“POOR SERVICE - room was not cleaned!” 1 of 5 stars

University Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2655 E. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93710   |
Ranked #41 of 65 hotels in Fresno
Torrance, California
“POOR SERVICE - room was not cleaned!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

To our dismay, the room was not serviced. I called the front desk and inquired about the situation and the night manager said "Sorry, we had a lot of rooms to clean." The sales manager's reply "thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we will make things right for you. I will conduct an investigation and will get back to you shortly. All I can tell you right now is that our rooms get serviced on a daily basis and "we had a lot of rooms" is not a response i'm satisfied with either." The University Inn never made it right.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for your review. Cleaning a room on a guest staying-over is a standard hotel practice. For the guests privacy, do not disturb signs are available for you to hang in the door. This means the hotel maid will not clean your room as per your request. Our hotel carries a full housekeeping staff to cover all rooms as well as a housekeeping supervisor to make sure the job is done.

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Several members of my family and I stayed over the weekend. It was rowdy, loud and not at all conducive to a good night's sleep. Then, during our last night, the toilet failed. The night manager was completely unhelpful and we had to dress and walk to the front desk to get a plunger. We were told that nothing could be done until the maintenance man arrived after 8. The maintenance man did come after 8 and he said he was on 24-hour call - completely contradicting the manager. My bigest issue is that after an extremely uncomfortable night, I was only given $12 off the bill. I was told by the person in charge that he had no authority to do more. In my opinion when your hotel room does not have a working toilet for several hours, the room should be comped. Period. He then took another $8 off the bill, so he must have had SOME authority. My group had three rooms on this trip - not one of us would EVER consider returning.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
los angeles, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

The hotel seemd ok, but both my husband and I started to have trouble breathing and our chests hurt after we had been in our room for several hours. After we went out for several hours we felt better, but the after staying overnight we felt sick again. We were all better about 4 hours after we checked out.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

There is not much to say, I stayed here for one night, arrived late and the staff was very nice. The room was ok and clean, no blood or urine stains as others mentioned before. Old and worn, yes, but I was more worried about the people who stayed there. Some were screaming all night, security came and everything went quiet all of a sudden. Though, if I had the choice, I would've stayed some place else. Breakfast deserves mentioning, as I had the entire room to myself and staff always filled up. They even had fresh fruits.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Lubbock, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was very hesistant about staying here at this hotel when i first read the reviews. I love doing my research on hotels before i stay at them. This particular place was great the staff was excellent. I left my room once or twice about 1:00 or 2:00 AM, and i walked to the liquor store behind the starbucks and didnt have any problems with anyone between going and coming. Its nice and quiet. They have an outside swimming pool. Breakfast was great. I spent alot of my time at the hotel and from my experience i didnt have any problems that i could really think of to either bother the staff or have to call police cause of trouble. Overall i would stay again and i would recommend this place to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Just got back from an overnight stay at the University Inn, gotta say I was pleasantly surprised after seeing some of the negative reviews here. I got a great rate online and it was right across the street from the Save Mart Center where we were attending a concert. Check in was smooth, room was nice and clean, AC worked great! It's a bit of an older place but they keep the grounds clean and the rooms were typical motel decor. All we needed was a clean place to crash for the night that didn't break the bank and I feel I got my moneys worth. The breakfast in the lobby was a nice way to get the day started, cereal, toast, oj and muffins. There were a few shady characters hanging out at night but that may have been a result of the concert across the street. I would have no problem staying here again if I needed to attend an event at Fresno State. The pool was well maintained, I noticed in the evening it had collected a bunch of leaves and first thing in the morning it was cleaned and the area around was being washed down. Wireless internet worked great the whole time. Being able to park at the Inn and walk across the street to the arena was a great thing, very convenient! Overall I think it's a good value.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Simi Valley, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

To start with, blood on one cheap matteress and a huge, dark urine stain on the other. The soap wrapper had old water stains on it and the door had been busted in. Who are these other people that stayed at this nasty establishment? Where are they from? This place wasn't just dirty but flat out scary. You couldn't pay me to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!