“Nice Surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #33 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Booked this place through Hotwire & was concerned about the number of negative reviews. However, the hotel turned out to be fine. This place was once part of the Picadilly chain & was renamed which may have caused some confusion in the ratings. The property is being renovated so parts did show wear. We made sure to ask for a renovated room which we found very servicible. The bed was very comfy and the room quiet. The TV was an old CRT Mitsubishi which was sub-par. The breakfast was very good with the eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. Location was great for us and there were a number of restaurants along Shaw & shopping in the vicinity. There were minor irritations like the door key reader was persnickity and the ice machine was not working. The staff however, was very accommisdating & did a great job. This turned out to be a great value for the money. Three star is apt, aslong as you get a renovated room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is an older hotel that is very clean and well maintained. The rooms are large and well appointed, the beds are very comfortable, too. The breakfast was great, it had eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, fruit, ect. It also had a full time attendant to keep things fully stocked and clean. The pool and hot tub were really nice, they also had towels and lounge chairs and umbrellas. Overall this was a great value for the Fresno area, it is very close to Savemart Arena and great food. It shares a parking lot with Black Angus and Marie Callenders. They warn to not leave valuables in your vehicle, but that is typical for most hotels, we had no problems during our stay. Overall I would definitely stay here again if in the Fresno area.

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Pros:
location next to fresno state
decent breakfast
nice pool
uncle harry's bagels
staff very courteous

Cons:
smells of smoke in some areas
parking lot can be a little loud

Overall:
Good value for the money, if you are looking for 5 star probably not for you

• Stayed May 2012
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This place is a haven when I come to Fresno for work and can't face the 3-hour drive back to Oakland. The rooms are very spacious and airy, the showers have double showerheads (!), the beds are comfortable. All business hotels should be like this.

Room Tip: I always ask for their quietest room, and they always put me on the 3rd floor at the back of the bac...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Eltham, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night in May while in transit between LA and Yosemite National Park. The property is adjacent to a diner area and near main roads so noise might have been a problem but we had a good night's sleep and with the included breakfast was OK for value. The room was large but poorly lit. Reception was slow and not over friendly but OK. Location is handy to shops and freeway. A much cheaper option than staying close to or in Yosemite if arriving or departing from the south.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I booked this through Priceline name your own price and will NEVER do that again! This hotel has not been remodeled since it opened and although it says it a non-smoking hotel, it reeks because they haven't replaced a thing in the last 40 years. TV is an old tube one, breakfast is okay, fruit, cereals, pastries. We thought we could just make the best of it n enjoy the pool, but at the pool there was a bunch of roudy, cussing, n unsupervised boys(teenagers) I saw them walking across the street with their towels I don't even think they were staying at hotel. I called the front desk n they said there was no way for them to check that out, I guess asking them for a room # or key was just too much trouble?? Needless to say, we couldn't even enjoy the pool. It is very poor supervised n has limited towels too. Wouldnt stay here again if it was free!

• Stayed July 2012
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Unfortunately we booked this room through Hotwire and what a mistake that was! I have never stayed in such a terrible hotel in my whole life. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone and would rate it zero if I had the chance!
The horrible experience started from the very beginning upon check-in. We arrived there around midnight and I waited over 5 minutes before even being acknowledged by the employees. This was completely unacceptable since there were 3 employees working the front desk and no other customers there. All 3 employees were talking to each other and looking 'busy' staring at their computers. Once I was finally called up to the counter, the older man working the desk never greeted me, thanked me for waiting, or even looked at me the WHOLE time I was checking in. I had to repeatedly ask him questions before he would even answer me and he responded with obvious annoyance that I would even dare ask him a question. He offered no information about the hotel itself or any of the ammenities either.
Our terrible experience continued when we reached our room and my family and I were all horrified at how disgusting it was. The room was incredibly hot and the air conditioner didn't even work properly. We literally had to open the windows to cool the room down enough to even sleep. If it wasn't so late at night and I didn't have young kids who were exhausted from the 5 hour drive I would have turned around immediately and gone to another hotel.
Once we had our windows open all we could hear was shreiking, laughing, and yelling from a whole bunch of drunk people whose party bus was parked in the hotel parking lot. I eventually had to call the front desk to ask them to get the people to be quiet so we could sleep or remove them from the parking lot. The younger male who answered the phone at the front desk laughed at my request and said he would see what they could do. This was incredibly frustrating since when we were checking in, we saw a security guard walk by (this should have been my first sign to get out of there and go somewhere else!!) I would have just assumed that he would have had them quiet down instead of us having to suffer through over an hour of their annoying carrying on and having to call and complain.
By far the worst part of the hotel was the state of the disgusting room. It looked like it was built back in the 70's or 80's and had NEVER been updated or renovated! This place was disgusting and I wouldn't even take a shower because I was so creeped out. I could barely get myself to use the toilet and wash my hands in the disgusting sink. The bathroom flooring was cracked, and there was mold in there. I could go on and on about the state of the room but I will spare you all the nasty details. Additionally, the hotel boasted free wi-fi but it wasn't working. I overheard a conversation from some other customers (obvious college frat boys) who mentioned that they stayed there often and the wi-fi never worked!
All in all I have never been in a more disgusting hotel and wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy! I would like my money back but unfortunately Hotwire won't do that and I don't feel like dealing with this place ever again. I can only assume that dealing with the hotel management would be the same as the service I received from the front desk staff, as the employees are often a reflection of the owners/managers.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!