“This was a fairly decent property...” 4 of 5 stars

University Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2655 E. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93710   |
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Bakersfield, California
“This was a fairly decent property...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Like many hotels nowadays, it shows its age but the owners are staying on top of it. The room was clean; bed comfy; bathroom decent. AC and heater worked well. There wasn't a fridge or micro in the room but I don't believe hubby requested one. We were just overnighting it anyway. Fantastic pool. It was 90+ degrees when we stayed there the weekend of May 24th. They offered a breakfast which was the only downer for me. We have stayed there once before and they had WAFFLES. No waffles this time. Just cereal, bagels, toast, eggs, sausage, orange juice and coffee. I don't eat eggs and wasn't really interested in bagles or toast either so I told hubby I was going Denny's, which is about a block and a half from the hotel. He had already begun eating his eggs and sausages, but quickly gulped down a few more bites and said he was coming with me and threw the rest in the trash! LOL!

Good stay, though. Will stay again :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice with my therapy dog and their is a 100 cash deposit and room is about the same after tax. Rooms are not clean nor kept up very well especially for the $. Stayed at a roadway 2nd night for 70$ way cleaner and fuss over dog.

• Stayed May 2014
UniversityInnFresno, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your review.
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

For one night it's okay. The room was clean, a little bit old fashioned and the smell wasn't quite nice, but nothing really bad. The staff was very friendly. The location is close to restaurants and supermarket (Main Street). Also you get a 10% off when eating at the brew house (2 miles away). All in all for one night and only to sleep there - it's okay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Was here for business. Didn't really get much sleep due to noise outside. I can hear everything it seems those people were just next door. It didn't stop until 3 am had to get up @ 7 am. The room was clean but not sure about the sheets. I was scratching after. Not worth $72.!!!!! Breast fast was from a dollar store. All artificial sweeteners. You pay for what you get.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hello, thank you so much for the review. Please accept my apologies for not making your stay a better one.
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked a room for 4 nights, with two queen beds. As I was traveling with pets, I was unaware of the pet policy other than they were accepted. I did not know that the pets weight combined could not exceed 65 pounds and that it would also cost 20.00 more, per pet, for a room until I arrived at the facility. There are no options on their website for choosing a pet room, nor is there a notification of price change while I'm booking for a room. The only place I could find such information is under their terms and conditions, which I also had to search for on their website. As for the quality of our room, it was below satisfactory. On the first night I saw a live earwig in the bathtub and a dead cockroach by the toilet. And that's only the first night! During my stay I saw another live earwig, and watched it crawl under the baseboard in the bathroom, where I can only imagine dozens more may live.The second night the room was not cleaned, only the beds were made and I'm not even certain they changed the sheets. And on top of that, the mattresses had stains on them! It was by far the worst room I have ever stayed in, and I used to clean motel rooms for a living. I know what the cleaning policies and standards are for a basic room, so I know for a fact they were not cleaned as is acceptable for state laws. Disgusting. I will not stay at this place again. Don't stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for the review. I use every review to make sure I correct potential problems. I'm sorry you had a tough time locating our pet policy in our website. All major booking engines have our hotel listed as a pet friendly hotel and asks the traveller to contact the hotel for specific pet policies. As a pet owner, I understand the importance of accommodating your pet in a hotel. Weight limitations are established on pets because of potential damage to rooms. I understand many of these pets are well behaved therefore we opted for having the traveller contact us so you can tell us how we can accommodate your pet better.
Cleanliness is of upmost importance therefore I would have liked for you to contact our front desk during your stay so we can correct the issue immediately. As many of our reviews suggest, we work diligently to make sure all of our rooms are clean.
Aarau, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We booked two rooms for one night. The rooms were clean and comfortable but nothing special. It was the least expensive motel I could find that didn't look like a complete dump. The breakfast was included and met our basic needs. We used the hotel as a low cost stop over between Kings Canyon and Yosemite and it served our purpose.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the review. I use every comment to better our quality of service to guests. This is certainly not the exception and therefore we have remodelled over half of our rooms. Please be sure to ask for one on your next stay. I thank you again for the great review!
Management
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've passed this hotel many times. Their sign outside advertises at $59 special. However, that offer wasn't available when I booked (a week BEFORE our planned stay).

I requested a mini-fridge for medication, which was in the room at check-in time. But, it was hot (not plugged in) and took 24 hours to get semi-cool.

The rooms are clean and cool, which was nice on a triple-digit heat weekend.

If you want something fancy, this isn't it. If you want a cool, clean place to stay than this is a fair deal.

Room Tip: Don't trust the advertised price on outdoor sign. We couldn't get the rate, even with an ad...