“Room and Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
San Diego
“Room and Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at your Inn a year ago and was comfortable with the service and the room. We just left your Inn June 2nd 2013 and was quite disappointed in the change of customer service and in our room we killed one cockroach and came home with one in our suitcase!!!

We have not been to a hotel or inn that has had bugs in 30 years!!! The commode would run constantly after flushing. The customer service greeting when we arrived was so not helpful or courteous when we asked if we could check in early if our room was ready!!

You have a bartender who does not know how to make cocktails at your bar. Two women order some kind of Martini and they returned them because they did not taste the way they should. The bartender said he googled the recipe and made it exactly as it said!! I was sitting at the bar when this conversation happened. Also, you have a bar for your customers and patrons but do not carry champagne??? what if we were a couple celebrating our anniversary?? no such luck because you do not sell enough to have on the premises! Very disappointing indeed and you lost money at the bar.

We come to Clovis every year for the Track & Field Championships and will not be returning again.

Room Tip: Get a room towards the back of Inn because the Shaw Avenue is very noisy with traffic if you like qu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Piccadilly Inn in Fresno. My family flew in on a late flight and needed a place to crash before picking up our rental RV the next day, and so we stayed at the Piccadilly Inn. Please note that this is NOT the Piccadilly Inn by the airport, this is several miles away. It's straightforward to get to while driving, but if you need something by the airport, this isn't it.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I was especially pleased by the breakfast they had in the morning - they had danishes and cereal and other breakfasty things you usually find in hotels, but they also had sausage and eggs that were quite good! And the room the breakfast was served in was large and had a lot of character, unlike most dreary breakfast setups you find at other places.

I only have two gripes about the Piccadilly Inn. First, when we arrived, it was quite hot in Fresno and the in-room air conditioner was pretty feeble and it took several hours to cool down the room. It did work eventually though, and I actually woke up feeling cold. Second, the shower head was quite low - I'm 5'10" (so not really that tall) and it was slightly too low for me.

Apart from that, though, it was great. If I'm ever back in Fresno (which is unlikely, but you never know) I'll try to stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is actually several two-story buildings with outside stairs to access the second floors. I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Piccadilly Inn Shaw for your Fresno visit. We value your feedback. Fresno has had some warm weather early this year, so a working air conditioner is a must. I am sorry it took some time to cool down, but glad that it finally did. Our breakfast is very important to us and our guests, so I am glad you enjoyed all we had to offer. If you ever find yourself back in Fresno, please FresYes and stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The grounds of this hotel are very interesting, looks like an old apartment complex with studios. There are many building with rooms in it and it makes it a little hard to find your room. The pictures looked great online but I was NOT happy when we arrived. The building that our room was in looked like it had old carpets and weird things on the doors. The rooms are very outdated although there are granite countertops in the bathroom. The beds were extremely hard, I couldn't sleep. I cannot comment on check-in because I stayed in the car while my husband went it. He did mention there were drunk chicks at the bar being pretty loud. The pool is separate from the hot tub, that was nice. Breakfast was boring, we went around 8:40am and the biscuits were rock hard but the gravy was pretty good.

I think if they removed the wallpaper and painted the rooms a neutral color that would really update the room and lighten it, it was a bit dark. Change the bedding, window coverings, old gold lamps to something newer.

Overall, this place is not 4 stars, maybe 3. With some updates this place could definitely be 4 stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. We are on 7 ½ acres with many single level bungalows, we strive to give good room directions to our guest to assist them to getting to our rooms, I am sorry that you had trouble locating your room. We have new owners and part of our updates have been granite and next will be the bedding, our goal is to change out lamps and wallpaper in the future as well. Our complimentary breakfast is very important to us, so we appreciate the comments; we change items we offer throughout the year so Biscuits will be one of the changes. We look forward to your next stay with us and hopefully we can be at 4 stars
Monterey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Here for our daughter's graduation from California State University Fresno. Comfortable beds, nice TV, clean. Very good hot breakfast., scrambled eggs sausages, waffles, oatmeal, toast, mini muffins, cold cereal, OJ, coffee, ice water, fresh fruit. Ample seating, helpful and attentive staff. Will stay here again! Great value. Comfortable for my 80 some year old mother. My husband and I went to college here 30 years ago and remembered this hotel, it was a step down memory lane.

