“Smells like cigarettes” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #41 of 65 hotels in Fresno
ElkGrove
“Smells like cigarettes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

They get an A for trying but this is a rundown hotel. They have central heat and air that sends the cigarette smell from one room to the next regardless of what building. I am allergic to cigarettes and felt like I was going into anaphylaxis shock from the fumes. Thankfully, they refunded my money and I stayed at the Hilton Garden. I am still in shock that they are both rated 3 stars because the Hilton felt like the Ritz Carlton after leaving the University Square.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool are better and the ground floor rooms open up to the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brandi500, Manager at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I apologize for your experience with us regarding the smoke smell. Our hotel is 100% non smoking but we do allow guest to smoke in designated smoking area outside and in the courtyard. Guest who don't follow out nonsmoking policy are charged a fee if they smoke in the room. Once housekeeping cleans the room and reports that there was smoking we immediately break down the room and do a deep cleaning. We also put an ionizer machine in which collects all of the smoke particles in the air. We aim to please our guests throughout their stay and appreciate feedback before you leave so that we may resolve any issues immediately. I hope you return to give us an opportunity to earn your business again. If you do I will personally take care of your reservation and I will do my best to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Close to clovis it worked great. Iys right next to some great places to eat and csu Fresno. The pool is a nice shape ans comp breakfast was decent. Ice machines are brolen.which.sucked because when i was there it was 113 degree s. stay here its nice for the price
i

• Stayed July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stay at this hotel before, but this time instead of tube TV we have new flat TV with a lot of channels to watch. My kids love to stay at this hotel since it has the pool and a waffle making machine. I would stay here again in my future visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me start out by saying that the number one rated hotel in Fresno has a 4-star rating. Three others have a 4.5-star rating so this is not a garden spot for hotels. Secondly, you can stand on the front lawn and if you have a good arm, get a small rock onto the Cal State Fresno Campus. Near college campuses is not generally a good place to find superb accommodations. We have a son at Berkeley and this hotel beats anything near there or USC for that matter. That said...

We have been staying here for five years, starting when it was the Piccadilly Inn. When it was built, it was probably one of the top hotels in the country and the bones are still there. The rooms are very large, easily holding 2 queen size beds, writing desk, causal table, small refrigerator, free internet, cable, and a functional picture tube TV. The only noise problem we have had is a tour bus loading up some very excited Japanese tourists outside our window in the south parking lot. The pool is kept very clean and the outdoor hot tub works great. Breakfast is severed 6 to 9:30am and has eggs, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, sweet rolls (weak), waffles, juices, etc. Not exactly gourmet but the price is right (included). The desk staff, particularly Bob and Melissa, are very helpful and the cleaning staff is great, although the new owners are having some hiring issues in the maintance area. Things get fixed but sometimes a little slow. Can be hard to get in depending on what is happening on the campus (football, baseball, softball, and basketball arenas are easy walking distance. The Sav Mart complex is at the other end of campus and is a good hike. This week we barely got in because the state high school track and field championships were held here this week. Oh, and the beds are very comfortable and come with four big pillows for those that are pillow challenged.

Room Tip: Facing the pool on an upper floors is our preference.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atascadero, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I called to confirm my reservation with a special request. Brandi answered the phone and was so accommodating! I can't believe how she made us feel welcomed on the phone. I can't wait to meet Brandi tomorrow after we check in. The hotel has always been so accommodating during all my stays. Thank you! University Square Hotel you have a great employee. I've dealth with employees that are not quite up to par but Brandi was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
slo life
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have stayed here before. The area (1 star) surrounding the hotel is a little "shady." There is a 7-11(2 star) located next door, so one gets all types here @ this "watering hole." The hotel staff (3.5 stars) are very helpful, very friendly, very courteous. The room is large, outdated tube tv , bed was comfortable, great a/c unit, sound proof is non-existant, one can hear next door guests, or hallway guest conversations (1 star).We got this room on Priceline, as a 2.5 star hotel. $85 a nite,...NOT!

Room Tip: IF one is a Priceline fan, get a 3 star or better hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Eagle, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Apr. 6 and 7th. Hotel had a group using the hotel for a retreat or some sort of religious event over the weekend. The noise was horrible. On Saturday night we asked for a different room to get away from it. The staff at the front desk didn't even answer the first time we called, but when we did get through we were put off. He said, "it's already supposed to be stopped. Should be fine in a few minutes". It wasn't. But the real crap was it started again Sunday morning at a little past 8 am. We just came in from the pool area where we couldn't even hear ourselves talk.
Additionally, there was hair in the spa, the glass on the room was dirty. I realize there is a need for a budget hotel, but if can afford to avoid this one I would.

Room Tip: Normally I'd say the courtyard, however you should ask if they have an event going on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Leslie4961, Director of Sales at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
First of all I deeply apologize for the interruption to you during your stay with us. When I heard about what happened I went straight to the director of Catering to discuss this group and she was completely upset that they were so inconsiderate to the request of our staff to stop the music and noise, so as of now they are no longer allowed to have their events at our hotel, Arleen apologizes as well for this group, and hopes that your future stays with us are without incident. Thank you for your review it helps us help you better!

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!