with a new bed that we just upgraded it. If we had have known of the issue, we would be more than happy to switch you to a different room with a softer bed.

Thanks for your comment about the cleanliness of the room. We try to keep our rooms as clean as we know how. When I travel, hotel room cleanliness is my number one priority.

When you have a chance visiting Fresno State University, please come and stay with us again.

St. George, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

For $65 on Priceline, we got a very nice, modern and clean room with a comfortable king bed. (Even the tile grout was clean) The room was worth at least twice that. The front desk clerk was extremely welcoming. The breakfast was good. I loved the ambiance of the breakfast room. I'm happy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Babybizliz:

Thanks for leaving us your review. We appreciate it very much.

We are happy that your stay with us was a great experience. We also appreciate that you recommended others to stay with us as well.

Your positive feedback really gives each one of us more energy to serve you and our future guests better for many years to come.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

OK, OK, OK don't fall for the special deals on Booking.com, there is a reason that the room is heavily discounted. You walk in through the door of a seventies, concrete motel and you are confronted by a lobby that is supposed to look like a gentlemen's club but is a mite too scruffy. After a gruff welcome and check-in we were given a map to find our rooms round the back. The rooms were fine, the beds comfortable enough but it was breakfast that put the nail in the hotel's coffin. We arrived at 9:15 having been told that breakfast finished at 9:30. When we got there the waitress was beginning to clear the stuff away and told us, in no uncertain terms, that we had ten minutes to eat our breakfast. The only saving grace was that breakfast was so awful that you don't need 10 minutes to eat it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thanks for your valuable review. It's always a pleasure to read feedbacks from our wonderful guests. The theme of our hotel is the Old English Tudor style. It is built with used bricks on the outside. It does not look like a newer hotel with lots of glass and modern architecture. Thanks for a comment on the comfortable bed. Our breakfast buffet includes hot items as scramble eggs and sausages, cereals, milk, fruits, pastries, bread, bagels,... I will talk to our breakfast attendant to do a better job hosting the guests especially during the last minutes.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Well, I guess I asked for it. Located across from the campus and called "University Square Hotel," what did I expect? It was quite a distance from the highway we were traveling on so even the location wasn't particularly handy. The lobby looks like an old richly appointed library. That's where the nice part stops. The hotel is run down, the wood is scratched and dinged, the paint on the walls is smudged and dirty, the windows were dirty, the carpet was dirty. They put those clear plastic corners on the walls to protect the corners from...what? Everything was run-down and it reminded me of an old dormitory and it probably is one, to some degree. Young people (students?) came and went a lot, which is OK but the place was pretty beat up. The secure door that was supposed to only open with our room card was standing ajar when we first arrived. The bed was comfortable, there was a frig and microwave. But otherwise, the room was a stripper. We would never stay here again. The price was low but I'd rather pay more to stay in a nice, modern, clean hotel with cordial staff.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the landscaped courtyard are a little nicer because the courtyard is pretty. Secur...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Murrieta, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is not a place I personally would ever choose to stay again but there are pros and cons.
Pros - location is right opposite CSU Fresno so convenient for business there and there are shops and restaurants nearby. The shower had good pressure and water was hot. There was a flat screen TV opposite the bed with 48 channels and the sheets appeared clean. There was a fridge and when I requested one an old rather decrepit microwave was brought but at least it worked .
Cons: Staff were not particularly friendly, no warm greeting on check-in, in fact the staff member was chatting with someone behind her the whole time and didn't tell me where my room was or give me a coupon for breakfast until I asked. Room was 116 in the Brittany Building. I asked for one above the ground floor for safety reasons as a woman traveling alone but was refused with no explanation (even though there appeared to be very few people in the building. I did not like having a room with both a corridor entry and a sliding patio door in that area. Building was supposed to be locked at dark with card access, however the pizza delivery guy came knocking on my door with no warning.
The room was spacious but tired and old and smelled musty/damp. When I checked in the planters outside the sliding glass doors were full of water sitting right up against the wall if the room - probably the reason. There was a coffee pot with paper cups but no tea - bring your own. For toiletries there was one tiny shampoo/conditioner combined and a sliver of soap (bring those
too). The location of the hotel was right behind a 7-11 where at night a lot of homeless hung out - both there and in the hotel parking lot and it definitely felt seedy and not terribly safe for a single woman.
Overall it was cheap and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013
, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thanks for posting your review. Yes, our location is within walking distance to Fresno State University and nearby restaurants. We just replaced the old TVs with flat screens, 48 HD + local channels.

We will continue training the front desk staffs to warmly greet our guests at check-in, especially the new employees. We are in the process of renovating and updating our guestrooms and bathrooms. The property is fully secured with card keyed entry system. Our guest safety is our number one concern. In addition, the parking lot is now equipped with security gates. Access code can be obtained at the front desk or pull your car closed to the gate, then the front desk staff will activate the gate after verifying the car license plate. We have found many satisfying guests appreciating the newly installed gates providing them with extra security.

Thanks,

Hoang

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!