Room Tip: Small refrigerator in room. Lots of mirrors for us girls! FYI if you are traveling with an elderly...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Piccadilly Inn Shaw and leaving your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad our staff was helpful and your family was comfortable. Yes, we have been serving Fresno for over 35 years, we are under new ownership and they understand how important it is to be part of the Community. Go Dogs!! We look forward to your next visit with us.
Roseville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My family spent two nights here for a softball tournament. I didn't expect much and my expectations were met. The rooms are very dated, but good sized. When we first entered the room it smelled musty but after an hour with the windows open it was fine. While the AC controls had what appeared to be a thermostat and fan control, it seemed to only function as heat or cold and the fan control only worked on high. basically it could have been replaced by a single AC on/off switch. The first night I went to sleep warm and woke up at 3:00 am freezing. We managed it okay once we realized what was up. There was a silverfish (bug) in the tub, but honestly who's home doesn't have the occasional bug crawl in. I saw no others the rest of my stay, so I'll give a pass on that. The pool was clean and the desk responded promptly to a call for a request for the pool towels to be restocked. Breakfast pretty standard, self serve waffle makers, heat and serve sausage and scrambled eggs from a bag. This review may seem negative, but that is not the intent. My stay was exactly what I expected from the location and the price point.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay, we appreciate it. Thank you for the suggestion on the single AC on/off switch. I am happy we met your overall expectations. We look forward to your next stay.
Portola Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was aware that the hotel was dated, but yet clean. Found it that way. Was visiting for a funeral and just was in need of a nights rest. When I went turn off the lights they would turn off but came back on 5 minutes or so later. I did this multiple times and realized something was wrong. The young man at the desk tried to help but his suggestions were not possible...ie. come to the front desk and I will give you paper and tape to cover the light sensor. I am a female alone, unpacked and in my pajama's, multiple buildings away...then I asked if I could move rooms but not my belongings. Yes, I could, but again, buildings away. I opted to stay put. The next morning I went to the front desk, was told to come back when the manager arrived, did so. The manager was across the street having a meeting. The front desk attendant was so rude. I didn't want anything but how about an apology for the inconvenience. This establishment has an appalling lack of customer appreciation and I would never patronize this business again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I apologize that you did not enjoy you’re stay with us. We clearly had many opportunities to make your stay more enjoyable. We have had additional training with staff regarding customer appreciation and how to properly explain how to use the lights switches in guest rooms. Again, I do apologize, this is not our standard operating procedures, and hope you would give us another chance if you’re every back in Fresno.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We really liked this hotel. After the registration and room assignment process, we proceeded to our room, and finding it a bit stuffy, we turned on the air conditioner. It ran for about a minute and stopped. We turned the AC back on and got the same result. We contacted the front desk for assistance. Within three minutes three of the hotel’s maintenance staff arrived to analyze the problem and determined that the unit needed to be replaced. They removed the old unit and within ten minutes a new unit was installed! That’s customer service at its finest! The clean, spacious room was well maintained and included a refrigerator; which we found most handy, free internet access, and one of the most comfortable beds we’ve ever slept on. We found the staff, from front desk to housekeeping to maintenance, to be courteous, friendly, and professional. We especially liked and appreciated Laura, from housekeeping, who attended our room. She made sure we had plenty of clean towels and anything else we needed. Special thanks to her; she was the greatest. The hotel also offers an expanded continental breakfast which we enjoyed every morning. The hotel also has a lovely courtyard which includes a pool and several orange trees with fresh oranges; in season of course. You will find it difficult to find similar accommodations anywhere for less than one hundred dollars per night. We would definitely stay there again and we highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
PiccShawGM, General Manager at Piccadilly Inn Shaw, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We are happy to hear that we met your expectations during your stay with us. I appreciate your feedback about the staff, grounds and overall experience. We hope when you are back in the Fresno area you choose the Piccadilly Inn Shaw for your next visit.

Been to Piccadilly Inn Shaw? Share your experiences!