“Old and ghetto” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Square Hotel

You added University Square Hotel to your Saves list
University Square Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4961 North Cedar Ave., Fresno, CA 93724 (Formerly Piccadilly Inn University)   |
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
“Old and ghetto”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I booked this through Priceline name your own price and will NEVER do that again! This hotel has not been remodeled since it opened and although it says it a non-smoking hotel, it reeks because they haven't replaced a thing in the last 40 years. TV is an old tube one, breakfast is okay, fruit, cereals, pastries. We thought we could just make the best of it n enjoy the pool, but at the pool there was a bunch of roudy, cussing, n unsupervised boys(teenagers) I saw them walking across the street with their towels I don't even think they were staying at hotel. I called the front desk n they said there was no way for them to check that out, I guess asking them for a room # or key was just too much trouble?? Needless to say, we couldn't even enjoy the pool. It is very poor supervised n has limited towels too. Wouldnt stay here again if it was free!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Unfortunately we booked this room through Hotwire and what a mistake that was! I have never stayed in such a terrible hotel in my whole life. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone and would rate it zero if I had the chance!
The horrible experience started from the very beginning upon check-in. We arrived there around midnight and I waited over 5 minutes before even being acknowledged by the employees. This was completely unacceptable since there were 3 employees working the front desk and no other customers there. All 3 employees were talking to each other and looking 'busy' staring at their computers. Once I was finally called up to the counter, the older man working the desk never greeted me, thanked me for waiting, or even looked at me the WHOLE time I was checking in. I had to repeatedly ask him questions before he would even answer me and he responded with obvious annoyance that I would even dare ask him a question. He offered no information about the hotel itself or any of the ammenities either.
Our terrible experience continued when we reached our room and my family and I were all horrified at how disgusting it was. The room was incredibly hot and the air conditioner didn't even work properly. We literally had to open the windows to cool the room down enough to even sleep. If it wasn't so late at night and I didn't have young kids who were exhausted from the 5 hour drive I would have turned around immediately and gone to another hotel.
Once we had our windows open all we could hear was shreiking, laughing, and yelling from a whole bunch of drunk people whose party bus was parked in the hotel parking lot. I eventually had to call the front desk to ask them to get the people to be quiet so we could sleep or remove them from the parking lot. The younger male who answered the phone at the front desk laughed at my request and said he would see what they could do. This was incredibly frustrating since when we were checking in, we saw a security guard walk by (this should have been my first sign to get out of there and go somewhere else!!) I would have just assumed that he would have had them quiet down instead of us having to suffer through over an hour of their annoying carrying on and having to call and complain.
By far the worst part of the hotel was the state of the disgusting room. It looked like it was built back in the 70's or 80's and had NEVER been updated or renovated! This place was disgusting and I wouldn't even take a shower because I was so creeped out. I could barely get myself to use the toilet and wash my hands in the disgusting sink. The bathroom flooring was cracked, and there was mold in there. I could go on and on about the state of the room but I will spare you all the nasty details. Additionally, the hotel boasted free wi-fi but it wasn't working. I overheard a conversation from some other customers (obvious college frat boys) who mentioned that they stayed there often and the wi-fi never worked!
All in all I have never been in a more disgusting hotel and wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy! I would like my money back but unfortunately Hotwire won't do that and I don't feel like dealing with this place ever again. I can only assume that dealing with the hotel management would be the same as the service I received from the front desk staff, as the employees are often a reflection of the owners/managers.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We booked on expedia because it was cheap and had decent reviews. The reviews are complete lies. The hotel is run down, everything looked like it had been cleaned but felt very dirty and old. Checking under the bed proved to be very dirty. The hotel is right next to some shady looking apartments and 7-11. They have a psuedo security card cruising the hotel. We tried to stay but could not. Spend a few extra bucks and go to a property closer the 41. Expedia nor the hotel returned our money but o'well best money I ever lost getting out of there. I usually do not review but felt so burned by this bait and switch place that I had to. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Monterey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Hotel is clean. Breakfast is ok, not great. Pool area is poorly supervised with kids ruling the area. Pool area needs attention towels are scarce.

Room is comfy bit not enough comfy chairs. TVs are old and not worth watching. Shower is old but good double shower heads, soft water.

Should be cheaper but location prevails.

• Stayed May 2012
Camarillo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel is walking distance to Fresno State. The kind bed was comfortable. The shower is a double head, which gives out alot of water. Besides that, nothing is very good about this hotel. It is kind of old. Breakfast is eggs, sausage, and really bad bagels on styrofoam plates. It is noisy outside. And the climate control is not reliable. Not worth the price I paid.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

The reviews of this property--under its new name and also under the old one (Picadilly) suggested that this was going to be a grim visit. But we were booked in here by others and arrived "on guard". Well, actually, it turned out to be quite okay. There is new management as of last autumn and, I think, the housekeeping has improved--at least our room on the ground floor of the Victoria building was tidy and well furnished. The carpet was old and a bit worn, but not as dismaying as the carpet that leads from the lobby past conference rooms to the entrance to the Victoria building. It simply has not been maintained or cleaned enough and had that 'dirty carpet' odor that can be cured only by new carpet. Still, the capital costs of improvement will (I expect) gradually lead to an overall improvement of the property. The bathroom was clean and towels were of good size. All in all, we had no complaints on the room. The wifi in the room worked just fine; as did the desktop computer in the lobby which has a printer attached. We were not driving, so I cannot say much about parking, but we observed no evidence of problems, and I failed to detect a lot of seedy folk doing unpleasant things in the vicinity. The 711 next door may have attracted some odd characters, but no real problems were experienced during our four night stay. The breakfast service is not super, but not bad either--hot scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon and the now familiar 'do it yourself' waffle maker. No bread for toasting, but English muffins and bagels were on offer. Orange and apple juices. Coffee was acceptable, and most mornings there was a pot of decaf--on other mornings the staff member behind the counter went and brought decaf back to our table. I did not count the tables and chairs, but when the hotel is heavily booked, the inadequacy of space is quickly apparent. Saturday morning a couple of large parties overwhelmed the facility and people had to wiait. In a piinch I would go next door (other direction) to Marie Callendars. And yes, the hours are from 6:00 am to 8:59 and 59 seconds. The staff were very efficient in clearing out the food items, although they did stay over a bit on the Saturday am rush hour. The staff were all friendly and accommodating. Some clearly are CSU Fresno students working part time, and may not be super sophisticated ind responding to complicated situations, but they sure tried, and caused us no problems at all.

So, on balance, this place is adequate and, I think, improving. A lot depends on context. If a visiting athletic team is staying or if there is a big event, eg. football game, suspect that things are louder and less well managed. But most of the time, I think the University Square is a good budget option

Room Tip: If you don't like the first one, ask for another. We didn't have to, but it is not a bad po...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I'm disgusted with the customer service. They gave me keys to a room that hadn't been cleaned even though they called 2 hours prior to say my room was ready! The front desk clerk was unusually rude and tried to placate me with her artificial apologies. Never have I been given keys to a room where it looked like someone was still staying in there. Please, don't waste your money and patience on this horrid place.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to University Square Hotel? Share your experiences!