“Swervinmerv's of Mega97.9 Birthday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #41 of 65 hotels in Fresno
elk grove
“Swervinmerv's of Mega97.9 Birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our second stay at this homestyle hotel. We arrived there in the afternoon on Saturday for an overnight stay in one of their suites that is like having (2) master bedrooms with their very own refigerator,tv w/free wifi etc. Went to the Sizzler on Shaw Marvin's B-Day dinner. Came back to the hotel.
Sunday we had a all you can eat buffet breakfast compliments of the hotel.The breakfast Consisted of eggs, sausage, toast, waffles a variety of cereals danish fresh fruit and for bevarages were coffee, tea milk,orange juice. Excellent service. I would recommend them.

Room Tip: Ask for their suite it like have two (2) master bedrooms equipped with a tv wifi refrigerator, coff...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Pablo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I would agree with most of the reviews in repect to comfort of my room, upgradedTV, great pool, the breakfast, and the the courtesy given to my family. The big Plus was when they shuttled us over to the event we were going to.
I would stay there again.

In reference to the smoke and age of the building, is it old?, yes but well maintained and I did not detect any cigarette smoke in my room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ElkGrove
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

They get an A for trying but this is a rundown hotel. They have central heat and air that sends the cigarette smell from one room to the next regardless of what building. I am allergic to cigarettes and felt like I was going into anaphylaxis shock from the fumes. Thankfully, they refunded my money and I stayed at the Hilton Garden. I am still in shock that they are both rated 3 stars because the Hilton felt like the Ritz Carlton after leaving the University Square.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool are better and the ground floor rooms open up to the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brandi500, Manager at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I apologize for your experience with us regarding the smoke smell. Our hotel is 100% non smoking but we do allow guest to smoke in designated smoking area outside and in the courtyard. Guest who don't follow out nonsmoking policy are charged a fee if they smoke in the room. Once housekeeping cleans the room and reports that there was smoking we immediately break down the room and do a deep cleaning. We also put an ionizer machine in which collects all of the smoke particles in the air. We aim to please our guests throughout their stay and appreciate feedback before you leave so that we may resolve any issues immediately. I hope you return to give us an opportunity to earn your business again. If you do I will personally take care of your reservation and I will do my best to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Close to clovis it worked great. Iys right next to some great places to eat and csu Fresno. The pool is a nice shape ans comp breakfast was decent. Ice machines are brolen.which.sucked because when i was there it was 113 degree s. stay here its nice for the price
i

• Stayed July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stay at this hotel before, but this time instead of tube TV we have new flat TV with a lot of channels to watch. My kids love to stay at this hotel since it has the pool and a waffle making machine. I would stay here again in my future visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me start out by saying that the number one rated hotel in Fresno has a 4-star rating. Three others have a 4.5-star rating so this is not a garden spot for hotels. Secondly, you can stand on the front lawn and if you have a good arm, get a small rock onto the Cal State Fresno Campus. Near college campuses is not generally a good place to find superb accommodations. We have a son at Berkeley and this hotel beats anything near there or USC for that matter. That said...

We have been staying here for five years, starting when it was the Piccadilly Inn. When it was built, it was probably one of the top hotels in the country and the bones are still there. The rooms are very large, easily holding 2 queen size beds, writing desk, causal table, small refrigerator, free internet, cable, and a functional picture tube TV. The only noise problem we have had is a tour bus loading up some very excited Japanese tourists outside our window in the south parking lot. The pool is kept very clean and the outdoor hot tub works great. Breakfast is severed 6 to 9:30am and has eggs, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, sweet rolls (weak), waffles, juices, etc. Not exactly gourmet but the price is right (included). The desk staff, particularly Bob and Melissa, are very helpful and the cleaning staff is great, although the new owners are having some hiring issues in the maintance area. Things get fixed but sometimes a little slow. Can be hard to get in depending on what is happening on the campus (football, baseball, softball, and basketball arenas are easy walking distance. The Sav Mart complex is at the other end of campus and is a good hike. This week we barely got in because the state high school track and field championships were held here this week. Oh, and the beds are very comfortable and come with four big pillows for those that are pillow challenged.

Room Tip: Facing the pool on an upper floors is our preference.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atascadero, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I called to confirm my reservation with a special request. Brandi answered the phone and was so accommodating! I can't believe how she made us feel welcomed on the phone. I can't wait to meet Brandi tomorrow after we check in. The hotel has always been so accommodating during all my stays. Thank you! University Square Hotel you have a great employee. I've dealth with employees that are not quite up to par but Brandi was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!