“A stop over I should not have taken” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ashlan Inn

You added Ashlan Inn to your Saves list
Ashlan Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4278 West Ashlan Avenue, Fresno, CA 93722 (Formerly Quality Inn Fresno)   |
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Fresno
Dronfield, United Kingdom
“A stop over I should not have taken”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Decided to take a stop over in Fresno, on the way back from Yosemite and chose this hotel.
The receptionist was more officious than efficient. The room we had was overlooking the pool area, on ground level, but badly requiring refurbishment. Paper peeling off in the bathroom. The taps were very old, and did not work that well. The toiletries looked like they had been there sometime. All was ok for about 2 hours or so, until a tourist coach pulled up. Rooms on either side of our room were allocated to the group. An impromptu gathering of the tour party then took place right outside our room. They continued to talk loudly until late at night. Fortunately we switched the air con on to mask the noise. We counted the chairs the following morning, there were at least 16 and three large tables had been put together, very close to our door. We weren't sorry to leave. Did not include breakfast either, so expensive for what you got.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room by pool if a tour coach is expected!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We checked in on a Friday in Sept 2012. At first glance this establishment seemed ok. We went into the smoking room but I swear someone spread ashes into the carpet of the entire room. The first night we were there we noticed we didn't have a fridge/microwave (every other room we went into did) so we phoned the front desk. We were told we'd receive a call back. While in the room we noticed the cracked toilet that was "fixed" by applying caulk and that was still wet. In the shower there was a large square in the ceiling that was cut that looked like it could fall at any moment. The closet area has metal rods and when my BF took his grooming bag down from it 1 of the rods were loose so it hit him in his head. The main door of the room did not close easily because it wasn't aligned properly because of the weak hinges. You literally had to "man up" to make sure it was closed. All of this was mentioned when we called inquiring about the fridge/microwave. Sunday night, we discovered the toilet kept "running" so we had to shake the handle to get it to stop.

The next day we didn't hear anything back from the front desk. Granted we were gone from 7a-1a but there was no note nor VM. When we returned to the room it looked as though housekeeping never came in. The beer bottles that had 1/2" of beer, empty plastic cups with stirrers and an empty wine bottle were still on the desk. The trash can nor ashtrays were emptied.
On Sunday, I came back to an open room. I asked my BF if he didn't shut the door but he said he did. It was actually housekeeping that left the door open. The only reason I could tell housekeeping came in was because the 1 hand towel and 2 wash cloths were folding neatly in the cylinder looking display. Housekeeping didn't provide fresh bath towels on Sunday and again they didn't throw away anything empty. 3/4 of the toilet tissue was gone on Sunday and there was no replacement roll given. Monday morning we actually ran out of tissue and my BF had to shower after using the restroom because there was nothing to use. SMH

Monday morning when checking out we inquired on why we didn't receive a phone call back. We actually spoke to the G.M. Partesh Friday and he was there Monday to try to provide an answer. He told us that since the room was prepaid and we got such a good rate the fridge/microwave was going to cost an additional $15/day. Since this was going to cost us he decided not to call us. :/ Wow, really? I asked him "so you felt it right to make this financial decision for us?" Then he looked at me and said well "I forgot to call you back, I admit it...I forgot." We wanted the front desk to come back to the room to see what we had to endure and they didn't want to come and see it. We needed them to know what was wrong so the next guest wouldn't have to go through this. The G.M. Partesh asked why we didn't call the next day. He's the G.M. and I'd think he'd be the best of the best at customer service with running this "Quality Inn". Besides we were gone from 7a-1a the next day at an event. He was raising his voice at my BF saying "you couldn't change your room anyway it was a non cancel non changeable room because it was prepaid." It got so bad he actually clenched his fist and walked toward my BF.

So much more happened that I will include in my letter to corporate, but I tell you DO NOT STAY HERE!! Sleep in your car in the 7-eleven parking lot. Go pay the extra $20 per night and stay somewhere else. The pictures that they provide on their site do no look like the rooms. The people that rated this place as excellent has to be the staff writing reviews. Then again, I heard there were a few "decent" rooms on the grounds. Last but definitely not least I must say, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all and you will find a good room!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Amqui
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

In may 2012 i was there, dirty, noisy, mold, think something bad and you will find it at this hotel. Better sleep in your car !! I was unable to sleep at all. There was a bad odor from carpet, you can hear the truck from the highway all night long, peeling from the wall, Run from it !!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sonoma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We drove up and I said 'OH MY' it looks nothing like the 30 + year old pictures. I had prepaid for the room through Choice Privileges to get a good rate. What a mistake. I actually wanted to see a room before we even checked in and it was worse then I expected. The room had a dirty odor the carpets we so stained that it made it look like a patterned carpet. Old,dirty and ugly! I actually told the desk clerk that I could not stay there because I would be afraid of getting bed bugs! He told me that the room was clean and that he cleaned the rugs every 3 to 4 months! Really??!! I told him that was horrible.....I clean my rugs at my home every two months whether dirty or not! I really think it's a Hooker Hotel after seeing the other guests coming out of their rooms.......bottom line I would not even feel safe there. The desk clerk was very pleased and proud to inform us that the hotel had been remodeled in 2003, whoopee! We stayed at Holiday Inn Express down the street. Clean, New and Safe. Don't make our 'MITTSTAKE'. Big business is not always the best for the small guy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Really friendly introduction to our short stay in Fresno, the receptionist gave us a list of local restaurants and directions of how to get there. She also opened up the swimming pool for us to cool off in. Nice clean rooms and great breakfast. Easy access to the freeway. Without the associated road noise. Fantastic.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I had the worst stay. The rooms were nasty. I didn't get any sleep. There were so many bikers in the parking lot that I was scared for my life. I didn't want to go outside cause they were all drinking, arguing and fighting. My kids were crying. When I called the front desk, the lady told me “you should have not stayed here because we were going to busy." what the fudge!!!! Who says that to a guest? I asked to talk to the manager the next morning, and he wasn't there. I called back asking for a refund, and the "manager" said that he won't do anything because it was my choice to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I checked in to the hotel on July/3/2012. the experience began with the steamy small unconditioned front desk area(July in Fresno)!the check in process was the longest I experienced(and we were the only one there).we ask for baby crib-they charge $35 for the crib!!!in most of the hotels I stayed it a free service, and in the fancy ones they charge maybe half.After we got the keys we wanted to use the coin laundromat.the girl directed us to the laundromat.the room was locked, and when I asked her what's going on , she told me that one of the machines is not working, and the technician will fix it tomorrow.we decided to go to the pool.the pool was dirty, with green floor, and black dirt floats on the top. I called front desk, and the guy told me that everything is fine. when I mentioned the dirty pool, he told me that the pump motor will be replaced tomorrow.I was surprised that they fix all the hotel's problems on July 4 , and he told me how professionalism they are. absurd! the room was old, smelly, falling a part, dirty towel left on the bathroom.we were told that breakfast will be served from 6:30 till 8:45. reality: they open the little dining room at 8:15. when I asked the guy in the morning about the times, he told me they open early today-8:15 instead of 8:30. for breakfast!!!!the worst hotel and worst liars I ever saw. don't approach the place. many other good affordable hotels in Fresno.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ashlan Inn? Share your experiences!