“Small old, but clean Budget Motel in a convienant location,” 3 of 5 stars

University Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2655 E. Shaw Ave., Fresno, CA 93710   |
Ranked #41 of 65 hotels in Fresno
El Dorado Hills, California
“Small old, but clean Budget Motel in a convienant location,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This Motel was right across the street from Fresno University and From the SaveMart Center. Single women, Felt safe. Walk next door for a deli and A Starbucks. Easy on/off to Freeway. The rooms are all older decor and carpet older too, It really needs some freshing up but for a few day's stay while doing an event at the University and on a budget it was fine and comfy and clean enough. I did feel I should leave my flip flops on while walking on the carpet, but it did look clean enough. No frills.no Micro, no fridge, no iron, no blow dryer. Low budget Continenatal breakfast.Movie house and lot's of restraunts and mall shopping within a mile or two. Forwarned. This is a college Hotel. If you are staying on a Friday and Saturday night like we were. There could be lot's of young adult party foot traffic. We were given a handicapped room which was quiet and away from most the foot traffic. Wall Cooler went on and off with not much control all night.

Room Tip: Could be lot's of college students on Fri-Saturday night. We had a handicapped room which was in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for the response! Next time you come to Fresno ask for our newly remodeled rooms. For future reference we also have Irons and blow dryers upon request. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying at the University Inn every so often over the past 6 years. They are located close to so many things including Fresno State University. I have never had a problem with dirty rooms, unprofessional staff, random smells or anything of the sort. I have always enjoyed my stay there and plan on visiting soon! Overall it's one of my favorite places to stay in Fresno.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review. I am glad our efforts have paid off. Have you seen our newly remodeled rooms? If not, please ask for them on your next stay.
Management
Beringen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Worst place we've ever stayed at!
The rooms smelled funny.
The carpet and chairs showed dirty stains...
The sheets were dusty en made me itchy.
I felt dirty after sleeping at this place.
The rooms were overall real dirty, and old, this place urgently needs a full make-over!!!!
Plus the service was poorly and the wifi did not work, annoying when you are on the road for one month!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your review, every comment is used to correct any problems we might have in our property. We have a 24hr maintenance staff that can help you with any problems you might have during your stay.
Regarding the internet, I personally made sure every guest has internet. Except for when our service was being upgraded two months ago for a day, the internet has not had any problems. OUr system runs on the same network that our guests use, therefore we can't operate the business if there is no internet. If you had any problems, our front desk staff will direct you to maintenance or myself during the hours of 8am - 7 pm. After those hours, maintenance can still resolve the issue by simply dialing "0".
Our room carpets get cleaned after every third stay or depending on how the previous guest left it. If its noticeably dirty, the housekeeper will report it and have it cleaned.
Sheets get changed after every guest checks out and there are no exceptions in that.
As with any hotel, please inform management if you have any problems so that we can correct the issue right away.
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Hotel was not clean. Had no shower curtain, shampoo, soap, etc... Told front desk staff about the shower curtain in the morning and they were surprised, but offered no compensation. They just said "that's too bad".

Grounds were dirty (broken glass and we even saw a razor blade)

We would not stay at this place again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank You for the review. I'm sorry the hotel was not to your satisfaction. All of our rooms have to have a shower curtain and "thats too bad" is not an appropriate response and I apologize on behalf of whoever might have said that. We work diligently everyday to make sure our hotel is properly maintained. I still appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Management
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012 via mobile

NO shower curtain, loose taps and dirty!! Need I say more... Dirt on the carpet, behind the stands but towels were clean....

• Stayed March 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011 via mobile

stayed with my college~aged daughter after reading a few reviews, some good , some ...not so much. My own experience, included sitting in my car at first, considering leaving because of the dompletelly out of control "families" in the surrounding rooms . The room smelled of a bad chemical and I felt "ill" regardless of the air conditioner. I had to call 911. The phone would not dial out and the desk clerk would NOT help. After the violence abated w/ police action I wanted a relaxing shower. No amenities and I'd brought none. The next morning, the breakfast was: a selection of crumbs from flaked cereal with no sanitary way of scooping and 2 pieces of white bread- the discount loaf bag was in the tray. We went elsewhere. My experience seems consistent w/ the others' with low ratings. The high ratings seem to describe an alternative reality.

• Stayed November 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011 via mobile

Maybe it's just that the rooms are old. Everything had a strange smell.even my aunties room. When we turned on the air the smell became worst. On a secondnote here's some Advice: don't let employees stand outside the doors of the hotel smoking. Not everyone wants to smell it!

• Stayed July 2011
UniversityInnFresno, Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
I thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately from time to time, we can have guests that smoke in non smoking rooms leaving an unpleasant odor for most of our guests. When a front desk staff is informed of the situation, we will usually switch you to a room of your liking so that we may treat the problem room. It is advisable to always let a staff member know of the situation so that the problem can be corrected.
Thank you again for your business.

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!