“No Air Conditioning?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Fresno, CA
“No Air Conditioning?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

I recently had some water damage in my home and had to stay at a local hotel while repairs were being done. I decided on this hotel because it was reasonably priced and in a nice, convenient location to home and work. The first night I was there I tried adjusting the temperature, but it never cooled down in the room. This was not a regular thermostat; it just had "warmer" and "cooler" on a dial then a knob for high, medium, and low. I tried all sorts of combinations on the dial and knob, but had no luck in cooling the room down or circulating the air. I finally just went to sleep. My poor son kicked around all night because he was too warm and uncomfortable. The second night when I got back to my room, I thought I'd try it again, then called for help when I figured the system was just broken. When I told the person at the front desk about this, he explained that they are in between seasons and hadn't switched over their systems -- whatever that means. He said that the air really cools down in the summer. Well, it wasn't summer and I needed some cool air or at least some air circulating in the room since they are old and muggy. I asked if there was another room where the air worked, but he said the whole hotel is set up this way. He then suggested I open a window to get the air flowing. I explained to him that I was alone with my son, on the first floor, and didn't feel safe opening a window. Especially since we were in a corner room, along a driveway in the parking lot. I was going to ask to be moved to an upper floor, so at least I would feel safe about having the windows open, but by then my son was asleep and I didn't want to wake him and gather our stuff to move. The employee didn't even suggest a move to an upper floor...he didn't seem real concerned with our situation.

I would just caution you that if you want some fresh air and don't like to o feel all stuffy, then you should request a room off the ground level so you can at least open the windows and feel safe. This is probably only necessary in between seasons when the hotel hasn't switched over their heating/cooling system. You might just ask before booking.

Other than that, I think this is an average hotel that should use some updating.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Just stayed at the Picadilly Shaw for a conference.

The pluses: Great friendly staff, very helpful and very nice. Large rooms with refrigerators. Windows that really open. Beautifully landscaped in kind of an old ranch/valley town style with a nice looking pool area. Decent pub food, decent banquet food. Great location very close to some nice shopping, many restaurants, and the area felt safe. And free parking was nice.

The minuses: After reading about the comfortable beds from the other reviewers, I wondered if we were talking about the same hotel! The bed was hard, and the pillows were like 2 giant torpedos. Thank God I brought my own. No elevator, as this is only a two story hotel, however I had to request to be moved upstairs after checking the "locks" on the big windows on my downstairs room and feeling totally unsafe as they were flimsy and so were the windows. The stairs are concrete and in the open which would be dangerous if it was raining.
The worst, however, was the 1960's heating system--a fan to set to high, med or low, and a "dial" to adjust up for warmer and down for cooler. Or vice versa. I can't remember, because there was no adjusting that made a difference--either the heat was on, and it got hot and stayed hot, or you had to turn it off and the room got cold in about 5 minutes. There was no way to get 'warm' or "cool".....the bed had 1 nice cotton blanket and a big heavy 80's mauve bedspread. Sleep did not come easy.

The other reviewer was right-they didn't seem to pay much attention to the continental breakfast once they put it out the first time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lousy heating system
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

This is a great hotel and I have stayed her for years. Once upon a time I lived near Fresno and while looking for a house the real estate agent suggested it. We still visit Fresno fairly often and it was then and is now a good recommendation.

The staff is friendly and there is a local feel about the hotel. Well at least the good side of Fresno. It is very close to CSUF and other area attractions and there is a college town feel about it. The food is good and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. The bedding is very comfortable.

• Liked — Great staff and amenities
  • Disliked — No complaints or concerns
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

My husband and I were very pleased with this hotel. It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff were very helpful, friendly, and professional. The room was spacious. The bed was very comfortable. The location of this hotel was exceptional. Quiet and clean neighborhoods surround it. There are many shopping centers close by. The hotel also had a restaurant that we did not dine in but the meals appeared of high quality. The morning continental breakfast was good if you got up at 6am to eat it when there is some of the food available, but of those such as my husband and I who get out by 8 or 9am there is very little left especially the scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. We were very disappointed about this. They could accommodate everyone by supplying enough of these items for the whole meal time. Something else that was not very pleasant was that the tables were not cleaned off very quickly at all. The tables were all dirty and those who entered after the rush had to sit at them to eat.
NOT clean and not appealing. But, above all we would recommend this hotel to others and would most definitely stay there again if we have to opportunity to visit Fresno, California. We would give this hotel two thumbs up and a FIVE STAR rating.

• Liked — How quiet the room was.
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Room was big, and bed was very comfy. A.C. (a must-have in Fresno) was quiet and efficient. Breakfast was fine.
I really enjoyed myself (I was alone) in the pub. The food, service, and drinks were great. and there is a large flat-screen TV.
Customers ranged from hotel guests, to regulars chatting with the bartender. The atmosphere was very friendly. I wish there were more places like this.

Stayed August 2008
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

This stay was mixed for us, but overall we would recommend. Checking in took a long time. There was a bit of a line, but the staff seemed to take too much time with each guest - not because of hospitality or anything - I'm guessing the computer's reservation system might be the culprit? At any rate, the room looked good and there were even some homemade cookies. The room was spacious, but the bathroom was REALLY small -more like the smaller size Motel 6-type bathroom where two people can't be in the room at the same time. It did have a hair dryer and nice towels. The bed was also comfortable and there was a small fridge. We were in a back, second floor room, and the air conditioner worked very well in 100+ degree heat. Our big issue is that feather pillows came on the bed and when we called down to get non-allergenic replacements they said they were out. We had to spend our first night with no pillows. Nearly every other hotel we've been to has had an extra foam pillow in the closet just in case... and the others have had alternative pillows available upon request. I'm not talking about anything expensive... but since they were out the first night obviously they get requests for these things. One other small thing - when we turned down the bed, there were several hairs on the sheets, though they looked freshly changed. On the whole, though, this is one of the better options for staying in Fresno (I lived there for 19 years so it's not a guess). The location is good and it's much safer than the hotels downtown.

• Liked — the location, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — long check-in wait, small bathroom, no hypo-allergenic pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
O'Fallon, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the Piccadilly one night. The rooms are very spacious, however we experienced a few problems. We first were given a room on the first floor. The floor above us was very creaky and we could hear every footstep made above us. It felt like the ceiling was going to cave in. Finally, we requested a move to the second floor.

On the second floor, the a/c wasn't already on so the room felt stuffy and hot. We had a lot of trouble finally getting it to work and it was pretty loud when we got it on.

The pillows were small and lumpy (but I am difficult to please where pillows are concerned).

The lobby was beautiful and inviting. The staff was helpful, if not overly friendly. I felt it would be overpriced if we didn't get the internet special.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Piccadilly Inn Shaw? Share your experiences!