“Ridiculous” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
United States
“Ridiculous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked a room for 4 nights, with two queen beds. As I was traveling with pets, I was unaware of the pet policy other than they were accepted. I did not know that the pets weight combined could not exceed 65 pounds and that it would also cost 20.00 more, per pet, for a room until I arrived at the facility. There are no options on their website for choosing a pet room, nor is there a notification of price change while I'm booking for a room. The only place I could find such information is under their terms and conditions, which I also had to search for on their website. As for the quality of our room, it was below satisfactory. On the first night I saw a live earwig in the bathtub and a dead cockroach by the toilet. And that's only the first night! During my stay I saw another live earwig, and watched it crawl under the baseboard in the bathroom, where I can only imagine dozens more may live.The second night the room was not cleaned, only the beds were made and I'm not even certain they changed the sheets. And on top of that, the mattresses had stains on them! It was by far the worst room I have ever stayed in, and I used to clean motel rooms for a living. I know what the cleaning policies and standards are for a basic room, so I know for a fact they were not cleaned as is acceptable for state laws. Disgusting. I will not stay at this place again. Don't stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for the review. I use every review to make sure I correct potential problems. I'm sorry you had a tough time locating our pet policy in our website. All major booking engines have our hotel listed as a pet friendly hotel and asks the traveller to contact the hotel for specific pet policies. As a pet owner, I understand the importance of accommodating your pet in a hotel. Weight limitations are established on pets because of potential damage to rooms. I understand many of these pets are well behaved therefore we opted for having the traveller contact us so you can tell us how we can accommodate your pet better.
Cleanliness is of upmost importance therefore I would have liked for you to contact our front desk during your stay so we can correct the issue immediately. As many of our reviews suggest, we work diligently to make sure all of our rooms are clean.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Aarau, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We booked two rooms for one night. The rooms were clean and comfortable but nothing special. It was the least expensive motel I could find that didn't look like a complete dump. The breakfast was included and met our basic needs. We used the hotel as a low cost stop over between Kings Canyon and Yosemite and it served our purpose.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the review. I use every comment to better our quality of service to guests. This is certainly not the exception and therefore we have remodelled over half of our rooms. Please be sure to ask for one on your next stay. I thank you again for the great review!
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've passed this hotel many times. Their sign outside advertises at $59 special. However, that offer wasn't available when I booked (a week BEFORE our planned stay).

I requested a mini-fridge for medication, which was in the room at check-in time. But, it was hot (not plugged in) and took 24 hours to get semi-cool.

The rooms are clean and cool, which was nice on a triple-digit heat weekend.

If you want something fancy, this isn't it. If you want a cool, clean place to stay than this is a fair deal.

Room Tip: Don't trust the advertised price on outdoor sign. We couldn't get the rate, even with an ad...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for the review. I'm sorry you could not get the advertised rate. Our managers special has a few rooms allocated at that rate. If you booked for a busy day, specially if its a concert, the allocated rooms are depleted fast.
I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel.
El Dorado Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This Motel was right across the street from Fresno University and From the SaveMart Center. Single women, Felt safe. Walk next door for a deli and A Starbucks. Easy on/off to Freeway. The rooms are all older decor and carpet older too, It really needs some freshing up but for a few day's stay while doing an event at the University and on a budget it was fine and comfy and clean enough. I did feel I should leave my flip flops on while walking on the carpet, but it did look clean enough. No frills.no Micro, no fridge, no iron, no blow dryer. Low budget Continenatal breakfast.Movie house and lot's of restraunts and mall shopping within a mile or two. Forwarned. This is a college Hotel. If you are staying on a Friday and Saturday night like we were. There could be lot's of young adult party foot traffic. We were given a handicapped room which was quiet and away from most the foot traffic. Wall Cooler went on and off with not much control all night.

Room Tip: Could be lot's of college students on Fri-Saturday night. We had a handicapped room which was in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for the response! Next time you come to Fresno ask for our newly remodeled rooms. For future reference we also have Irons and blow dryers upon request. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying at the University Inn every so often over the past 6 years. They are located close to so many things including Fresno State University. I have never had a problem with dirty rooms, unprofessional staff, random smells or anything of the sort. I have always enjoyed my stay there and plan on visiting soon! Overall it's one of my favorite places to stay in Fresno.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review. I am glad our efforts have paid off. Have you seen our newly remodeled rooms? If not, please ask for them on your next stay.
Beringen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Worst place we've ever stayed at!
The rooms smelled funny.
The carpet and chairs showed dirty stains...
The sheets were dusty en made me itchy.
I felt dirty after sleeping at this place.
The rooms were overall real dirty, and old, this place urgently needs a full make-over!!!!
Plus the service was poorly and the wifi did not work, annoying when you are on the road for one month!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your review, every comment is used to correct any problems we might have in our property. We have a 24hr maintenance staff that can help you with any problems you might have during your stay.
Regarding the internet, I personally made sure every guest has internet. Except for when our service was being upgraded two months ago for a day, the internet has not had any problems. OUr system runs on the same network that our guests use, therefore we can't operate the business if there is no internet. If you had any problems, our front desk staff will direct you to maintenance or myself during the hours of 8am - 7 pm. After those hours, maintenance can still resolve the issue by simply dialing "0".
Our room carpets get cleaned after every third stay or depending on how the previous guest left it. If its noticeably dirty, the housekeeper will report it and have it cleaned.
Sheets get changed after every guest checks out and there are no exceptions in that.
As with any hotel, please inform management if you have any problems so that we can correct the issue right away.
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Hotel was not clean. Had no shower curtain, shampoo, soap, etc... Told front desk staff about the shower curtain in the morning and they were surprised, but offered no compensation. They just said "that's too bad".

Grounds were dirty (broken glass and we even saw a razor blade)

We would not stay at this place again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank You for the review. I'm sorry the hotel was not to your satisfaction. All of our rooms have to have a shower curtain and "thats too bad" is not an appropriate response and I apologize on behalf of whoever might have said that. We work diligently everyday to make sure our hotel is properly maintained. I still appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Management

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!