“Comfortable stay, awesome complimentary breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #37 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Madison, Wisconsin
“Comfortable stay, awesome complimentary breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stay at this hotel before, but this time instead of tube TV we have new flat TV with a lot of channels to watch. My kids love to stay at this hotel since it has the pool and a waffle making machine. I would stay here again in my future visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me start out by saying that the number one rated hotel in Fresno has a 4-star rating. Three others have a 4.5-star rating so this is not a garden spot for hotels. Secondly, you can stand on the front lawn and if you have a good arm, get a small rock onto the Cal State Fresno Campus. Near college campuses is not generally a good place to find superb accommodations. We have a son at Berkeley and this hotel beats anything near there or USC for that matter. That said...

We have been staying here for five years, starting when it was the Piccadilly Inn. When it was built, it was probably one of the top hotels in the country and the bones are still there. The rooms are very large, easily holding 2 queen size beds, writing desk, causal table, small refrigerator, free internet, cable, and a functional picture tube TV. The only noise problem we have had is a tour bus loading up some very excited Japanese tourists outside our window in the south parking lot. The pool is kept very clean and the outdoor hot tub works great. Breakfast is severed 6 to 9:30am and has eggs, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, sweet rolls (weak), waffles, juices, etc. Not exactly gourmet but the price is right (included). The desk staff, particularly Bob and Melissa, are very helpful and the cleaning staff is great, although the new owners are having some hiring issues in the maintance area. Things get fixed but sometimes a little slow. Can be hard to get in depending on what is happening on the campus (football, baseball, softball, and basketball arenas are easy walking distance. The Sav Mart complex is at the other end of campus and is a good hike. This week we barely got in because the state high school track and field championships were held here this week. Oh, and the beds are very comfortable and come with four big pillows for those that are pillow challenged.

Room Tip: Facing the pool on an upper floors is our preference.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atascadero, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I called to confirm my reservation with a special request. Brandi answered the phone and was so accommodating! I can't believe how she made us feel welcomed on the phone. I can't wait to meet Brandi tomorrow after we check in. The hotel has always been so accommodating during all my stays. Thank you! University Square Hotel you have a great employee. I've dealth with employees that are not quite up to par but Brandi was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
slo life
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have stayed here before. The area (1 star) surrounding the hotel is a little "shady." There is a 7-11(2 star) located next door, so one gets all types here @ this "watering hole." The hotel staff (3.5 stars) are very helpful, very friendly, very courteous. The room is large, outdated tube tv , bed was comfortable, great a/c unit, sound proof is non-existant, one can hear next door guests, or hallway guest conversations (1 star).We got this room on Priceline, as a 2.5 star hotel. $85 a nite,...NOT!

Room Tip: IF one is a Priceline fan, get a 3 star or better hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Eagle, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Apr. 6 and 7th. Hotel had a group using the hotel for a retreat or some sort of religious event over the weekend. The noise was horrible. On Saturday night we asked for a different room to get away from it. The staff at the front desk didn't even answer the first time we called, but when we did get through we were put off. He said, "it's already supposed to be stopped. Should be fine in a few minutes". It wasn't. But the real crap was it started again Sunday morning at a little past 8 am. We just came in from the pool area where we couldn't even hear ourselves talk.
Additionally, there was hair in the spa, the glass on the room was dirty. I realize there is a need for a budget hotel, but if can afford to avoid this one I would.

Room Tip: Normally I'd say the courtyard, however you should ask if they have an event going on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Leslie4961, Director of Sales at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
First of all I deeply apologize for the interruption to you during your stay with us. When I heard about what happened I went straight to the director of Catering to discuss this group and she was completely upset that they were so inconsiderate to the request of our staff to stop the music and noise, so as of now they are no longer allowed to have their events at our hotel, Arleen apologizes as well for this group, and hopes that your future stays with us are without incident. Thank you for your review it helps us help you better!
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and I stay at the University Square Hotel over the Easter weekend. We liked it very much. The breakfast was great; however, I wished they had cut up fresh fruit. The room is big and clean. My daughters loved it so much, she felt like at home. The service was awesome, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggages like me, reserve the room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review, I love the rooms to because of their size, so glad it made you feel like home. I went ahead and gave your idea of cutting up the fruit for the morning. We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Service and staff was an absolute joke. Called front desk for an extra pillow, arrived sometime after 4 calls and 90 minutes. Staff seemed more willing to accommodate outside party that was using banquet facilities. Luckily, I pricelined room for alot less than advertised price. Still felt like I was ripped off. If possible, avoid this dump.

• Stayed March 2013
Leslie4961, Director of Sales at University Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the problem that you encountered, and I am truly sorry that we did not respond in a timely matter to your request. I spoke with the front desk staff about this issue, even though we were very busy there was no excuse to not to be able to take care of you quickly! We have changed some scheduling around so that when we are super busy we have enough staff to see to everyone's requests. I hope that as we are improving our hotel with our New Owners you will give us another chance. Thank you again!

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!